Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 05:32:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hm, is it worth it?

Started by christwo, August 19, 2011, 09:46:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

christwo

August 19, 2011, 09:46:41 pm Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:48:31 pm by christwo
A customer today asked me to cover these seats in vinyl, but I wanted to know I could do it before they ordered them. My question is this, how was the fabric fastened to the frame, is that simply contact cement? I doubt that there would be exposed staples in the back of the seat? Never had to do a pair of bucket seats like this before, and a bit in the dark! Told them I would ponder it for a day, and get back to them. Here are the seats:
Here is the link of unable to click on the picture. http://www.sonicmotor.com/v/vspfiles/photos/S-K103-CLR-2.jpg

MTupguy

Velcro? Tight elastic?  WTF!??

Hell Bat

Alum built race seats have only a few snaps holding pad/upholstery on,for most, the pre made upholstery that comes with the seat is fairly low cost and mass made,with replacements cheep too.
But if he wishs custom color/pad/style other then stock stuff from OEM,you may be abli to make $

christwo

That makes perfect sense, snaps! I dont know why I didnt think about that. This wont be so bad then.

Darren Henry

I've never done one of those; but my guess would be that molded plastic outside back will be held on by some type of clip and that once you remove it you'll find J-welt on flies holding the upholstery in place.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

seamsperfect

Looks similar to a Recaro pole position.  If so then the center pads Velcro in the middle, there is also Velcro on the inside bolsters edges.  A wire is on the outer edge and is pulled taught.  They are simple to do if you use a cloth or vinyl.  I am finishing a set up in leather and if the pattern is not close to perfect it does not lay right.
Kevin