Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 01:31:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Old "Barrel" style seat base patterns?

Started by CreativeCanvas, December 05, 2011, 03:37:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CreativeCanvas

December 05, 2011, 03:37:59 pm Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:41:11 pm by CreativeCanvas
Hi y'all. Finally doing a lil upholstery work & interior restoration on my own boat for a change. Would anyone happen to have a pattern for building an old school barrel seat base? It's an '81 Baja 15ss but I'd reckon other manufacturers had similar designs.

Thanks for any help!

Mike8560

Are you talking about the structure of the seat?

CreativeCanvas

December 06, 2011, 12:57:26 pm #2 Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:48:38 pm by CreativeCanvas
Quote from: Mike8560 on December 06, 2011, 03:17:07 am
Are you talking about the structure of the seat?
Yup that's what I mean, the base/frame itself. I guess I could mock it up in cardboard? Just thought somebody might have a plan/pattern. Thanks for the reply.

Peppy

As a pattern maker I try to throw out as many patterns as I can. Job security. I made a bucket seat last year and took 'during' shots-

This is the only one I've made from scratch. I used plywood, 7/8" aluminum, and plastic sheet (HDPE). If you're a fibreglasser it'll be no sweat.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

CreativeCanvas

Thanks Peppy. I've been admiring your work. Like that seat, boat too.

I'm looking to build something along the same line with a lil more lateral support. BUT I don't wanna be hittin the sides with my elbows when I'm tryin to turn?

Thanks for the reply.

Doug

Peppy

Thanks! I used an old boat top bar and just goofed around bending it and it turned out pretty good so I used it. I think it would be easy(ish) to bend a new bar to use as a basis for the structure of the seat. If you know how to weld, all it takes is a crude frame to start with. I've seen inside some pontoon furniture, and it is indeed crude. I wouldn't get too carried away making it all ss or rot proof, it'd just add to the expense and not so much the knowledge. 

The real trick is making it comfortable. Thats what I spent the most time on. Really you just gotta (have a plan) then goof around and be prepared to waste materials. A lot of time could be saved if you can copy one you like.

The next one I make, I'll probably use a bar again for the form and glass in the back. I'd use separate bars for the arms and join them with fittings or just pop rivet a plate over them, or something.

Mike8560

Most I've done are all one piece plastic do I've not had to build one. 
Is this creative cabmvas in englewood?

fragged8

Englewood, ?  might be the guy i met in iboats forum ?

Don't you lucky chaps in the US have suppliers who sell plastic seat blanks ?

I'm sure i've seen them somewhere.

Rich

JuneC

I think I'd just mock something up in cardboard then mess with it a bit like Peppy says.  Or, keep an eye on Craigslist for some seats you could strip down and rebuild.  I'm going to be restoring a POS 1989 22' Pachenga sometime when I get time (our own project boat) and the barrel seats in that are molded plastic, one piece.  If I were to replicate, I'd make two pieces from Starboard Lite - the bottom and wrap-around back.  It bends pretty nicely when heated properly. 

On the other hand, a lot of boat builders simply cut 3/4" plastic, screwed together, then add the curves with the foam.  That's what's under the covers of Hydra Sports helm seats like this. I was quite surprised the first time I pulled the skin off one.

http://www.boatingbay.com/listings/photos/88244_13167245394e7b9f3b03041.jpg

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Sea Ray pachaga? I tried to buy one about a 89 around  98.  I love d thoose are you going to sell it?

CreativeCanvas

December 07, 2011, 03:22:44 pm #10 Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:33:28 pm by CreativeCanvas
Quote from: Mike8560 on December 07, 2011, 04:11:58 am
Most I've done are all one piece plastic do I've not had to build one.  
Is this creative cabmvas in englewood?
Yup that's me Mike. Where is your shop now?

Thanks for the replys & input folks. 'Preciate it. I am keeping my eyes open for some suitable blanks but'll probly just start monkeying around with some cardboard mock ups.

Ya I was thinking I'd use a pvc product. Not necessarily $tarboard. Lumberyard cross the street gives us a purty good price on 'Kleer' and 'Azec'?

Doug

edit: Yo Rich yes I do believe we've spoken on iboats before.  

Mike8560

I moved my shop across the harbor topper charlotee about 3 years ago.  Then a year ago I  just went mobile   

Peppy

I've never really had any luck bending big sheets of plastic. How do you get them hot enough all over? My heat gun won't cut it and it's pretty ballsy, and I've only been trying 1/8" stuff. Darren said a barbeque but the pieces I would want to bend are usually large. Then when it's hot what do you form it over? Will cardboard be strong enough? I don't know much about fibreglass TBH but couldn't you 'paint' the cardboard with resin then glass over it after it dried?

JuneC

December 08, 2011, 07:04:22 am #13 Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:11:38 am by JuneC
Peppy, I've done large bends in 1/2" board with just a heat gun.  The trick is to heat slowly, not with super high heat and to keep the gun moving.  If you move too fast or get too aggressive, the surface will melt long before the inner core is soft enough to bend.  It can take 15 to 20 minutes to get a 20" high sheet warm enough to bend.  Heat from both sides.  It's kinda funny, you'll heat and try to bend repeatedly and one sec it won't budge and the next sec it'll bend like Strataglass.  

Mike, the Pachanga will be ours to keep, but I guess everything has a price.  We're doing a deck-off rebuild on it but haven't done anything yet except remove the cockpit seats and rubrail.  The gas tank has to be replaced - it's leaking.  We have a 502 Mercruiser we're going to install.  Still looking for a new or good condition outdrive.  When I say "project" boat, I mean "PROJECT"  ???

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

CreativeCanvas

Found out a buddy of mine just aquired an old Checkmate jet boat. Interior rough but all there. That oughta give me a good reference point and I can start tweaking from there? Gonna try to get over there Sat afternoon'n take a look.

Yo Mike. Brian @ Unique Upholstery in Venice has a Pachanga of around the same vintage as June's project. Cool boat but I always thought it was rather anemic with the small block. We call it the 'Pinocha' btw...  But I reckon a 502 oughta cure that problem in a jiffy?

Yo Peppy. I don't see why one couldn't glass over any form that was rigid enough. People do it all the time? Been thinking about that too. Have some biax and Tuff Stuff composite board left over from my last boat project.

Doug