Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:28:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Decking question-cut too deep in the corners

Started by Ageorge, October 26, 2011, 02:44:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ageorge

I'm very new to upholstery (just purchased business in July). While we get training from prev. owner, we have to do a lot on our own. Anyways, I was making a new decking and accidentally made the cuts in the back corners to deep (this is the hardest part to me so far!). It is a seventies style couch and the front is sewn to the decking and already tacked down (it is stapled into a continous groove on the front/sides). Any way to repair this? It's right in the back corner.

sofadoc

Can you stuff out the inside arm, and inside back with cotton enough to hide the cut?
If not, you might be able to sew welt to a new piece of decking, and hand sew it to the front deck fabric.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Ageorge

I will try stuffing some cotton and see if that works!! It's a pretty deep cut, but it's worth a shot. I am so terrible and getting those cuts right-for some reason I have a hard time wrapping my head around how to do it correctly. Thanks for the suggestion.

gene

October 26, 2011, 04:34:42 pm #3 Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:39:23 pm by gene
Those cuts, and especially those kind of cuts on open arm chairs, are very difficult to do. You can always take some scrap fabric and practice on open arm chairs. That will help you with sofas. That's what I did.

Some people use chalk to mark the point where the cut will end. I just use my finger to mark the spot.

Regarding the sofa, if you used decking material, use decking material, and if you used face fabric use that.

Cut a round or circular patch and use adhesive glue to patch over the cut. If this is face fabric that has a pattern, take the time to match the patch. I round the corners of the patch to make sure it adheres well and the corners don't come undone in the future.

I usually use fabric adhesive, but I have used hot melt glue on decking material before.

I recently read, "Measure once and then cut twice for good measure." I have no idea what this means.

Good luck with your new business.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Gene,
  That's measure twice then cut once.  ;) So you make sure you have the correct measurement before you cut.

A,
  When you make these cuts at first lay the fabric where you want it getting it flat and when it will end up folded back at a 45 degree fold. If you cut at the 45 you will have enough fabric on both sides of the cut. Don't cut all the way stop before the point and try it. You can always cut it more but as you know you cant undo a bad cut.
  We all do it from time to time. If it is customer make it right. Sofadoc has the best suggestion. It isn't all that much time and it will be right when done.
  You will get the hang of it. Mistakes are how we learn.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Ageorge

Thanks so much for all the help! I may have end up doing as sofadoc suggested with the welt-it is for a customer and I want it to look right! It's a couch with very clean lines, so stuffing the inside arm/inside back may not work but I will try that first. Thanks also for the tips on what to do going forward :)

kodydog

Ageorge, All the above are great ideas but sometimes you can spend hours trying to fix a mistake that in the end you just need to start over and try again. That's why we try to get a yard or two extra for each job.

Use MinUph's method and you should get very close. Small cuts try it, another small cut and try it. keep doing this till you get it right. And try not to sweat the small stuff.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Ageorge

Whew!! Just redid with the welt (sewing to the new deck). Could not restuff and the patch didn't look quite right. Possibly would've saved time by just redoing..but could've ruined the wood trying to get all the fabric and some staples out of that groove in the front.  Thanks again for all the help!

ragtacker

gene

October 27, 2011, 06:09:58 pm #9 Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:10:40 pm by gene
Glue guns don't glue. People glue!

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

I wonder if I could rob a bank with a glue gun. Outlaw Kodydog.

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on October 26, 2011, 04:34:42 pm
I recently read, "Measure once and then cut twice for good measure." I have no idea what this means.

Quote from: MinUph on October 26, 2011, 05:15:15 pm
Gene,
  That's measure twice then cut once. 

For me, it's more like "I've cut it off twice, and it's STILL too short!" :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

When I was training, the boss always said to cut 1/2" short of where you think you should cut and then "creep up on it" as suggested earlier.

BTW I use chalk if it's an awkward spot or my finger if I can just pull the fabric back out and cut it.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Quote from: Ageorge on October 27, 2011, 10:31:56 am
Whew!! Just redid with the welt (sewing to the new deck). Could not restuff and the patch didn't look quite right. Possibly would've saved time by just redoing..but could've ruined the wood trying to get all the fabric and some staples out of that groove in the front.  Thanks again for all the help!

Ageorge learning upholstery can be very aggravating at times. We love to see new faces in the field as fewer people are entering this trade. If there is any thing we can do to help just ask. There are countless years of knowledge on this site. I learn something new every day. And if you need a high interest-short term loan I've heard Sofadoc is the go to man. ;)

BTW where was that fellow you bought the business from when you started cutting that deck?

All joking aside, good luck in all your endeavors.

skegfish