Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 04:19:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New sewing machine

Started by RocketmanMH1, September 21, 2011, 03:15:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RocketmanMH1

OK pros please chime in.......  If you had to buy a new sewing machine today for automotive upholstery, what brand and model no.  and Why????Why???? Why??????????

gene

Search this forum. There are many responses to your inquiry.

Good luck if you are just starting out.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I'm a couch guy. But I would venture to guess that most car guys would prefer the Pfaff 1245 if budget was not a concern. If it IS a concern, I remember Jack (from Carrscorner) saying that the Chandler will do everything that the Pfaff will do.
The Pfaff (new name: Mauser Spezial) is priced in the mid-2grand range.
The Chandler is around a grand.
Confused yet? Wait 'til the car guys chime in. Then you'll REALLY be confused. ;D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

BigJohn

September 21, 2011, 05:17:26 pm #3 Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:18:20 pm by BigJohn
 The 1245 Pfaff is a fine machine, I've had one for several years. Pfaff's and The Durkopp Adler both are fine machines originating in Germany but original cost to buy and price of parts and accessories make them less popular.

Most people will tell you it all started with the Singer 111W155, a compound feed machine without reverse that is still to this day a very acceptable machine. Many other machines have been modeled after the Singer, The CM406RB-1 Chandler, the Consew 206RB-5, and the Seiko STH-8BLD-3 borrow a lot from the Singer and are very similar but not identical. The Juki is another fine choice Used a 563 has been spoken highly of on this board (Mojo has one as well as a Chandler) and there new model I believe would be a 1541S.

I would suggest contacting Bob Kovar at Toledo Sewing Machine as he is a straight shooter with good prices and lots of help when you need it!
His Ad is in the Suppliers section and his phone number is:  866-362-7397
Give him a call you wont be sorry you did!

Mojo

As John said I have a Chandler 406 and a Juki 563. Both are awesome machines and will do everything you will need it to do for the kind of work your looking at doing. There are other machines out there but I was budget conscious which is why I bought what I did. I bought my Chandler from Bob Kovar and with his help and guidance I bought my Juki from a private party. He helped me through the process of buying a used machine and helped prevent me from making a mistake and buying junk. Actually, he found my Juki for me on Craigslist. How many dealers do you know who will forgo a sale to help a customer ? :)

I love both of my machines but prefer the Chandler as I am not real crazy about top loading bobbin machines. But that is just my preference as there are a lot of owners on here who love their top loading machines.

I would check Craigslist to see what is available in your area. Stick with known brands ( Chandler, Consew, Juki, etc. ) and be damn sure it is a walking foot machine. You do not want to buy a non walking foot model. If you still need help come back on here with what you have found and we will help you further. Or if you prefer, contact Bob or Bobby Kovar and get their input. They are not aggressive salespeople and will NOT try and sell you a new machine but help guide you through the process of making the right selection.

Best of luck.

Chris

RocketmanMH1

Hey guys, I think i need to elaborate on my question a little bit. I have quite a few machines and am in no way a newbie to them or upholstery. I have never had the luxury of purchasing a new machine and the story behind my intentions may help you see the depth of my question........... I recently lost a friend of mine to a massive heart attack, he was only 31 yrs old.  We were very good pals and had some small change purchases tied up for resale together.  After his passing I called his family to let them know I would be liquidating all of our interests together and sending them his half of the money, they told me to keep the money and do what I wanted with it,  I miss my good friend and never got to say thank you for some of the things he did for me.  If I am able to get a new machine out of this deal, I want it to be a machine that will be with me until I can no longer use it.  When and if this materializes I want it to be the best I can do for the money, and it will also be a memorial of our friendship.  I know it may be a little diff. from normal circumstance, but so was he, and I know he would be glad i did this so he wouldn't have to hear me fussing at all these old machines. So, with that said....I want to know the details of what actually sold you on the machine you bought, even the little details that really was the deal maker for you.   
  Thanks for all the response...
Mike

sofadoc

Mike: Sorry to hear about your friend.
I'm wondering if you shouldn't be thinking "extra features", instead of a particular model. Maybe a lower priced new model with a nice selection of feet, and attachments for greater versatility? Just a thought.
As for a machine that will last as long as you do. I think the Pfaff 1245, or the Juki LU-1508 will certainly meet that criteria.

The kind gesture from your friend's family tells me that "The apple didn't fall far from the tree".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

slodat

It looks like I have a buyer for one of my older machines. My plan since I put the machine up for sale was to buy a brand new machine that would last me a lifetime. I have read specs asked lots of questions on here, other forums, talked to Gregg at Keystone, my local shop.. you get the idea. I plan to purchase a new Juki Lu-1508NH. Reasons I want this machine:

10mm maximum stitch length.
Very heavy duty machine.
Up to a 207 thread.
Large, horizontal bobbin.
The feed setup looks very appealing to me.

Anyway.. I'm hoping to buy this machine in the next month or so.

Mojo

I look at machines like I do cars. I have a Dodge pickup and it does everything I need it to do.  I could be driving a Corvette but why spend the extra money ? A car to me is nothing more then transportation and for getting from Point A to Point B.

The same holds true for my machines. A Juki 1508, Chandler 406, Consew 206, Adler, Pfaff, etc. they all do the same thing, they sew. You will never wear any of them out in your lifetime. I selected the Chandler because it was lower priced new and the attachments and parts are dirt cheap and plentiful. I took the savings and bought every attachment I could get my hands on for my machine. That is where I wanted to put my money versus putting it in a brand name and paying a premium price for it, which BTW was my previous profession. I got paid good money to brand products and make consumers want to spend more money on them. :)

Just something to think about.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

September 22, 2011, 07:25:16 am #9 Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:35:10 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: sofadoc on September 21, 2011, 03:33:41 pm
I'm a couch guy. But I would venture to guess that most car guys would prefer the Pfaff 1245 if budget was not a concern. If it IS a concern, I remember Jack (from Carrscorner) saying that the Chandler will do everything that the Pfaff will do.
Confused yet? Wait 'til the car guys chime in. Then you'll REALLY be confused. ;D

You guys know I don't pimp my stuff here, but before a message board member pays $2,500 for a Mauser Spezial, I sell that shipped delivered with assembled power stand and servo motor for under $2,000, just so people know.  It's the same factory and machine as the Pfaff, and is the best Chinese machine I think I've seen, very high quiality.  I can say that this machine can be run side by side with the German made machines, and nobody would know the difference.  The really are pretty nice.
http://store.keysew.com/catalog/product/be954ed280ec44b5ab54efccbf5218c2

If you are on the market and new to the business, don't focus too much on brands or models.  Focus more on who is selling the machine, and who is going to support it.  Today, price is as important as anything, and we all have options, but the best price is not always the best value for your money.

I find that when well meaning people show up to our show room, they have a lot of misconceptions and even misinformation that stems from their online research. Quickly folks find that the machine they were interested in is not at all what they are looking for as soon as they have the opportunity to see, touch, and feel the different style machines side by side.    

scottymc

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on September 22, 2011, 07:25:16 am
Quote from: sofadoc on September 21, 2011, 03:33:41 pm

You guys know I don't pimp my stuff here, but before a message board member pays $2,500 for a Mauser Spezial, I sell that shipped delivered with assembled power stand and servo motor for under $2,000, just so people know.  It's the same factory and machine as the Pfaff, and is the best Chinese machine I think I've seen, very high quiality.  I can say that this machine can be run side by side with the German made machines, and nobody would know the difference.  The really are pretty nice.
http://store.keysew.com/catalog/product/be954ed280ec44b5ab54efccbf5218c2

If you are on the market and new to the business, don't focus too much on brands or models.  Focus more on who is selling the machine, and who is going to support it.  Today, price is as important as anything, and we all have options, but the best price is not always the best value for your money.

I find that when well meaning people show up to our show room, they have a lot of misconceptions and even misinformation that stems from their online research. Quickly folks find that the machine they were interested in is not at all what they are looking for as soon as they have the opportunity to see, touch, and feel the different style machines side by side.    

Hey gregg,
This 1245 copy, does the phaff binder fit straight onto it, I am looking at selling up in awhile and will less room so I need to cull my machines and a 1245 with a binder is the do all machine for me, second hand one are few and far between. 

Mojo

I am curious. Are there any machines made in Japan or Germany anymore ?

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Mojo on September 23, 2011, 04:38:46 am
I am curious. Are there any machines made in Japan or Germany anymore ?

Chris

Sure, Juki and Seiko first come to mind for some models made in Japan, and I'm a little hazy but Durkopp Adler has some models made in both Germany and Czech Republic, again, depending on model.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: scottymc on September 22, 2011, 04:09:53 pm
Hey gregg,
This 1245 copy, does the phaff binder fit straight onto it, I am looking at selling up in awhile and will less room so I need to cull my machines and a 1245 with a binder is the do all machine for me, second hand one are few and far between. 

scottymc,

Yes, if you hexistingisiting Pfaff attachment, it should fit onto this the Mauser Spezial 1245.  Again, it's a really nice machine, and I've sold to our finicky Pfaff customers who have been very satisfied. 

scottymc

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on September 23, 2011, 10:56:57 am
Quote from: scottymc on September 22, 2011, 04:09:53 pm
Hey gregg,

scottymc,

Yes, if you hexistingisiting Pfaff attachment, it should fit onto this the Mauser Spezial 1245.  Again, it's a really nice machine, and I've sold to our finicky Pfaff customers who have been very satisfied. 

Hi Gregg
I have found the Mauser website and emailed them to find a dealer in Aus. but no reply, if you get talking to them in dealings with them can you ask if they have dealers in aus or can you pass on an email address that will answer.