Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 09:37:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

And they are off.......

Started by Grebo, November 07, 2011, 05:16:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

November 07, 2011, 05:16:22 am Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:04:27 am by Grebo
We went down to see the boys off on saturday.
Volvo Ocean Race 2011.

I was going to try posting a video but the pro's do a much better job. And had the helicopters  :P

We are rooting for Camper  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDwpTQ8VCiU

Suzi

kodydog

That's exciting Suzi. Its amazing some of those little boats don't get hit. Especially around the buoys. I guess the first part of the race shows the agility of  the boat before they head out to open sea.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Grebo

Yes it was good entertainment, I forgot to mention that you should look at the colour of the sky. There was a stiff breeze blowing offshore which gave then a pretty flat sea.
I was recording when Sanya & Abu Dabi had the bump near the start line, I didn't realise that they had actually made contact until later.
Have you heard the latest ? Abu Dhabi got dis masted & Sanya have headed for port as they have holed the bow section....
Abu Dhabi is now back in Alicante getting the new mast fitted.

Suzi

bobbin

It's quite a haul to Cape Town.  I think you have to have a screw loose to sign on for that sort of sailing, but it sure is fun to watch.  How was the other boat dismasted? 

Mike8560

Ia thet were the race ends Cape Town ?

Grebo

Tell you what bobbin, I like a bit of a thrash around the cans. But these boats are so bare & 'shiny' I wouldn't feel safe going out to sea let along round the world  :o  So exposed out side & all hard & cold inside. No where to snuggle up with a nice hot cuppa.

Only Abu Dhabi dismasted, Sanya must have hit something. She's now out of leg 1 needs major surgery.

No Mike, just Leg one. It's round the world......

Suzi

bobbin

It's a special sort of sailor that's willing to undertake that sort of voyage.  I can't remember her name, Ellen? but she single handed a world race and I recall footage of her climbing the mast in heavy seas to effect some sort of repair.  I was sweating just watching her, for Pete's sake. 

Very exciting.  Keep us updated for time to time, OK?

Grebo

Will do bobbin, but now they are out of here the best updates are on U tube.
The VOR site it's self is, hmm not terribly good  ;)

Adu Dhabi are working hard on getting the mast replaced, the new one arrived even before the boat got back, they man handled the broken one off. I believe they are going to try getting away on Thursday.

Suzi

Grebo

Just to let you know, Adu Dhabi got away from Alicante last night.
Looking at the rest of the fleet they have a far chance to catch up !

Suzi

Grebo

Well, I got that wrong then... Abu Dhabi have just retired from leg one.  :-X

Suzi

bobbin

I bet the crew and sponsors are really disappointed.  It's not just the money, the crew are sailors and they love doing it and missing the opportunity must be a drag.[code][/code]

Mike8560

did theybhit another  boat?
Wel next time. How often is this race. I'm not a sailor so I don't keep up

Grebo

November 14, 2011, 01:00:39 am #12 Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:01:53 am by Grebo
Quote from: bobbin on November 11, 2011, 06:53:20 am
I bet the crew and sponsors are really disappointed.  It's not just the money, the crew are sailors and they love doing it and missing the opportunity must be a drag.[code][/code]

I believe the thinking behind the retirement was that by the time they got into Cape Town that they wouldn't have time to get ready for leg 2. So shipping the boat down.

Well I guess it's only leg one of 9 so there is some sense in it  ::)

Hopefully Leg 2 will start with all 6 boats again.

Mike I think it's every 3 years. I believe next time it's starting here again....

Suzi