Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:18:47 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

That Time of Year

Started by Mojo, November 22, 2011, 06:15:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

It is that time of year again - a time to reflect and be thankful for all we have. I know I am thankful I am still alive
as well as being thankful for having a loving wife, a great family, a roof over my head and food on the table. I am also thankful to the many great friends I have who support me throughout the year while I battle this disease.

I think we get so busy with life that we forget just how well we have it.

It goes without saying I am thankful for this forum and all of you as well. May God bless all of you and your families with a great Holiday season.

Chris

kodydog

Happy Thanksgiving Chris.
Last year we had a room full of Friends and family over for Thanksgiving. We were all sitting around the table full of steaming food wafting through our nostrils waiting to eat. Instead of the traditional prayer I voiced a list of things I was grateful for.

I'm grateful for the farmer who grew the food
I'm grateful for the truck driver who brought it to market
I'm grateful for the grocer who sold us the food
I'm grateful for everyone who helped prepare this delicious food
But most of all I'm grateful for all my friends who came today to help us enjoy this wonderful feast.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

I have reached the conclusion that it's easy to get caught up thinking about all the things that aren't perfect in your life, esp. when you're in a situation that is less than ideal.  I think the most important thing for me is to make sure I take the time to enjoy little things every day... the things that are most "right" in my small corner of the world.  The things that are "free" but take time, patience, and perserverence to maintain. 

I am grateful for that fool dog who always greets me in the pre-dawn hours with a wagging tail and a head pressed gently against my leg.  Going outdoors with him always grounds me, it's a simple thing but being outdoors when all is quiet and (often dark).  No matter how crummy the work day is he still loves me and is stoked to have me come home.  Tossing a ball for him and walking around the yard and through the woods puts even the crummiest day in proper perspective. 

Same thing with the pride of kitties (who go walking with that fool dog and me).  And same thing with the husband who never fails to give me a hug and remind me that he likes being with me because I am willing to work hard for things and don't whine (too much) when the going gets tough..  With all that bounty it's darn near impossible to fail in life.  And it makes being thankful pretty easy.

sofadoc

I've said this before. I feel like we stitchers are a more grounded bunch. We tend to live more within our means, and appreciate life's simple pleasures.

I posted last year about a friend from high school who became tremondously successful. Over the years, he had never missed a chance to "rub it in" when we talked. But the economy hit his business hard in recent years, so he killed himself.

I'm thankful for each morning that I open the paper to the obituaries, and don't see my name :D
If I had it all to do over again I wouldn't change a thing (well...maybe better looking).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

sofadoc

Oh yeah, I'm also thankful for all the idiots that will be camped out on Wal-Mart's parking lot on "Black Friday" morning to get the "Doorbuster" specials.
The roads will be clear by the time I get up.
Mainly, I'm thankful that I don't need any of that crap that badly.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JuneC

I hear you guys.  Thankful that I'm still breathing, live where I want to (well, almost - at least it doesn't freeze here), do what I want, and have matured to the point that all that "stuff" doesn't define who I am.  I'm thankful that I now understand what's important in life.   Happy turkey day, y'all!!!  :-*

June

PS... any of you guys with extra special recipes for traditional dishes, DO share.  I'd love to hear them.  :P
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

I'm also
thankfull that I'm still here  a year after my stroke.
And that things have been in my favor latly.
And I can slow down workwise and enjoy a cup of coffe every morning on the patio without all stress of my younger days.  As far a dinner I'll probly end up going out and have some pie at home later.
I do miss my mothers dishes though.  I remeber shed be up at 2 am getting  started then sleep all
afternoon.   

wind_rose_2

Like Mike, my Parents are no longer with us and my Mother in Law is 91 and going strong Thank You God!
Also being Canadian we had our "Family Thanksgiving" with cousins back in October.
Being a snowbird in Florida finds us amongst our American Friends and we will be assisting the local VFW putting on their feast for those that have helped us have this freedom we all seem to forget has come at a price.
Bless all of us and may we all be humble enough to bend a little bit further to help those that are without, not just at this time of year, but everyday!
Dave

bobbin

Brrr! wind out of the northeast and the seas are rough.  Just rain here, but the woodstove feels mighty nice tonight (there is over a foot of snow in the town where I grew up).  The turkey is in the 'frig., the pumpkin pie is in the oven, and bread is about to be turned into stuffing.  We will harvest the brussel sprouts tomorrow morning.

(none of the recipes are very exciting, June.  But we pride ourselves on growing the vegetables that are put on the table)

ragtacker

We "get" to take the turkey to the family feast tomorrow, so we put it on the barbecue today.  Wonderful smoked flavor!  Grateful that I am still able to do that!  Wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!

JuneC

Hot here today.  Officially it was 84 or so, but it was really 88.  Tomorrow should be a bit cooler.  I'd love to turn the AC off but can't do that just yet.  I'm looking forward to less humidity so I can get busy on my Christmas chocolates.  Can't do any confections with this weather. 

Bobbin, sounds like a good time.  Ever deep fry your brussel sprouts?  Actually that's the only way I like them.  Trim them up, slice in half, dip in egg batter, seasoned bread crumbs and fry - exact same way you'd fry chicken.  YUM!  Nothing like making a healthy veggie so bad for you  :P   For us it'll be the traditional green bean casserole as far as veggies go. 

Smoked turkey eh, Ragtacker?  Sounds really good.  Never had one done like that.  Fried, yes.  But I prefer the traditional oven-roasted. 

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields