Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 03:39:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

fabric to fabric adhesive

Started by jjrbus, September 08, 2011, 09:52:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jjrbus

I have a modern office chair I would like to recover.  It is a plastic frame with cloth over sculpted foam.

The seat area has me baffled, the seat area is concave, if I stretched and stapled the new material there would be a void. The only option I can see is to glue the new material to the existing material.

Is this doable?  What would be the best adhesive?

Thanks in advance    Obviously not a Pro         JIm

kodydog

September 08, 2011, 10:36:27 am #1 Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:40:00 am by kodydog
Not unheard of. Gotta make sure to get the old cover off without ruining the foam. And the new fabric must be able to take the new glue without soaking all the way through. When putting the new fabric on spray a coat on both the fabric and foam and let it dry a few minutes. Be careful when positioning the new fabric as the glue is very sticky and hard to adjust once its on. Any upholsterer who sells retail should be able to set you up with the right kind of spray glue (watered down contact cement). The stuff I use has low VOC's so you don't get high when your spraying.

Good luck jjrbus

Just reread your post. Covering over old fabric is a no no for us pros. But if your covering it for your self OK. The same method applies.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

jjrbus

Thanks for the response always appreciated!

It's doable that's a big help!

There are no retail upholstery suppliers in this area, not in the phone book anyway.  Could you recommend a commercially available adhesive?

JIm

kodydog

September 08, 2011, 02:52:20 pm #3 Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:11:19 pm by kodydog
Some of these people might disagree but my experience is their all about the same. Here's one from a supplier at the top of the page,
http://www.profhdwr.com/adhesiveU.htm

I'm sure there are others so you can shop around and never leave this site.

sofadoc

You can probably find an aerosol can of 3M #8080 adhesive at most any auto supply store. But it'll be close to $20, which may be over your budget for a one-time use.
Are there any trim shops in your area? If so, one of them might be willing to part with a partial can.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jjrbus

Thanks for the responses, always appreciated!

I find the adhesives confusing?  I had some 3M general trim adhesive and did a test on that.  It does not take much to pull the test piece's apart. So I am assuming that it will not work with the constant movement in the seat area?

I have found   3M™ Foam & Fabric 24 Spray Adhesive  locally for $10 a can or would the #8080 be better.  I don't mind $20 if it will work.
                                                  JIm

kodydog

Quote from: jjrbus on September 09, 2011, 05:35:59 am
Thanks for the responses, always appreciated!
I find the adhesives confusing?  I had some 3M general trim adhesive and did a test on that.  It does not take much to pull the test piece's apart. So I am assuming that it will not work with the constant movement in the seat area?

Either you didn't use enough glue, or you didn't wait long enough (or waited too long) before pressing the pieces together. Sometimes some fabrics need to dry a while after you press them together (even over night) before you start tugging and stretching to staple it.

Darren Henry

QuoteBe careful when positioning the new fabric as the glue is very sticky and hard to adjust once its on

After the glue has tacked up lay two pieces of wax paper or saran wrap on the seat and then line up your fabric. Fold the fabric in half and remove that piece of paper and lay the fabric into the glue. Repeat for the other side.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

jjrbus

Hey Guy's thanks for the input.

I used 3M™ Foam & Fabric 24 Spray Adhesive from Granger.

Stapling into the plastic frame was a challenge, had to use a pneumatic.

Chair came out pretty good. Not as good as you would do, but I'm happy.

Now I hope it passes the test of time.        JIm