Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 03:25:42 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Nakajima 280L info?

Started by christwo, August 11, 2011, 04:17:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Doc:

I had to laugh at some of the pictures of machines. Many of them show the machine all set up on the table and ready to sew and in the background is a dining room table and chairs or a couch. I seen one this week where the guy had it set up in his bedroom. :)

Of course I cannot say much because my new Juki is sitting in my living room and when I finish off the prep work on the 20 ft awnings they will be sewn in the living room. Its the only place around here I can extend 20 ft rolls behind me. I was going to do it outside but the weather has been crap.

When you do not know machines and model numbers like I do it can get real confusing. I was seconds from pulling the plug on another Juki but decided to call Bob and get his input. I gave him the model number and he said " Oh heck no......you don't want that machine. It is not a walking foot ". Yet the owner told me it was.

I really caution others to check these machines out real good and if your not sure on a particular model number call Bob or Greg and get their expert opinion. In most cases they can also tell you of any problems with that particular model and what to look for.

Chris

sofadoc

Yeah, when you ask most Craigslist sellers if it is suitable for upholstery, thet respond with "Uh-h-h-h.......YEAH.......SURE!"
What drives me crazy is that they never show a close-up of the needle bar area. BUT, they lov-v-v-ve to post a pic of the motor. Most non-sewers seem to think that the motor is the brains of the whole outfit.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

fragged8

I bought a machine off ebay several months ago now

the pics were a bit rubbish but the description said it had a
servo motor and stitched well.

When I got it i was so pissed, the motor was a clutch motor
and when i plugged it in the thing smoked and almost burst
into flames.

I tried the ebay service to resolve the problem and that was
a total waste of time, the machine is still sitting in my workshop
waiting on a motor.

Be sceptical of poor photos and descriptions for that matter.

Rich

christwo

August 12, 2011, 01:44:57 pm #18 Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:49:35 pm by christwo
To be honest I don't understand why people have such a difficult time posting legible photos unless otherwise done intentionally. The people that I am getting this 280L from say they own an established and respected van conversion company or some company of the sort in southern California. So I have to wonder, if that is the case would you not have a decent camera laying around? Maybe one used to document certain jobs done? Or anything else for that matter? A decent camera I thought went hand in hand with any professional establishment. If not for portfolio purpose, how about for family photo's? lol. You would expect someone with an industrial machine to understand the necessity of detail but I guess that is not the case. That or they do understand the necessity of detail, which is why the pictures are so poor. I have the benefit of having someone I trust personally go over the machine before agreeing to any transaction otherwise I would be quiet skeptical my self. Infact without personal inspection or from a trusted source, would probably never consider a shipping arrangement, no matter how seemingly good of a deal. Just to many variables.