Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2024, 08:43:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help From You Experts

Started by Mojo, August 29, 2011, 08:06:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

Quote from: Mojo on August 29, 2011, 09:26:54 am

He said he went back and stretched it and installed awnings tension flaps but the cross hatch is till there.

Chris

from this statement it sounds like the pucker were present before he installed it   
Treied to streach them out.
This would point to it not being a problem from when it was rolled althought the pattern was more prononce then got lighter

Mojo

No idea Mike. I am completely lost on this issue. Like I said before I have seen puckers and wrinkles before on awnings and they normally will present long creases. This is a pattern that seems like it came right out of the fabric itself. It is to symmetrical to be caused by a pucker or wrinkle. And that cross hatch pattern repeats itself throughout the fabric.

This is one strange occurrence for sure.

Chris

kodydog

Strange for sure. Have you taken some scrap and set it in the blazing Fl sun for a couple of days and see what happens. If nothing happens at your house it must be something going on there.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

BigJohn

You know this is going to sound real stupid, but some of those awning rollers and tracks have a sheet metal screw that goes into the area with the spline in it to hold the fabric in place. Could the fabric caught up just a little on a not completely removed screw causing the damage you see?

Mojo

No idea John. I will find out more when I can see it and feel it with my own eyes and hands. :)

Chris

Darren Henry

QuoteYou know this is going to sound real stupid,

That's not outside the realm of possibility at all. Has anyone got a scrap of recacril they can try to pull the weave on before poor old Chris pulls his other tow hairs out? :P
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

I met with my customer and inspected the awning. It was just like the picture and looked like it was quilted. It is for sure the fabric. It did it on all of the awnings I made except two which were cut from a different roll.

Recassens and Miami are standing behind it and making it right. The customer was real nice and understanding about it. I thought maybe it was an installation deal or environmental deal ( overspray from a paint booth at the dealer ). Turns out the patio awning was installed at the dealer. The coach was then taken back to his storage facility and the rest installed there by the customer. 2 different installers and 2 different locations.

It is NOT a roll up problem or adjustment issue. The pattern is to symetrical. So back to the machine to make some more awnings. :( I cannot believe the guy actually ordered solar screens from me today after all the problems with his awnings. :)

I am sending some of the fabric to Miami Mike for Miami to inspect and then I believe it is getting shipped back to the mill in Spain for testing. Thank God I have an awesome supplier and manufacturer to work with. This could have ended up costing me a lot of money.

Chris

Allan

Chris

It is good to see that it is working out in everyone's favour
It is good to have manufacturers and suppliers that stand by their products
Not a common event in this economic environment these days

Allan

Mojo

Miami Mike and Recassens could have easily blamed me, thumbed their nose up at me and walked away. Instead they are standing behind me and supporting me and making things right for me on my end.

I would have never gotten this kind of service through Rochford or maybe another supplier. Miami has been in the loop from the beginning and offering help and advice. I have also learned a great deal about canvas with this project. Mike is an expert on this subject and has toured many mills watching it being made. He knows the entire process and knows canvas. he has been great in educating me and answering questions.

I do not want to just order fabric and stitch it and send it out the door. I want to know as much as I can about the materials I use so I can better educate my customers. The fibers, weaving technology, etc. I seem to not be able to get enough of this information.

Mike has a philosophy which is: " The better your reputation and the more successful you are the better it is for us ". Mike rocks and I cannot say enough good things about him. This project has been a real downer for me and I have beat myself up over it because I took it personal. I like my work to be of the highest quality and when something like this happens it kills you.  I know it was nothing I did but it makes you doubt yourself. Worse yet this customer is a shaker and mover in the RV association I do work for so I had to go above and beyond the call of duty for him.

Thank God this is all going to come out good. Mike has really helped me keep myself together through this. Which brings me to my fathers old saying:  " surround yourself with good people and good things happen to you ". :)

Chris 

DBR1957

Just out of curiousity, are you getting compensated for your time to remake the awnings?

Not surprised the customer asked for additional work. The had a problem and you went
to lengths to find the cause. I'm sure they are appreciating your effort just as you appreciate
Mike and Recassens efforts.

Mike8560

EI'VE never heard of a fabris maker reembursing the labor to redosome bad canvas.
And I. My time I havnt heard of other shop till  the net of fabfric going bad except for strataglass   

kodydog

Quote from: Mojo on September 02, 2011, 06:22:28 am
Miami Mike and Recassens could have easily blamed me, thumbed their nose up at me and walked away. Instead they are standing behind me and supporting me and making things right for me on my end.

With every difficulty comes the means to overcome it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

JuneC

Quote from: DBR1957 on September 02, 2011, 10:53:13 am
Just out of curiousity, are you getting compensated for your time to remake the awnings?

Generally, warranty doesn't reimburse labor, but if there is a known problem with the product they will.  No experience with Recasens, but Glen Raven reimbursed me for about $2 grand worth of labor on a LARGE cover I made about 5 years ago that went from Cadet Grey to Pea Soup Green in less than a year ... not in cash, but in free product.  They knew of the problem, recalled all the defective Cadet Grey they could, but I just happened to get my hands on 30 yards of it from an authorized distributor and made and large, complex cover that cost me weeks of time and my customer a bunch of money.  They honored their warranty, without question, and I expect Recasens will as well. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

NeJune I've never had a problem like that. 
Did you get the canvas from Tri v or MH ? And did you recieve the free fabric all from the same dist?  Just wonedering how it worked?

Mojo

The vast majority of manufacturers state in their warranty that labor is not covered, only materials. Mike is already in touch with Recassens and they are going to supply me with all new material. I have a month to turn the new awnings around since my customer is out in his coach on a trip out of State.

Having 30 days will allow me to work this into my schedule and I am just now heading into a slow time so it will work out good.

I do not expect any reimbursement for labor as I know the warranty policies of the manufacturers but I am sure Miami and Recassens will look after me. :)

Chris