Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 08, 2024, 06:23:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Customers - What is it exactly they want???? aka: how do you make foam conform

Started by JuneC, November 08, 2011, 08:13:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Did a new leaning post cushion for a customer.  2" thick, curved around leading edge, standard stuff.  Soft cushion - no board backing.  Keder welt across back, velcro flap on bottom edge (this is how the original was designed).  Customer calls - says it's "too big".  In what dimension?  Too long, too wide? Oh, so should I take up the velcro flap and pull it tighter?  He doesn't know.  I explain that the new foam is a flat sheet and it wants to straighten out.   He thinks the old foam was a different thickness - I explained that the old was 2" thick and the new is 2" thick.  It hasn't conformed to the curve yet.  He just wants me to come look at it.  I ask - is the foam too soft?  too hard?  He hasn't used it yet. BTW, I replaced the foam free of charge because the old foam was all shrunken in the corners and wouldn't fill out the new skin - I probably should have kept my mouth shut and just padded out the corners with dacron. 

So, how do you please a customer who can't put a finger on exactly what they want?  And, how do you make foam bend without time and use?  The leaning post is a pretty sharp 90 degree turn and the foam doesn't hug it in the center.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

Lots of times with leaning post covers I will take a notch out of the back side of the foam and then glue the notch closed.  Or, I'll glue two pcs. of foam together to for a 90 degree turn.  But it sounds like you have the bases covered with the Keder in the track and the flap to pull it snug at the bottom.  Time and sun will be your best friends...

As for the picky ones who don't really know what they want... everyone is different.  Sometimes you simply have to tell them that they've received the best you're able to offer and that they should give Old Sol some time to work on the cover.  We had one of those in the shop this morning... a real cheapie who whined too much.  I wouldn't have given him a price break but that's what he got.  In fact, I'd make sure he pays more next time because he was such a peckerhead.  ;)

kodydog

Those phone calls are disheartening. Especially when you work your tail off, throw in a freebee and barely break even. Unfortunately the only way you will ever know if you can fix it is to go look at it and talk it over with the customer. Some times it just needs a little tweaking or maybe the customer has it installed wrong. Only other thing I can think of is a strap with a snap or some kind of pull to get it back in that corner. Buttons are probably out of the question.

Bobbins Idea is good or could you cut the foam and sew a seam where the 90* angle is, then stuff the foam back in. I know all labor intensive. And I know you want to get off as cheep as possible.

People never notice these things until you return the item. And its hard to remember to point out all the design flaws when you pick it up. And if he brought it to your shop you may not have seen them anyway.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

The 90* posts like mine
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/seacraft/7f65e907.jpg
are always hard backed much easiers the post that are curved the whole way are loose soft backed  as yours.  I hate doing them and trying not to have wrinkles on the curved side boxing.