Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 19, 2024, 09:12:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What was the stupidest job you were asked to do.

Started by Mike8560, December 03, 2011, 10:57:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

Suzi I just told a guy it would be easier for me a make a new bag to hold all his cushion then to take apart the odd on e he had re cut. It and add Seams  to make it a longer bag
new material and less labor. Same price   

sofadoc

Back in the day, I had a few customers that would buy those Fingerhut sofa covers, and bring them to me to alter.
Their jaw would drop when I quoted them a price greater than the original cost of the cover.
They REALLY thought they could order a $40 cover from a catalog, pay me $10 to alter it, and VOILA...new sofa!!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Why can't I get custom work at a Walmart price?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Willie

I made some dog hangers for a pet groomer.  I just thought it was pretty strange except when i went to see them - -  it really worked to hang the dang dawgs up to trim them and clip their toenails and so on...... :)

CreativeCanvas

I'd have to say it was the bum that wanted me to sew new velcro onto his worn out sandals. Went ahead'n did it, what the heck ...?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

December 06, 2011, 06:16:09 am #20 Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:16:53 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Guy walks in with machine, and says, 'Fix it, make it work, but it doesn't need much, don't put too much work into it, it was already working before I brought it in'.

This is like saying, 'I'm badly injured, but just patch me up, don't really go in there and fix the problem'.

Now, this 'previously' working machine came in with parts missing/stripped off, so what this guy is telling me is the equivlent of showing up at a car service center saying 'Yeah man, drove this baby in, just quit on me' yet the car is missing the transmission and has no wheels or tires on it!

Oh, and at the end of it all, he asked 'I want to sell this on Ebay, what do you think it's worth?'

I forget what I told the guy or where we went with this, but I remember feeling that this is not what I'm here for.