Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

August 21, 2024, 09:19:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Quick question for those who use Craigslist

Started by SHHR, December 08, 2011, 07:25:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SHHR

I'm fairly new to using Craigslist. I've occasionally searched it for Equipment for sale, but just started using it recently to advertise some items I don't need anymore. I've put some old project cars I have on there and started getting hits right away. I sold a truck to a guy from hours away, and the deal went great. Here's my concern since I'm new to this; I have another project vehicle to which several has responded. Most have asked for more pictures or details on it and many I've spoken to in person and so far no one has called back other than a few offers that I simply couldn't accept. I have had a couple of responses on it however that the e-mail I received simply asked if (and I quote) "is the item still available" and another that asked "is Craigslist item # xxxxxxxxxxxx still available" (not x's, but the actual #). I sent off an e-mail to the latter one which came back undeliverable, and the first one I just replied to; Yes, It is, and am waiting to hear back. Both of these were e-mails with Different women's names and honestly can see too many females interested in a 1947 Pontiac project car. I could see if the response I got included something like; "hey is your pontiac still available, or could I see Pics of it, But "is the item still available" just seems too generic and am worried about a scam. I haven't disclosed any personal info yet and the car will have to be picked up here in person and cash paid when recieved, so I'm not too worried. What are your guys' thoughts on it? I know many of you are seasoned veterans in selling online and using Craigslist, so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kyle

BigJohn

I have used it often for smaller items/ sales, and I have received several questionable replies but never anything that I considered a serious threat. I would only consider cash sales with no or very little change given, as in my area it's happened that the cash was counterfeit and they where only looking for the good cash they received as change. If you must accept a money order make sure it's a US Postal money order from the post office for the exact amount, as many of the other brands are stolen.

SHHR

Turns out it was a scam. When I get home back on my home computer, I'll copy the response I just got and put on here. It's an obvious foreigner posing as a marine engineer out to sea who has no access to funds except for paypal. She asked for my private paypal info.

kodydog

Unfortunately, sometimes you have to play the game until your absolutely sure its a scam. Hate to miss a sale because you "think" its bogus. 9 times out of 10 your gut feeling is right and you hate to waist time dealing with these people, but it may be someone who's not familiar with dealing on craigslist and doesn't know the key words to use to not sound like a scamer.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SHHR

Here's the reply I got earlier:

Thanks for the quick response, i am buying this item as a birthday gift for dad and i am at sea at this moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want this item to be a surprise for dad so i wont let him know anything about the item until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with the item,.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the item and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up, go on www.paypal.com  and get it set up ,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address and name you use for the registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.my dad have pick up agent that will come and pick the item up after i have made the payment.I would really like to come to see the item, but due to my work frame that would not be possible, I am a Marine engineer , I am now on the ship, but if you got the item pics. you can send to me to have a good look

Are you the first owner of the item ,
Does the item have any mechanical disabilities presently?
What is your reason for selling it?

I'm sorry, just want to be sure about the sale before i proceed.
Note: I will pay you $2,000.00 for the item.Get back to me with your PayPal e-mail asap.
Regards

I always have people try to negotiate the price down, not offer $500 more than the asking price.

Kyle

Mojo

There are so many scams on Craigslist and that e-mail is one of the new ones. They are trying to get info on peoples Paypal accounts.

Typically what I do is demand cash and nothing but cash. No checks, money orders, certified checks, postal checks or anything else and I state that in my ad. I sold my project car and told the interested buyer to bring cash. He did. :)

Of course you also get all the e-mails of people wanting to trade you something for the car or item. I had offers of rifles, shotguns, quad runners, boats, you name it.

I typically eliminate alot of these headaches by stating in my ad " Cash only, no paypal and No Trades ".

I am going to be listing my wifes motorcycle next week. If someone wants to come see it I am going to meet them at Sam's parking lot. I do not want anyone around my house. We have had several people in my area robbed and burglarized by people who responded to craigslist ad's.

My project car didn't run so the guy came to my house. But I made sure he met my German Shepherds and I also made sure he seen the 9 mm strapped to my hip. :)

Unfortunately we have some bad people in this country and it is a shame to have to take these precautions. But it is what it is. You really need to be careful with some people who respond to these ad's. Especially with the bad economy. people are desperate. :(

Chris

SHHR

That's what I've been doing. I still get people who want to trade, I was tempted the other day when a guy said he had an industrial Consew for trade on the car. Turns out it was not a walking foot machine, then when he told me what he was asking for it I immediatley went on Keystones site and they were selling it for $200 less brand new! I just sold a T-bucket frame I had this morning, but I met the guy in town to make the deal for the same reason as you did, Chris.
Kyle

jojo

I love craigslist, but the whole point of it's existance is so you can sell things locally. Once they start talking about shipping, forget about it. As for an email that asks if the item is still available, I simply don't answer it, because they are not serious. If they really want it, they will call. Or they will ask more questions about the item in the email. And I put in the ad that I won't answer calls from blocked numbers. 
I've bought, sold, found jobs, and advertised my services all on craigslist very successfully.

SHHR

I guess i ought to send an e-mail back to ask who they're a marine engineer with. A Somali pirate company? ;D
Kyle

JuneC

Counterfeiting is a BIG business in S. Florida. 

"This week we've almost hit $85,0000 in counterfeit currency, and we're not even at Black Friday yet," said Ron Remer with the U.S. Secret Service counterfeit division in Miami .

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/counterfeit-bill-use-highest-during-holiday-shopping-in-south-florida#ixzz1fzXqTu8q

What they're doing is bleaching the ink off REAL $5.00 bills and reprinting them as $100's.  So, unless you look for the watermark, you'd never know it was a counterfeit.  They pass the "magic marker" test with flying colors since the paper is genuine currency.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

I'm trying to understand how this particular scam works. Was he going to pluck money from Kyle's account through Paypal? Is that possible?
I thought Paypal was a "One-way trip". In other words, I can authorize a payment TO you, but not FROM you (to me).
I've only used Paypal to buy stuff on E-bay, but I've never set it up to receive payments through Paypal.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: JuneC on December 08, 2011, 04:13:45 pm
Counterfeiting is a BIG business in S. Florida.
What they're doing is bleaching the ink off REAL $5.00 bills and reprinting them as $100's.  So, unless you look for the watermark, you'd never know it was a counterfeit.  They pass the "magic marker" test with flying colors since the paper is genuine currency.
June

Good time to bone up on faces. I had to look this up. Lincoln = $5.00. Franklin = $100
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

JuneC

Sofadoc, read this thread.  The info requested in the e-mail is only so the scammer can start phishing for more info.

http://resources.alibaba.com/topic/10493/Beware_of_the_paypal_login_scam_and_identity_theft_.htm

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

TheJoe

SHHR, all the text you received was copied and pasted, look how many times the word "Item" appears.  They did not even read your ad, the email might have even been sent by a computer program.

BUT, I wouldn't let the scam stuff bother you.  If you continue to use Craigslist you will learn quickly to spot these things.
Like said above, Craigslist is a local venue.  Shipping should never come up, and if it does, they should say, "will you ship this to xxxx?", and more importantly ask how much shipping will cost.  And later how they should best pay you, not "This is how I have to pay."

No BS about being out of the country, accounts not working properly, echecks, or direct bank deposits.  These are scams for sure.

I have actually found things on craigslist and had them shipped, but they were specialty items, I was clear on my intentions, where I was from, and offered my phone number and later my fedex account number to ship the items.  You should expect the same friendliness if you are asked about shipping.  You can simply put "NO SHIPPING" in the ad, then ignore any sort of request for shipping.  If you are open to shipping, provide info in your ad to give the buyer confidence.  Such as I also sell on ebay, my username is xxx and I have 100% positive feedback or, I have owned xxx business in xxxx, xx for xx years.  If someone wants to paypal, ask them for their paypal email address and tell them you will send them an invoice through paypal, don't give your paypal email address to them.

Nearly every Craigslist ad I have posted has resulted in a spam or scam email, IF IT LOOKS THE LEAST BIT PHISHY (pun intended) DON'T REPLY!
If I am unsure I will google the email address provided.  A legitimate email address will usually show up on google somewhere, a forum, facebook page, online profile etc. as someone who would search or buy online probably has a history and/or online presence.  I also use a special email address just for these types of sales.  I never give a phone number out unless I know for sure the buyer is legit.

Tips to spot BS:

An interested buyer will not say "Is the ITEM still for sale?"  They will say "I'm very interested in the CHAIR (or specific item you have for sale), when can I come look at it?"

Legit buyers usually have specific questions about the item.  They will not ask "what is the condition of this item"  They will ask "Are the legs of this chair sturdy"  or "what type of fabric was the chair recovered in?"

I sold a bunch of used building materials from our recent home renovation,  the first question from almost everyone that ended up buying stuff asked "what part of town are you in?"

Bottom line, a real buyer will be easy to spot, a fake buyer will have you guessing.

Hope this helps ya, I make a living with an online business.  I've also bought and sold many cars online among many other random things locally.  Never had a bad experience(except for a couple aholes on ebay, but this comes with high volume), you'll meet nice and interesting people and that never hurts business.

Joe