Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:28:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anatomy of a Baja 38 Special engine hatch

Started by JuneC, September 12, 2011, 01:02:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

How hard can it be, right?  Never expected to find such elaborate woodwork under the foam and vinyl.  I'm rebuilding it in plastic. 

The boxes on the ends will accommodate cup holders.  There are only 2 cup holders in the entire boat so I"ll be adding 4 in this project.  Real fun cutting all those funky angles with nothing more than a jigsaw.  If I had it to do over, I'd just go out and buy a table saw - it would have saved me scads of time.

The black plastic is sitting on the fiberglass engine hatch.

1/4" PVC board was added at the sides to increase the width.  I could have made the original pieces wider, but never expected the fiberglass lid would be a full 2 inches narrower than the opening in the boat (which, BTW, has no channels for water that drips off the sides of the hatch.  It just drips straight over the engines.  We'll be adding a channel of some sort to catch the drips and funnel them into the bilge. 

The underside has cut-out holes so the upholstered cup holder trim board can be screwed in place from underneath.

Bolster piece before fiberglass.  This one holds the "pillows" and is upholstered separately.  It gets screwed on to the main frame from underneath after it's all done.

Last bit of construction.  This piece is fully supported underneath and doesn't need to be fiberglassed so I used PVC board.  The black stuff will adhere to fiberglass.

Starting the foam work.  Check out that bevel!!  I LOVE the Bosch foam saw.  I could never have done that with my turkey carver.

More to come...

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jeepdoc

:o   Nice cant wait to see the vinyl work

Mike8560

Looks like a lot of work.  Were do you buy your PVC board June ?
I asume your doing it all inside. Bolstered front seats and side panels?  I look forward to finnished pix in the boat

JuneC

I had no idea it would be so much work looking at the old seating installed.  It wasn't until I removed the pieces that I saw all that rotten wood structure underneath.

The black stuff is a nylon composite with a rough finish that holds fiberglass really well.  Heavy and expensive, but has a 1000 psi holding strength for screws.  It'll outlast the boat.  I get all my plastic sheets from Piedmont Plastics.  The black stuff is their exclusive product - AquaPlas V. 

I'm also replacing all the foam with dri-fast.

June

W. C. Fields

Peppy

Wowza! Thats a hunk of plastic! I did a motor cover for a Donzi a while ago, not nearly so intricate, and the thing must have weighed close to 300lbs. Whats this thing weigh? You might need Benny Boomtruck to lift it in, no?

Can't wait to see it skinned! Where are the dingle balls going?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

JuneC

So some of the pics got squashed in the virus eradication.  Here they are again with some new ones.  Progress....

Pattern on paper with lots of reference marks:

3/8" seam selvedge.  Lots of seams so 1/16" error x 18 or 20 seams = big problems

1/4" sew foam is sewn to the back of each piece.  No glue - I don't like the way it leaves an uneven finish sometimes.  The foam has to be oversized a bit since the scrim doesn't stretch as much as the vinyl will.

Got the sun bed mostly sewn today.  Pics in a day or two.

June

W. C. Fields

bobbin

Beautiful work, June!  How many hours do you have into the job?

I love my foam saw, but often prefer the carving knife for bevelling because it's lighter.  But it's taken years to get a really good, smooth, even cut with it.  You can't beat alternating blades for a smooth cut!

JuneC

Thanks!  The foam saw gives me issues with the size of the grip more so than the weight, though it DOES get heavy after a while. 

I've got maybe 40 or 50 hours into it so far.  Most of my time was spent on the structure since I'm
a)  not a carpenter
b)  didn't have the right tools

Sawing the length of the boards with 30 and 45 degree cuts was a PITA with a jigsaw as the blade heated up and stuck in the plastic every few inches.  It would take me 1/2 hour to make one cut.  The plastic, once heated, was hard as a rock and made a tough spot to get through so I'd have to anticipate the heat and stop cutting to let everything cool down.

June

W. C. Fields

JuneC

So now all I need are a couple of 200 pound gorillas to stretch it on while I staple  ::)

June

W. C. Fields

bobbin

Do you use fabric stretchers?  I've never used them, but a friend of mine in the awning industry swears by them and uses them all the time when he has to crank fabric around a frame and tech. screw it in place.  He says they really save the fingers, and reduce hand fatigue.