Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:50:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

newbie in over his head

Started by lostinspace, September 21, 2011, 10:10:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Neat web site Joy. The guy takes great pride and detail in his work. Can't think of one customer of mine that would pay for the time it would take to restore the Louis XV style settee the way he did. He must have a fantastic reputation.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Joys Shop

He's a great guy, and willing to teach the techniques to anyone who wants to learn them

bobbin

One of the things I so enjoy about the internet is the ability to see and read about such talented craftsmen.  And they're everywhere... in Europe, in the USA, in Australia, and everywhere else, too.  I love looking at the "from the frame up" work required to properly upholster a venerable, old piece of furniture.  It never ceases to amaze me how every little step in the process is done a certain way for certain reason or how shape is quite literally built into a piece from the frame up. 

It's much the same way when construction a fully tailored item; every little dart or addition of padding or interfacing is done for a specific reason.  You use bias tape to provide a break over which a lapel falls neatly, tightening or lessening the tension as the body that will wear the sport coat dictates... .  It's fussy and it can be frustrating but it's very, very cool. 

And it's the same thing in sailmaking, marine canvas, and awnings.  How lucky are we to have such clever people who're willing to pass the knowledge along?  :)