Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 08:29:03 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bobbin sensor

Started by Rich, September 23, 2011, 08:07:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

This was mentioned briefly in a prior post, but I'd like to ask the question by itself here.
Is there something that can be done to a walking foot, vertical axis bobbin machine to alert the operator when the bobbin thread is about to, or has just run out?
Thanks,
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Darren Henry

I've been called crazy for it; but I can hear and see when my 111W155 is getting to the end.Assuming you are making relatively short runs, when you remove the project the bobbin thread will often want to curl up as it is lying on the bed of the machine. The smaller the coils and more it wants to curl--- the closer to the end of the bobbin. That's when I start listening for the tinney little ting ting ting as I'm sewing. I don't always catch it, but it gives me a good idea when to check before my next pass.

The guy I used to work for actually tied his thread onto the bobbin before he wound it. PITA ,but you sure knew when you got to the end.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

RYOUR not crazy Darren I can hear when I've only got a few rotations left it makes a clicking. 

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Rich on September 23, 2011, 08:07:15 am
This was mentioned briefly in a prior post, but I'd like to ask the question by itself here.
Is there something that can be done to a walking foot, vertical axis bobbin machine to alert the operator when the bobbin thread is about to, or has just run out?
Thanks,
Rich

You can get a slide plate with a window so you can see the bobbin.

Peppy

Quote from: Darren Henry on September 23, 2011, 08:45:14 am
I've been called crazy for it; but I can hear and see when my 111W155 is getting to the end.Assuming you are making relatively short runs, when you remove the project the bobbin thread will often want to curl up as it is lying on the bed of the machine. The smaller the coils and more it wants to curl--- the closer to the end of the bobbin. That's when I start listening for the tinney little ting ting ting as I'm sewing. I don't always catch it, but it gives me a good idea when to check before my next pass.

The guy I used to work for actually tied his thread onto the bobbin before he wound it. PITA ,but you sure knew when you got to the end.

Your not crazy. I don't even sew much and I can tell when it's empty. Well, after a foot or so. I'm way better with the staple gun, I can tell when it's getting down to 5 or 10. Rarely does that knowledge stop me from firing blanks though. And always when you need one most. A little red light on the top of the gun would be awesome.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

scottymc

Quote from: Peppy on September 23, 2011, 02:00:10 pm
Quote from: Darren Henry on September 23, 2011, 08:45:14 am

Your not crazy. I don't even sew much and I can tell when it's empty. Well, after a foot or so. I'm way better with the staple gun, I can tell when it's getting down to 5 or 10. Rarely does that knowledge stop me from firing blanks though. And always when you need one most. A little red light on the top of the gun would be awesome.

A green light would be better, so you could have a red light next to it to tell you when the battery for the green light is running out.

sofadoc

I'd just like to have a "bobbin sensor" that will locate it for me when I drop it on the floor, and it rolls up under the machine. :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I have 2 "full function" machines and both have a "bobbin sensor"; but it begins with setting a "counter" when you wind the bobbin, so there is some thinking involved.  It's really convenient to be able to see an accounting of the thread remaining on the bobbin on the screen atop the machine head, and there is a reminder "beep" that can save a couple of feet of needle holes with no thread to fill them.  When you're working on a vinyl/leather it's nice to minimize the unnecessary needle holes.

Rich

QuoteWhen you're working on a vinyl/leather it's nice to minimize the unnecessary needle holes.

That's exactly why I'm asking, just about everything I do is with vinyl, so just punching holes with no thread in them creates a problem.

QuoteI've been called crazy for it; but I can hear and see when my 111W155 is getting to the end

I've noticed that I can sometimes hear a difference, but nothing I can rely on.

QuoteYou can get a slide plate with a window so you can see the bobbin.

I thought of that, but the bobbin thread would be visible only when a bobbin has holes in it. Most of the ones I have are solid, and when the fabric covers the sliding cover (as in topstitching) it wouldn't be seen anyway.

I thought of maybe a coating that could be applied to the first few inches of the bobbin thread that would be conductive and then have some sort of sensor mounted on the feed dog plate just past the needle for it to react to?

Then I thought of some sort of sensor that would detect that the bobbin had stopped even though the handwheel was still rotating. I already have a servo motor with a sensor on the handwheel, so maybe it could work with that?
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

gene

September 23, 2011, 10:08:28 pm #9 Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:14:22 am by gene
Some ideas for ya:

Tie the thread to the bobbin with a quick upholsters' knot. When the bobbin runs out of thread the thread will break and give you a second to stop the machine. Check with Gregg and Bob to see if this is an incredibly clever idea or just some lame brain nonsense that will only cause damage to your bobbins and machine.

Borrow some of your wife's nail polish, or us some of your own, and paint some nail polish about a foot or two from the end of the thread before you begin to wind it on the bobbins. You can experiment on how many inches you need to paint. Maybe start with painting only 4 inches, for example. Nail polish dries really fast - at least it does on my toe nails. Make sure you use a color that is a strong contrast to the color thread. Do not use black nail polish with black thread, for example. Black nail polish would work great with white thread, for example.

I hope this helps.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Rich

I don't use nail polish anymore, upholstery work is too hard on my nails.
But, the painted bobbin thread would only show up under the fabric-where I wouldn't see it. And if I could see it in the stitch holes, then my machine is out of adjustment!
Now, The paint idea might be good for something someone mentioned on here earlier-staples running out. How about this, when opening a new box of staples, shake them out an inch or so and then dip that end of all the sticks into ink or dye (I think paint might be too thick and might cause them to jam in the magazine at some point). The dye should penetrate all the sticks and leave each one with a visible coating that could then be loaded into the gun to shoot last. When you see black (or hot pink if it matches your nails) you stop and reload!
Rich

Joys Shop

I use to do something similar with staples
I would mark about a 1/2" to 1" with a magic marker---some color that was easily visible
but
I found it didn't matter, I would be stapling away, and not notice the color change

Mike8560

F I'm sewing  a vinyl seat sewing a blind Sean is one thing but if it's on top stitching to be seen I always check my b obbin before a long run.  Just as if I'm sewing a big u zipper on a window indont want to run out half way around.  It ain't no fun getting back into that spot

fragged8

I'm pretty sure my Juki can be retro fitted with a bobbin sensor

But to be honest, the need isn't that great. Like most guys here
I can usually hear the change in noise when the bobbin runs out.

I know one canvas guy here in the UK who has fitted a stitch counter
to his machine to gauge when the bobbin will run out. he did it this
way because its easier than fitting a bobbin sensor.

rich

Rich

Thanks for the replies. The counter is an idea I remember hearing about years ago, I'mgoing to start listening for the sound to change, maybe that's the ticket.
Rich