Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 03:24:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New to the Discussion Board.

Started by ibstitchen, December 04, 2011, 05:46:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ibstitchen

Just wanted to say hello. I'm a newbie here but not a newbie to upholstery. (I got involved in upholstery in 1980)I've popped in and out of this discussion board for a few month and enjoyed the comments and helpful advice. I mainly work on furniture, but I also work on aircraft seats and boat seats.  I've learned a lot from many of your comments on your marine upholstery which I'm fairly newto.  Hope you wont mind in the future if I pop in with a question or two, maybe three or four!

Thanks

SHHR

Welcome aboard, Just jump in and hang on for the ride!
Kyle

MinUph

Welcome IB,
  Glad to see you introduce yourself. I'm sure you will he helped and be helpful here.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Welcome IB, and ask away. Can't always guarantee a ready response but we'll give it our best try.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Ok class, let's conjugate the verb "Stitchen"
Repeat after me
I be stitchen
You be stitchen
He be stitchen
She be stitchen
We be stitchen

Anyway, welcome ibstitchen. Beware of Kody. He's probably gonna try to sell you some bottom land.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on December 04, 2011, 06:33:27 pm
Anyway, welcome ibstitchen. Beware of Kody. He's probably gonna try to sell you some bottom land.

Hay Hay Hay. I prefer to call it premium investment property.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

ibstitchen

Thanks for the welcome!! I'm sure I will learn a lot here.  I've enjoyed reading everyone comments, some have been really funny!  How did I come up with IBSTITCHEN?  My shop is here at the house and sometimes the wife will call me out at the shop and ask what are you doing?  My reply...I be stitchen...

Thanks for the warning sofadoc....I'll keep one eye on kodydog!

Grebo

December 05, 2011, 01:49:40 am #7 Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:51:07 am by Grebo
Welcome from Sunny Spain as well  ;D

Don 't think we are ignoring you, we just live in another world. Well time zone anyway  :P
Sometimes we need a translation service, but we get there in the end  ::)

Suzi

ibstitchen

Mojo

Welcome aboard. Always great to see new members posting.

:)

Chris

gene

December 05, 2011, 04:07:26 pm #10 Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:08:05 pm by gene
Mr. I. B. Stichen,

Welcome to our board. You will find that many solutions offered to presented problems involve either screwing it or conjugating it.

I have a question for you. Have you ever gotten into buying old, beat up furniture and redoing them and then reselling them? We have talked about this a few times on this board.

I see so many great pieces of furniture that will last another 100 years if redone from the frame up. I haven't seen a market for this "high end" type of work.

You mentioned buying and selling antiques on another thread which is why I thought to ask you about this issue.

Thank you.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike8560

ibstitchen

Hi Gene & Mike. Thanks for the welcome!

Yes Gene I've rebuilt  many old antique sofas and chairs through the years.  I love doing it.  Especially old chairs.  Recently at an antique auction I bought four cain bottom chairs that were sitting up on some piled up furniture.  I was told they had been up there for a long time. All of them were built around the 1880's.  When I get caught up on my work I will post the photo's of them. The oldest of the four is what they call a lady's rocker.  It's small and needs lot's of work. It's going to be my first project out of the four.  We recently rescued an old "Cowboys Rocker" with an old cow hide on it. All the hair was rubbed off the hide. The wife took it on as a project. In the next few days I will try to throw up some photo's of it. It was in pretty bad shape but now looks brand new again. It now sits proudly in our living room! If you take a look at my website you will see an 1880's Eastlake chair I rescued from an antique dealer. I rebuilt it and put it in my office.

ibstitchen

Gene...I didn't answer your question about rebuilding and selling antiques.  Here in TX. antiques in general are still selling well although the market has slowed down.  As far as the upholstered antiques go, such as sofas, they are harder to sell here in this part of TX. Maybe the market is better else where.  To strip one down and rebuild it from the frame up, sell it and make a profit is tough to do. Maybe because the younger generation for the most part do not have an appreciation for antiques and the quality in which they were built. They are growing up in a world where almost everything is mass produced throw away junk.   My hats off to the individuals and small businesses that continue the tradition of building quality furniture!   Everytime I see an 100 yr. + sofa that needs repairs I want to take it home and restore it.  I mainly stick to chairs because they are easier to sell. I agree with you on the quality of the older furniture they are solid and if restored right they will last forever. What I do see at the antique auctions is that a lot of individuals that are not dealers are there to buy tables, dressers and china cabinets etc. because of the quality of the antiques. Many of the dealers bring them to auction and have had them refinished. There is definitely a market for refinished antiques now days. So hopefully we are seeing people tired of spending their hard earned money on cheap throw away furniture. Hopefully we upholsterers that work on furniture will stay busy for years to come.

bobbin

Late to this thread, but having viewed the revival of the Eastlake chair I am mightily impressed (I love the fabric)!  You're going to fit right in around here, and it is nice to see a new face chime in.  The more the merrier, right?