Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:14:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pontoon cover peppy style

Started by Mike8560, December 10, 2011, 08:21:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

December 10, 2011, 08:21:01 am Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:27:28 am by Mike8560
I patterned it Monday morning made it  sewed it last night and installed it this morning
o had to do it floating and thought it had a helm window on the starboard I deci ded I'd half pattern it also and ignore the window. Making the  main piece as if no window then patterned a bump for the window.   Making the bump on the one side and not on the other.
First time I've tried that.  
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/7140b95d.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/photo2-10.jpg

JuneC

Looks really great! Mike.  I've never done a pontoon anything.  They're not popular on this coast.  Now if you wanted a center-console anything...  The fit looks really nice and shouldn't puddle anywhere.  That's the issue with those flat covers - gotta make sure the water runs off in the monsoon season.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

CreativeCanvas

Boy don't that look familiar Mike. Did one very similar week before last.

http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/71V153/

Doug

Mike8560

Looks good doug I don't see to many toon that have closed side like theese two.  Younwerelick on the trailer  did you patternt with the blank of patterning material?
In  the 7 Years I had a shop here in fl I probly had less then 100 boats  come to me do you have many?

Peppy

Awesome Mike! That's exactly how I'd do it. Looks really good! Now, did you double cut the sunbrella with the hot knife?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

No pep I'd be afraid they would not be even I cut the left side then thebright with the cutout for the helm and added the helm pocket. But half patterns is the way to go most covers I pattern is either in the water or on a lift so. Can half pattern from inside the boat  where a full pattern I could not be inside.
I just run a strapping tape up the center with proper hight supports where I want the poles and tape them side to side for sability then go to town.

CreativeCanvas

Quote from: Mike8560 on December 12, 2011, 06:46:00 pm
Looks good doug I don't see to many toon that have closed side like theese two.  Younwerelick on the trailer  did you patternt with the blank of patterning material?
In  the 7 Years I had a shop here in fl I probly had less then 100 boats  come to me do you have many?
Thanks Mike. Yeah it sure is nice to have the boat in front of the shop. Sadly that doesn't happen very often.  But if that is the case I try to have a blank sewn up before the boat gets there. Why waste time patterning. If everything works as planned I can usually knock em out in a day.

Now that I know a lil more about how your half patterning system works I might have to give it a try. On a smaller scale for starters ... cuz I can see myself screwin' that one up big time!  Heh heh heh

Doug   

Mike8560

Yes it is safe to test before nmobed here to fl I was in new Hampshire. My shop as on the water and inhad a small shop I made a top then patterned a front window ect one at a time and all my covers with blanks as thwy were on trailer or at the dock. When I decided to move south I knew I would have the same working enviorment and would need to learn patterning. So I bought all the tape from the palmetto school and tried it out on a few boats in the lot pattern  then made them   It worked fine but was still intimidating when ndod my first 40 plus bridge bimin and enclosure all in one patterning then to bring out he top and 13 windows  an hour away 

Peppy

Boy, I feel for you guys. I'd say 70% of jobs come to me. Really only travel for sailboats in the summer or to storage buildings in the winter. This year we even got the sailboats to come to us!

Nice cover CC! I like the assymetrical stylings! The half a pattern method wouldn't work on that one! The only hard part making a pontoon cover on posts like Mikes is keeping the posts from leaning off center with the weight of the pattern. I write down the distance from the rail to the post so I can check before I take off the pattern. If it's slipped a lot you can account for it when cutting out. It isn't a huge deal really when the posts are tall, it'll still fit but'll have a few wrinkles in the front/back.

Mike 2 years ago when I first came here you said you didn't do many 1/2 pats. Now here you are! Maybe in 2 more years you'll start double cutting the sunbrella and find out why it is I make 1/2 patterns. ;)   

Mike8560

Peppy CC's boat was about Identical to mine    He patterned with a blank so naturaly
kept the cover high as the window.  What I did was make my pattern half on the window side but i supperted my poles with a strappng tape down the centerline  with side to side tapes to center them from falling over. I had to crawl under tape. I patterned the side around the window with a seperate pattern pocket oven the window  then I copied that side as is and for te port I just eliminated the window bump up and cut the fabric flat.  No pocket.  It worked out great. 
The driving just has to be figgured in along with work all winter as before up north no work. Up birth for years I never went anywere all work was at my shop. I was spoiled I could come to work on my motorcycle or take my boat to work if I had dock space. That was fun I slays get detoured on my way home. ;)

Peppy

Quote from: Mike8560 on December 14, 2011, 05:35:03 am
  What I did was make my pattern half on the window side but i supperted my poles with a strappng tape down the centerline  with side to side tapes to center them from falling over. I had to crawl under tape. I patterned the side around the window with a seperate pattern pocket oven the window  then I copied that side as is and for te port I just eliminated the window bump up and cut the fabric flat.  No pocket.  It worked out great. 

I get you Mike, I've done that a few times myself ;)

CreativeCanvas

Quote from: Peppy on December 14, 2011, 04:40:59 amNice cover CC! I like the assymetrical stylings! The half a pattern method wouldn't work on that one!
Nah, I reckon not Peppy. Ha! Hey on poontoon boats I just let the center seam lay where it falls. Customers don't seem to mind? Heh heh

But seriously the advantage at least in this case I was able to get the 120" blank to cover the boat without needing to add material stb of the windshield?

Doug

Peppy

I just got thinking... What do you mean Peppy style? THIS is Peppy style-

;)

Mike

peppy sty;e is only patternong 1/2 the boat.  i half patterned a stracraft centercondsole seck boat with a t tp[ this afternoon. 
[a[[ey cuttoing it would be folfoing it in half first . i cant on this  one case the port side and walkthu cut outs atat are not on the right

Peppy

Quote from: Mike on January 12, 2012, 03:31:59 pm
peppy sty;e is only patternong 1/2 the boat.  i half patterned a stracraft centercondsole seck boat with a t tp[ this afternoon. 
[a[[ey cuttoing it would be folfoing it in half first . i cant on this  one case the port side and walkthu cut outs atat are not on the right

i was just joshing Mike. And I guess I forgot to add this picture