Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 15, 2024, 12:55:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How to build a heavy "piece" turntable/lazy susan/rotisserie

Started by JuneC, October 07, 2011, 09:12:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

I'm just tired of having to man-handle heavy upholstery pieces (some boat pieces can weigh upwards of 80 pounds) for stripping, patterning and stapling on new covers.  A simple turntable would help - maybe a plywood platform with 4 swivel casters.  To go one better, something that could be elevated on hydraulic lifts (like under a lot of office chairs) would make it even more useful.  Or something that can grip the piece on a "rotisserie" would be even better.   Anyone ever made one? 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Jim101

Last Spring I made a table that is 6' X 8' and put wheels on the legs.  It works great and I can roll it around to join up with the other table.

Its real handy If I'm working on a piece that's really long like a sail or an extra long cover or tarp. 

The bottom half of the table holds rolls of material and other stuff / junk.

The kids joke about using it as a giant skate board!  :o  I fear one day they will.

Jim

scarab29

worked in a jet ski shop in a previous life and used a old gurney for working on the stand ups in the shop. That might do the trick ! 8)
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

byhammerandhand

I have a large turntable in my finish room.   I've used it on a lot of heavy chairs, table tops, dressers, etc.

I took a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" CDX plywood and cut it in half (you could also cut 2 48" circles if you didn't want the corners).

In the center of each, I screwed on a plumbing floor flange, black iron pipe.   On the top it's 1" and on the bottom it's 1 1/4"   

Get a 2' threaded pipe 1" diameter section for the top.

For the bottom 1 1/4" pipe, you can have variable lengths, 2', 3', 4' -- whatever working height you want.   Or get them all and switch them around.  I think I bought a 6' one and had the store cut it 60-40 or something like that.

The top pipe will fit snugly in the bottom pipe and it will swivel right around.

When you don't need it, take it apart by simply lifting off the top, unscrew the pipes and lean it up against the wall or in a storage area.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

JuneC

Scarab, I like the gurney idea for a portable table.  Especially the ones with the scissor lift so the height can be adjusted (I'm vertically challenged)  8)  Wonder if I could find a cheap on on Craigslist...  :-X

Keith, that sounds like a real winner.  I'd have never thought about telescoping pipes with different length sections.  I especially like the idea of being able to disassemble it easily for storage.  It's not something I'd use every day, but when you need it, you NEED IT. 

All great ideas!

June

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

You must have a table now that you work kn I to everything on my sewing table it have laminAte ( Formica)  on top
of it so I'm thinking rather then try to spin a
heady seat draging it around on the table  scaling it you could  take a piece of finnished plywood.  I'd go 3/4" a d Finnish it flwoth Formica also maybe bolth sides then install a peg in the center of your new board drill a hole just the size of the peg  to sipin it on the two Formica surfases being smooth I would think would slide well  a d tou could spin it easy to work on and not damaged the piece. Sliding.   Sime
easy

Mojo

June:

Harbor Freight sells furniture moving platforms. They have carpeted rails, are square and have four casters and you can get them on sale for $ 20. They make a small one and a large one. I have both and use those stupid things all the time. They work great.

Chris

Mike8560

When I used to build office furniture we had then mojo.
3'x3 or so carpeted with casters. For some of the big pontoon lounge pieces they would work great.
Me I did some big co ers for a marina once they were a  cotton like mesh thar hang to cover the open ends of a rack storage facility  they were about 50' tall by maybe 30' wide.
A y way I had leftover that I e been using to place items on  my laminate table to slide on Unser my windowsso so they don't scratch

Darren Henry

I've considered the same think over the years (I'm only a nub bigger than June) but have always talked myself out of it turning like a record player as I'd be chasing it all over the shop. I've got a small work table that's 3X4 with a small drop leaf on the one corner,no wheels for the above reason. If I'm sewing large pieces like RV awnings etc.. it sides on my left butted up to the end of the machine table with the drop leaf filling in from the front of the table back under my elbow. Otherwise I use it to work on. At that size there isn't alot of walking around it to reach all sides (doesn't even both me in this danged walking boot and cane). I start out with the piece on it's back and strip the dust cover and outside trim;then I slide the piece across the table as I stand it up to remove the inside arms/back and re-upholster. I slide it over to where the side I'm working on hangs over the edge to trim and then flip it onto it's back to put the dust cover and legs on.

Obviously I'm pretty carefull about staples,etc... on the table 's surface before I move things, and having the air hose drop down from the ceiling makes walking around the table easier.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

BigJohn

June:
     I'd look into a hydraulic hoist that is designed for a small engine or motorcycle shop, they go down near the floor and raise up a couple feet. A place to start looking would again be Harbor freight also referred to by my wife as "The mens mall"

BigJohn

June:
     I just got a coupon in the mail from Harbor Freight offering the $129.95 lift that I talked about in my earlier post for just $59.95, what a deal!

JuneC

WoooHoo!  Thanks, BigJohn.  I'll have to have a look there.  There's a Harbor Freight store about 1/2 hour from my house. 

June

W. C. Fields

Mojo

June, I never thought about the motorcycle lift that John mentioned. Sorry about that. What a great idea. The motorcycle lift is moved around easily as it is has steel casters. If you have the extra cash I would highly suggest getting the aluminum framed model. I had the steel model and it took 3 men and a boy to pick it up and move it. Check the weights of both models because there is a HUGE difference.

What a great idea but then that's why we call him Big John...........he is filled with Big Ideas.... You dah man John. :)

Chris