Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:02:36 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sewing machine without reverse

Started by Gabe63, September 27, 2011, 11:07:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabe63

Hi, first post. I know the answer may be complex but help me out. I always use a machine with reverse to back stitch in order to hold thread tension on my work. I just bought a 2 needle machine that has no reverse (nearly free).

What do people do without reverse, I am being serious here. Do I have to tie the end of each stitch in a knot?

SHHR

If you're doing a top stitch that shows like a french seam I always tie off the ends instead of back stitching, so the bulk of thread at the ends doesn't show. If appearance doesn't matter; when starting the stitch, sew in a few stitches, stop, lift the foot. and pull your material back to the start and take off sewing again with the same concept at the end of the stitch as well. That will lock it in place as long as the tension is set right.

baileyuph

Reverse is essential to you if you make it that way.  I have more than two or three machines with reverse and hardly ever use the option.  I learned without reverse, just bump the knee lift, like already said, and pull the material one or two stitches toward you, lower the knee lift and sew a couple stitches and the thread is tied.  That technique doesn't needle the mateial full of holes and gets the job done.  Important when working with vinyl and maybe leather.

If you are darning, repairs that is, reverse can come to be beneficial.  So, it depends on how much of what you do and how accustomed you are to sewing without the feature.

One of my favorite machines is our shop is one without reverse.  Without the reverse on it, the lift is higher.  Yes, there can be a compromise in lift for reverse.  I need the lift more, most of the time.  People sewed for years without reverse, so it is up to your needs and skill.

Doyle 

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: DB on September 28, 2011, 05:49:40 am
Without the reverse on it, the lift is higher.

Doyle,

Just to be clear, this is your model machine in this case.  By spec on any machine, reverse has nothing to do with the lift on any machine.  Just to be clear for some folks, mind you.  Maybe I was the one confused by reading this! 

You CAN back tack on a machine without reverse, if your a skilled operator.  I'm not.  You can use the knee or foot presser foot ifter and pull the material back, slightly lifting the foot and draging the mateiral back.  I've seen some great operators over the years, and some old skool operators actually prefer this, as they don't have to reomve one hand from thier work to reverse. 

kodydog

I've sewn on our old singer for 25 years without reverse. Went to work for a fellow for a couple months. He had reverse on his machine and I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Everyone has their own opinion but I wouldn't buy another machine without it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Gabe63

Thanks for the responses, they make sense. I will have to try this out. I have to admit that I really like the reverse feature on my other machines...