Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

August 21, 2024, 10:46:23 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cover Material Help

Started by Mojo, November 23, 2011, 07:49:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I have an awning to do for an RV customer and this awning is huge. It is a patio awning so has an 8 ft reach and is 20 ft long. They do not want Recacril or another similar product but would rather have something that is similar to a vinyl which cleans up easily. It also has to be able to withstand the elements here in FL. I thought Top Gun would work out well but after speaking to June about it she mentioned it would have to be supported every 4 or 5 ft.

I nixed the idea of Tuff Stuff right away as it is so heavy.

I went through my Miami book but am still at a loss. Can any of you suggest a fabric I can use ? They are ( Thank God ) wanting a solid color ( Taupe ).

Any Ideas ? I have little experience working with other cover material. Everything I use for awnings is acrylic such as Recacril.

Thanks gang. :)

Chris

SHHR

http://www.miamicorp.com/products/MARINE%20@@2f%20OUTDOOR%20FABRICS/MARINE%20TOP%20FABRICS/ODYSSEY%20III.aspx

This is basically a lighter version of Top Gun.

I used to use it a lot on big pontoon covers for elderly people who don't want to wrestle with the heavier weight material.

Everyone I've done seems to have held up well with the exception of one that a wind storm got a hold of.

Kyle

scarab29

Also take a look at mar chems new mustang. Coated like top gun but much lighter. Believe lighter than odyssey 3. Used some this summer and it's strong as h***. Won't tear either.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

BigJohn

Chris:
     Would one of these fabrics from your favorite supplier (Rockford) work:

General Laminates - 13 oz

RSI 13 oz Vinyl Laminate Fabric

Weatherspan

I'm sure Miami would have similar product, it's often used on Shorestation covers and has fibers imbedded in it as a reinforcement and a wipe clean surface that hold up to sun

BigJohn.

bobbin

Would they consider something like Sun Shur?  It's a mesh that will cut about 90% of the sun, it's tough as nails and comes in a decent variety of basic colors.  It works up nicely, and I don't think it's markedly heavier than any of the acrylics.  I'm made it into covers for roll out awnings, and the customers loved it. 

It won't protect fully from , rain, but it's OK in drizzle, and most people don't hang out under their awnings when it's really raining anyway. 

Mojo

I went through all my sample books and found the Odyssey III. I believe that will be a much wiser choice since it is 6.5 oz fabric. The RSI is 18 oz so that wont work.

Miami carries the Odyssey and I am hoping they have it in stock in Jacksonville. I thought it was flimsy and light but I tried ripping it and it seemed real tough.

Any other suggestions please post them. Thanks for the tips gang.

Chris 

Mike8560

I don't use much vinyl materials.  But on my last boat I used weblon by herculite. Nutas just said it may to heavy also. So I'd go with stamoid or stamoid lite.   Inyl easily. Lean great in the elements. I'm not sure if mii has stamoid. Weblon yes I'll see

Mike8560

Just looked online at Miami I saw no colors of odesy3 out of stock
http://www.miamicorp.com/products/MARINE%20@@2f%20OUTDOOR%20FABRICS/MARINE%20TOP%20FABRICS/ODYSSEY%20III.aspx?catlist=173&CatUid=59648&SearchSource=Pagination&SearchType=AND&forcePrice=False&forceAvailability=False&OrderByColumn=&OrderByDirection=&SearchKey=SK105508AM&CurrentPage=2

FYI when I had my winni I had a  roll out awnin  it projected about 7' off the motorhome. With the 2 end arms.  It was a heavy striped vinyl SIMM to wblos with a glass Matt Insise vinyl coatedoff of it I made a screenroom enclosure with screen and canvas lowered the all hung on the arms there was no support to the top on the 7' span.

Miami Mike

Chris, I got your message. We will talk on Monday. I think you need to use the WeatherMax 80. It's an 8 oz 5 year warranty fabric. It has a higher water Colum than Acrylic. The Top Gun is 11oz. I will put an order in now for you on a short piece of Max 80 and the Ody III. But I feel the Max 80 will do everything you need and more. 

HAPPY THANKNS GIVING TO ALL!!!!!!
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

Mojo

Mike. Your the expert so I will go with whatever you say.

Thanks for all your help. Talk with you on Monday.

Chris

Mike8560

Vot to say mikes alright !
I presented him with a fabric problem also and he e mail me earlier with a possible fix !
On a holiday noless

Mojo

I agree Mike. He has saved my butt countless times. I have never met anyone who knows fabrics like he does.

That is why I deal with him and dropped my other suppliers. When you have the best you forget the rest. LOL....:)

Sounds like a good tag line for an advertisement. lol

Chris