Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:44:15 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

hot wire foam cutters

Started by Vtool, October 01, 2011, 09:08:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vtool

I just noticed the cutters listed above. don,t need the band saw . thanks for the video of operation of cutter. better price than bosch. if anything I learned from this post. I appreciate people warning of toxic fumes. Glue fumes are the worst of my job. no need for added lung irriatation. thanks
                                                                      David

Rich

Gene, I made a plywood platform topped with formica to extend the table on all sides. It's approx 30"x40". Also, I added an extension kit to the arm which increased the throat capacity to 12". It now uses 105" blades.

Kodydog, I like that idea!

JuneC, I think you'd be surprised how much you actually can do with a band saw. The foam in your pix could be.

I still use the Bosch saw when necessary, but for smooth, right on the line cuts, especially on thick foam and when I want a perfect 90 degree cut (or any other angle), I use the band saw
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

BigJohn

June:
     Your not just an upholsterer but an artist as well! That was some pretty fancy carving!

Big John

fragged8

June, i really need to see that job progressing :-) looks like a nightmare
of curves to cover

Rich

gene

Thank you Rich, and k dog, and others for your replys.

I was not aware of extensions for band saws. The throat depth was one area that I was concerned with.

Working with interior designers my competition is usually new furniture. Does the homeowner want to reupholster or buy new?

With my labor, the fabric, the designers' mark up, the foam, the pick up and delivery, the more scraps of foam I can use the better. And with the adhesives today the pieces of foam will not be falling apart.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

I do the same thing Gene. If I have a 26" wide piece of foam and need 28" I'll add 2" to it. I think its just as strong as unpieced foam and I've never had a problem with it coming apart. I've never had any complaints but I always wondered what the customer would think if they ever saw that it was pieced. Of course on a tight seat or back they would never see it. 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

fragged8

it's all come full circle again

I remember taking covers off of old seat cushions
and the foam was made up of pieces glued together.

Now we are going back to it.  :-)

JuneC

Yep, the curves are giving me fits in design, but I think I have a plan.

And...  y'all keep talking about foam going up.  My supplier hasn't increased the price of foam since 2009 and with the current BIG drop in oil prices, I expect it'll not go up anytime real soon.  And no, the quality has not dropped.  In fact, I think it's better than ever.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

forsailbyowner

Check these guys out for foam. They advertise they will beat anyones price for same by 8-10 %.
not affiliated

http://www.foambymail.com/SFNT.html

gene

October 09, 2011, 02:08:13 pm #24 Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:09:24 pm by gene
Mr. Forsailbyowner,

Your info says you are in Tampa, FL. If you make sails for boats, you've got a great handle.

Have you used this foam supplier before? If so, how was it?

Has anyone else used Foam Factory?

I'm about 300 miles away from their Michigan location. I have a foam supplier right here in town, about 20 minutes from me. The Michigan link shows prices that are a bit less than what I can get here in town for very close to the same specs. And with their free shipping on orders over $75.00, they look like a pretty good deal when I need a lot of foam and don't need foam right away.

I'm not affiliated with them either, but if they want to cut me a check for touting their name I will gladly tout away. But only after I order from them first and they are what they say they are.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I got a bunch of sample foam pieces from The Foam Factory. The samples and the prices were no incentive for me to buy from them, instead of locally.
I get free foam delivery monthly with no minimum order.
Quote from: JuneC on October 06, 2011, 06:55:46 pm
And...  y'all keep talking about foam going up.  My supplier hasn't increased the price of foam since 2009 and with the current BIG drop in oil prices, I expect it'll not go up anytime real soon.

My supplier recently went down 20 bucks on a 6X24X108 sheet of foam.
But don't expect falling oil prices to have a direct impact on foam prices.
Katrina destroyed one of only 2 refineries that produce the crude oil by-product that goes into foam. Unless they build another refinery, foam prices will be effected by short supplies of that by-product.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JuneC

Quote from: forsailbyowner on October 09, 2011, 09:35:58 am

Check these guys out for foam. They advertise they will beat anyones price for same by 8-10 %.
not affiliated

http://www.foambymail.com/SFNT.html

Well, they gotta go a bit to beat the price I get on Dri-Fast.  Using their estimating on-line tool, a sheet of dri-fast in the size I get it - 52 x 118 x 2 - theirs is $217.32.  I just bought 2 sheets that size for $118 each.  Same price for dri-fast 30, 50 or 70.  I kinda doubt they'd knock off $100 right off the bat.  And mine's not glued - that's a standard size sheet.  I find big sheets yield less waste if you plan your cuts.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields