Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:36:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

?? For the marine or canvas people.

Started by MinUph, November 07, 2011, 05:42:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

I have a Bimini top on our pontoon. I replaced the tie down straps a couple of months ago and already one of the metal clips has broken. Walmart C^&p. The straps are also getting stiff and the adjusters suck. What can I make these out of that will be better?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Grebo

Whats the straps made of ?   Polypropylene is a no no, turns to dust in no time.

Suzi

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

Polyester is the best, but is harder to find than polypropylene.  Polypropylene is super slippery and disintegrates in months.  Comes in lots of bright colors which seems to be what attracts people.  Bonded nylon will last longer.  Polyester can be found at TriVantage and comes in black and white (last time I looked). 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

Yes I seem to remember that Nylon does go hard, change to polyester.
I have some in blue June which costs more than the white  ??? & fades real quick. So I only use it for bags & any repairs that really need blue.

Suzi

Mike8560

November 08, 2011, 04:54:12 pm #5 Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:10:31 pm by Mike8560
Nylon will shrink also I'd use a stainless hook  is it the hook or the eye pad  The loop the hook hooks on to that  has broken. Even better what I would do is covet thebstrsps snd make support legs with thebmatching frame material.  Is it the 1" square tubing Paul  that will last best and give the best support.

MinUph

Mike yes it is the 1" square tubing. I've thought about a solid support like you mentioned but am concerned with adjustments if the canvas stretches and shrinks.
As a matter of fact I can't seem to even get the top real tight as it is. I'm use to tops where there are straps between the cross members that can be adjusted to tighten the top but mine has none and has no cutouts for them in the sleeves where the movable tubing run through.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

DBR1957

Paul - The solid supports are adjustable. The piece that goes on the frame (typically
called a jaw slide) has a set screw on it that you can loosen to reposition it. Generally
if you slide it up the leg of the frame it will tighten the top. If you slide it down the
leg it will loosen the top.

The main reason you can't get the top tight is because it's a pontoon boat top and
they're only made with a minimum level of quality. My guess is it will get tight at
the corners but sags from bow to bow. You might be able to add straps between
the bows to lift the center ones a little. Or the frame may be out of wack. Typically
the tops of all the frame pieces should line up when it is folded. Sometimes the
center bows are higher, sometimes lower, but almost always even with each other.

As described above, check the jaw slides. These connect the center bows to the
outer bows. If they have slid down there will typically be a wear mark on the outer
bow where the correct position was. Maybe it was never set up right. It's not the
first time something wasn't attached correctly at the factory.

If the top was ever taken off the frame it may have been put back on in reverse.
Not the first time that ever happened. I even saw someone put a top on inside out
once.

Shoot me a pic and I will see if I notice anything.

Keep in mind, I've never seen a factory top for a pontoon boat that really fit that well.

MinUph

DBR,
  This Bimini is part of a full camper top. I have adjusted the frame and it is tight but sags where the movable bows are. I will take some pictures of it this week end and maybe you or others can offer some tips. I will look into finding some square tubing to make solid supports. I kinda like the idea as there is no strapping to be eaten by the Florida sun.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

Erhapmpaul the 2 smaller secondary bows are improperly adjusted. Are they s rewed in position permatly  or is there set screws? It they are able to readjust that may have slid down the bows a bit this would make the tipmsag a but at them.  If you push them up higher the top will push up the  and remove the sag. 

Some of the fancy solid support legs are adjustable  with a inner tube and a push button to shorten or lenghthen them

MinUph

Hey Mike.
  The secondary bows are not adjustable. If I push them up the top does tighten but there is no way to hold them in that position. They are sewn into pockets with no adjustability that would tighten it up. I may just take the top off and add cutout and sew some openings in the pockets for straps to adjust them.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

I have, on occasion, moved pockets for a customer.  If there's a position within the existing pocket that works, you can sometimes just sew a seam a few inches forward of where it was sewn originally without removing the pocket and it'll work.  I don't like to do it because of looks, but if the budget is way tight, it's better than throwing the whole thing out and starting over.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Sorry about my phone typing Paul. What I meat was if you move the position of the jaw slide on the secondary bows. This  will somtimes acheave what you want and raise the bow taking the sag out of the. Top. Just loosed. The set nuts and slide booth side up equally 

But I like
June idea also if moving the bow dosent work.

PDQ

Soft weave Polyester webbing with sliding bar buckles works OK.

Put more bow into the bow to raise it up a little. Grab the middle with both hands and give it a good ole heave.

MinUph

Quote from: Mike8560 on November 10, 2011, 04:12:39 pm
Sorry about my phone typing Paul.

No problem Mike, I've gotten use to it. Sometimes I can figure it out and sometimes well its pretty much gibberish  :)
  I do get the drift of the postings though and appreciate it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website