Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 19, 2024, 03:58:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Boat cover questions

Started by jeepdoc, August 09, 2011, 06:50:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jeepdoc

First would be what is the best way to make a pole pocket or do you need to? The cover I need to make will require a pole. Note this would be my first attempt.

Thread i know everyone recomends tendra what size 92 or 138?

Ive had more calls for covers than interiors lately figiure its time to learn. just need to make some adjustments to my sewing table and we will give it a try

Thanks Jeff

Mike8560

A pole pocket. Do you meen your cover will need to cover a ski pilon?
If so theni just  make the cover with a hole for it then neasur how high the pole is above the cover
make a cilinder with a cap. Theeee was a thread here about the math on what to cut I think pie or somthing todo with the diameter of the circle
just sew it tithe cover 

jeepdoc

Mike i mean where a tent pole would fit into the underside of the cover to tent up the cover near the back of the cover so water will run off

Mike8560

Oh I like the poles with a snap on top just sew a pad with a female snap to the corect  spot on the cover
do the same if it's a gromett tip. Cut put a gromett throught the whole cover

regalman190

I use a square vinyl patch with a female socket in the middle and sew the patch under the cover. Than, I use an adjustable mooring pole with a stud at the end.

Regal Canvas

JuneC

Those pockets never work to hold the pole in place.  I'm always surprised when I find one on a cover as they're notoriously ineffective.  Almost anything will work better to keep your pole in place under the cover.  Like Regal, I put in a patch (I like scrap Strataglass) with a female snap button to attach the snap end of the pole.  Put the snap in your patch before sewing it on.   You'll never get to the center of the cover with a snap tool because the throat isn't large enough.

If the pole is one with the grommet point, I'll put in a #3 grommet for it to go through.  Problem with grommets and using that type of pole is that the cover will billow up in a breeze and the pole will fall unless it's fastened down really tightly. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

meen thebgrimett type June right ?
I've seen plenty where the pole fell over when the wind lifted the co er

I make my patches round regal then you don't make s mistake eith the squares orentation

jeepdoc

Thanks for the ideas you guys know what works.

Last question looking on labor hrs to make a cover for an 18ft bow rider I found on marine fabricators labor times not sure what a pass means but looks like any where from 8 to 16 hrs is that right? I know will take longer on the first bunch I do. How do you guys figure labor hours I have my labor rate justlooking for hour rates

fragged8

i've wondered about the pass thing in the fabricators times

I think its just the amount of times you sew around the hem of a cover.

Eg. if you only sew binding on the edge thats just one pass

if you sew reinforcement along the hem and fold the raw edge in at the same time
that will be two passes
and if you sew in reinforcement first and then some binding after, that will need 3 passes.

Rich

Peppy

August 10, 2011, 05:39:08 pm #9 Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:52:06 pm by Peppy
I take pass to mean a run of fabric side to side on the boat. If your boat is 80" long it will require two passes of 46" wide fabric.

Does anybody else use these things-
http://boatvent.com/products.html#1

we've used them for the last couple years on topgun jobs. We're using them more actually. I like them, makes the tarp look space ship-y. I like the adjusta-vent thing on that link. Hadn't seen them before. Let's you adjust the post from the outside. I guess you'd only need a 3/4" tube without the adjuster fitting. Wonder what they cost though, the normal vent is a little dear. Especially compared to a snap.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

August 10, 2011, 07:01:01 pm #10 Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:36:03 am by Mike8560
Pass i a normal runabout like a 20 foot bowrider will have a cockpit cover made in two passes of canvas about 12' long front the window back ond on the port and one on the starboard  with a Seam down the center front to back.  

Peppy

If the passes run front to back, what does a 4 pass boat look like?
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

I'd say a big  beam with 46" canvas

JuneC

Quote from: jeepdoc on August 10, 2011, 08:43:11 am
Thanks for the ideas you guys know what works.

Last question looking on labor hrs to make a cover for an 18ft bow rider I found on marine fabricators labor times not sure what a pass means but looks like any where from 8 to 16 hrs is that right? I know will take longer on the first bunch I do. How do you guys figure labor hours I have my labor rate justlooking for hour rates

Your hours are heavily dependent on the type of cover.  A fitted, snap-on cover will take more hours than a throw-over semi-fitted cover with a drawstring.  If you can do your first one in 16 hours, I'd say you're doing well.  Depends as well on your personality - do you check, recheck, remeasure everything?  Add 4 hours.  If you "go for broke" and take chances, subtract 4. 

Quote from: Peppy on August 10, 2011, 05:39:08 pm

Does anybody else use these things-
http://boatvent.com/products.html#1

I use them frequently, even on Sunbrella.  I like the Vent-So-Port II like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boat-Cover-Pooling-Pole-Top-Boat-Cover-Vent-Black-/110431372702
with the large wing nut underneath.  The old screw-on types I didn't like at all. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Hoose time sfardsrts are joke. 
I'd never make any money if it took as long as they say or would my customers want to paywhat the job  for thoose hours