Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:53:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cutting

Started by MinUph, November 06, 2011, 12:55:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you cut a job?

I cut by measurements.
2 (28.6%)
I cut by laying the old pattern on the new fabric.
5 (71.4%)
I guess how big something is and cut away.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

MinUph

I am curious on how people cut. I learned to measure a piece and cut the complete job, going back to finish patterning after everything was rough cut.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

November 06, 2011, 01:14:05 pm #1 Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 01:16:13 pm by sofadoc
I don't know how to vote on that one. On basic panels, I either cut away, or measure. On panels where the exact measurements and pattern matching are critical, I might use the old pattern.
I also use the "rough cut" method a lot too.
Did I answer that like a true politician? ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Staplpulr

I prefer to only cut a pattern once . It seams like a waste of time to cut a part ,like  an I/A twice.

Mojo

Measure and cut. :)

Chris

kodydog

I do it like you do Paul
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

FIF I'm doing like an old boat seat I'll copy the old if I'm make a new  sime
cushion I copy the foam. If it's canvas  I make a new pattern

bobbin

Depends on the job.  If it's a series of cushions then it's measure and cut.  If it's something with a lot of shape, I'll pattern and work from that.  With slipcovers I take measurements of the pieces required, and cut the pieces and fit those, trimming away what fabric is excess. 

But I always take measurements and calculate yardage requirements based on them.  It's a little time consuming right now, as I'm tentative about "eyeballing" something and spitting out a yardage estimate, but it works and I know I'll have enough cloth to get the job done satisfactorily.