Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 05:37:02 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Nakajima 280L info?

Started by christwo, August 11, 2011, 04:17:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

christwo

August 11, 2011, 04:17:48 pm Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:38:59 pm by christwo
Does anybody know anything of this model machine? I am going to purchase one that is being sold for $400.00. Any input or information appreciated!

fragged8

did you read Mojo's post ? he paid  $400 for a Juki second hand

I'd go for a well known brand every time.

christwo

August 11, 2011, 04:52:47 pm #2 Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:10:28 pm by christwo
I have heard that Juki bought out Nakajima. I seen one on eBay of the same model going for 800.00. It looks identical to the DNU-241, however I am not sure. It is in southern California. I have done allot of looking around for a well priced walking foot machine and everything I found in the price range of this seemed to be garmet machines such as the DDL-555. That is why I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this machine. I have a Don Taylor book that references Pffaf as well as Nakajima however Juki is not. This may very well be irrelevant however.

sofadoc

Same as Juki DNU 241. Bottom load, big bobbin, reverse, 5/16" max stitch length. Many (if not all) of the parts are same as the Juki.
Except for the larger bobbin, not much of an upgrade over the 562 you have now. Maybe an extra 1/32" stitch length.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

christwo

Yeah it is definitely not to replace the 562, I could not be happier with the 562! :]. I am going to expand the business to California where I have allot of family for when I visit I can have income there as well. I have searched for another 562 as a matter of fact, but came up short of luck. I originally learned on a 241 so that is kind of exciting for me. After seeing the stitch length of the 562 I don't need anything bigger at the moment, I imagine it is probably the same as the 241 was. It seems the 562 was almost identical to the 241 in functionality minus the top feed of the bobbin.

Mojo

Have you tried Craigslist ?

I found a lot of machines on there.

Chris

christwo

Yeah as a matter of fact that is where I found this one heh! I checked every surrounding area in the southern California area and this seems to be the best bet. I will keep my eyes open though, I have been rechecking it frequently for new developments.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Damn man, I can hardly get $800 for refurbished large bobbin with walking foot with reverse, six month warranty, and brand new assembled power stand stand with new servo motor.

People here are correct about the Nakajima above.  Large M bobbin, 135X17 needle, same presser feet as Singer 111W/LU-563/Consew206RB, etc.  Very nice machine, but old at this point.  Old does not indicate conditon however.

sofadoc

I wouldn't let the Nakajima name scare you off if you liked the DNU 241.
Is $400 your budget?
I get a ton of mailers from Alberoni in L.A.. They always have some rebuilt Juki's and Consews in the $700-$995 range.
Are you going to be in SoCal to test drive one in the near future?

christwo

Yeah I will be down there on the 31st. It is located in Paso Robles, it kind of worked out great because I have a friend who lives in Paso Robles who is willing to pick up the machine for me, and then let me work it off for him when I arrive. He has a truck that needs the seats redone, so we arranged that I will I will redo his seats for him for the machine. Kind of works out for the both of us. I arranged a meet with him and the seller for tomorrow, and exclaimed everything I wanted the seller to go over with him and the seller. If all checks out he should have the machine tomorrow. It will work great for me so that I have a machine to work on as soon as I get in town seeing as how I have about 3 other jobs already lined up!

christwo

Can't really tell but from the picture it looks relatively clean

http://slo.craigslist.org/tls/2527113722.html

sofadoc

The picture is a little distant and blurry, but it looks good. If your buddy doesn't know how to try it out, you ought to at least see if the seller can e-mail, or Blue-tooth you a picture of a stitched piece of vinyl, or leather. If the stitching looks good, you probably can't go wrong for $400.

christwo

Good advice, I didn't really think about that but your right, he will have no idea of how to tell wether or not it sews right.

Mojo

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on August 11, 2011, 06:00:57 pm
Damn man, I can hardly get $800 for refurbished large bobbin with walking foot with reverse, six month warranty, and brand new assembled power stand stand with new servo motor.

Greg:

I keep telling you that you and Bob's prices are to bloody high. You two guys force us to Craiugslist for these used purchases. Part of the reason why is because us stitchers are so broke we cannot pay attention......  :P

All kidding aside, I cannot believe the number of machines out there on Craigslist. It appears everyone and their brother bought a machine and then found out they didn't want it or need it. Maybe they found out they will never get rich sewing for a living. And another popular story - " I bought it to sew sails for my boat....or my seats for my car....or to do the canvas on my boat..." :)

I have seen some incredible buys from private owners.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on August 12, 2011, 04:43:27 am
And another popular story - " I bought it to sew sails for my boat....or my seats for my car....or to do the canvas on my boat..." :)

I'm always a little wary when I see that. Reminds me of the old used car line: "Only driven once by a little old lady in Pasedena".

I've told this story before, but about 3 years ago, a lady had just bought an inflatable bounce house business. The business came with a Juki LU-1508. She had no intention of trying to make her own bounce house repairs, so she was selling the machine on Craigslist for $375.
The ad came up at 3:00 PM on a Sunday. Her place was 40 miles away.
By 4:00 PM, I was driving away from her house with it. She threw in 6 full I lb. spools of 207 thread. The thread alone was probably worth $200.
I still check my local Craigslist all the time. I've never seen another one that even comes close to that one.