Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:21:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Machine (looking)

Started by RandyOnR3, December 10, 2011, 10:14:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyOnR3

Been looking at a few new machines and would like to get a little feedback.

At present I'm using a Juki 1181 walking foot for the major part of my work and   
my backup in a Juki 5550 that we use part time when overloaded..
  Adding another person to the mix and adding another machine as well.. I'll be moving the 1181 (as its a very simple machine to use) to the new person and upgrading for myself...
  As said, I love the simplicty of the 1181 and the smothness of the opperation but found that in some situations it lacks the agility or custom work.. (tight corners on fabrics are a bear)..
  I'm thinking a needle feed with an optional "small" foot would be of great use..
Been looking at the Juki 1541..
  Cost is an issue as always is, but its a workplace, what can I say..

sofadoc

If you've had success with the 1181, then I think the 1541 would be the next logical step up for you. But if budget is an issue, you'd probably be happy with a less expensive Consew, or Chandler.
Either machine would represent an upgrade over the 1181.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I own a Juki 1541.  Mine is the top of the line model, fully automatic with a servo motor.  But I've worked on a "stripped", basic 1508 (same head with a vertical axis bobbin) for several years now and it's been a steady, "work horse", delivering the "goods" day in/day out in spite of my boss's neglect.  My experience with that model and my knowledge of automatic backtack and undertrimmers directed me to the Juki website and several others, to boot. 

I wanted a horiontal axis bobbin and when I sold my elderly Juki 562 in '10 I already knew what I wanted to purchase as a replacement.  The 1541is a fabulous machine.  BUT, there are several other very nice machines along the same lines that are considerably less money.  I really did my homework about my purchase (big money) and had been saving for the investment for a pretty long time before I pulled the trigger. 

There are two "wicked machine guys" on this forum (Gregg@Keystone and Bob@Toledo) and they will help you make a good choice for your shop.  You won't go wrong with either of them; they're in business to make sure you're properly set up for the work you do. 

I absolutely love my Juki but there are several other machines that will fill your need for less moeny "up front".  The real key is how committed you are to MAINTAINING your equipment and working with your mechanic on a regular schedule!  I am a firm believer in in an established relationship with your mechanic!

JuneC

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

If your on a budget I highly recommend the Chandler 406. It is an awesome machine and I have had excellent luck with it over the last two years. I believe that all your Juki attachments will fit on the Chandler.

The Chandler is a bottom feed big bobbin machine. I myself prefer the bottom feed over the top feed simply because you do not have the thread tangle issues at the start of the stitch run. My Juki 563 is also a great machine but as I stated I prefer the bottom feed bobbin system. I am still forgetting to hold the thread when I start stitch runs. :)

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

If you like Juki, and you want a bottom loader, there are good machines out there, but none better than the Juki DNU-1541 series, no doubt.

RandyOnR3

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on December 12, 2011, 06:04:03 am
If you like Juki, and you want a bottom loader, there are good machines out there, but none better than the Juki DNU-1541 series, no doubt.

Thats what I pretty much figured.. just didnt know if there was another hideing out there that I had not concidered.........
Thanks for the replys...............

R.A.F. CaNvAs

Try one of these ...
    http://www.sewingmachinery.com/seiko/seiko-SK-2B.html
  Sews straight thru' fingers and not even breaks the needle,
     The needle is a nail with a hole in it tho'.
         The 1inch stitch length comes in handy for those intricate jobs.
          ::)