Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:10:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sunguard fraying

Started by MinUph, November 01, 2011, 03:57:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

I looked through the threads here (postings :)) about sunguard thread and it doesnt fit my issue. At work we run a 206RB1 and Sunguard is fraying as soon as I start sewing. I tried all different ways to thread the machine to no avail. I brought in another spool in also and got the same results. The machine is missing the thread guide right on the needle bar could this be the issue? The machine sews fine with mono, and nylon threads.
  Thanks.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

I wouldn't normally think so, but get this, Paul.  I work on a Juki 1508 at work and it, too, is missing the thread guide on the needle bar.  It will periodically go through a phase where it frays the thread, too!  Last week I had an awful time with it trying to replace a panel in a screen, couldn't get it to stitch more than a few feet before the thread frayed and eventually broke.  This has happened with other applications, too; namely joining panels of 30 guage plastic.  All those guides are there for a reason, to control the movement of the thread and keep it from forming too much of loop as it is carried down to the hook. 

I hope either Gregg or Bob chime in on this issue.  I'll be honest, it really drives me nuts to fart around with a machine that's been in need of mechanical attention for about a year now... and there are 3 others in similar condition to irritate me.  It's just easier to fix them and a lot less frustrating for the grunts in the shop!

Gabe63

I bought some v92 thread said to be Dabond from ebay recently and it frays the moment you try to use it. I think you got some bad thread. I ended up just buying from my local shop and everything is as it should be. My shop sells Coats brand but I have used v92 marked Sunguard without issues.

Toledo Mach. Sales

Since it sews good w/nylon it could be the thread.You might want to get a needle bar thread guide though.
Other things to look for:chewed up feed dog hole,groove on bottom of inside foot,burr on hook & hook & needle timing.
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

Mojo

November 02, 2011, 04:51:05 am #4 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 07:03:16 am by Mojo
Paul:

I have a spool of Sunguard 138 ( white or black ) you can borrow if you want. I have sewn off it and it is fine. At least you know it is a good spool.

Let me know if you want to swing by and grab it. You can also pick up the magnetic guide I bought to try out as well.

Chris

Mike8560

HVe no trouble with sunguardid look for a bur and get the guide

Bob T

The best thing to use to look for a burr on the hook is a jewelers loop.  I have one I spent about $15 on and it works great.  Burrs are more common than you might think.  Use 1500 to 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to remove the burr, then use metal polish to polish it.  You should easily be able to make it shine like polished silver.  You'll be surprised how much better it will work.

MinUph

November 02, 2011, 03:41:08 pm #7 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:41:45 pm by MinUph
I'll check the machine for burrs. We took the job next door today so its done. We don't do allot of marine work so Poly thread is not used much.
 I did try my spool of Sunguard and it was the same. My spool works fine on my machine.
 MOJO thanks for the offer. I would like to try the guide though. Maybe I can stop over on Saturday of its workable for you.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Paul:

We are going away for the weekend in the bus. How about next weekend ?

Chris

MinUph

Quote from: Mojo on November 03, 2011, 10:16:22 am
Paul:

We are going away for the weekend in the bus. How about next weekend ?

Chris

Works for me.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website