Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:46:47 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Thread for Marine Upholstery

Started by Lmc530, July 29, 2011, 07:16:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lmc530

I'd like to get some opinions on the best thread for marine upholstery..

Interior seating and cushions and outdoor vinyl and canvas..

Some of the threads I'm interested in are Polymatic, Tenara and SolarFix PTFE 2000 denier thread...

It seems the Sunguard gives me more trouble than it's worth..   Thanks..

Mojo

I use Solarfix ( Tenara ) on all of my awnings and on exposed seams on outdoor covers, etc. It is the best thread going for marine / RV / outdoor fabrics.

Some people have said it is finicky on their machines ( tension settings ) but I have never had a problem with it. I also have never had a problem with Sunguard and use it alot. I am not real impressed with the Durabond Poly thread and have gotten several bad spools of it. I believe our shores got dumped on with cheap chinese imitations a couple years ago and is still being sold as Durabond.

Solarfix 92 or Sunguard 138 is all I use.

Chris

Mike8560

I use v92 dabond white mostly   Pproblt sim to the polymatic
cor inside I woulnd worry about tenara   
Me I'd be concerned with it cutting the vinyl but I think June said she has used it on boat vinly seats ?

Lmc530

Great feedback.. thanks..

What do you think works best for vinyl seating then?? 

Mike8560

July 29, 2011, 12:09:50 pm #4 Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:11:07 pm by Mike8560
V92 poly has give to it

bobbin

We use V92 polyester in the shop.  If you're working on vinyls it's always a good idea to test your tension settings, sometimes loosening it a scooch will minimize any chance of too-tight tension cutting the fabric. 

I prefer to used V69 polyester on interior work when I'm working from my own shop.  I find it "marries" better with the lighter, "furniture weight" acrylics.  And if UV isn't a factor I see no reason that "bigger is better". 

JuneC

I recently did our own Formula 280SS cockpit completely in Tenara clear monofilament, including the topstitching.  The topstitch wasn't as prominent at it might be with 138 poly, but it looked good.  What I did like about it was the fact that the thread didn't absorb dirty water so after 6 months, the thread was still clean and white.  Also, it didn't cut the vinyl at all (I used moderate tension, 1/4" sew foam and a long stitch).  We just sold the boat and replaced it with a Baja '38 Special (which, of course, needs upholstery).  Pics to come.  Man is the engine cover a maze! 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Cool June is it faster ? Twins?
Some of thoose Baja sunpads were elaborate next thing worse I've seen is a fountian  lightning ring.
I'd like to see it when you can  and the formula seats   Did you have to sell low to move it ?   

JuneC

Twin turbo diesels.  Still on the hard getting a new cooling system.  It was sorely neglected.  Supposed to cruise at 50 mph and about 20 gal per hour.  Bimini for lunch????  ;D  We'll see.  Stay tuned.  We weren't even trying to sell the Formula - it wasn't listed.  Someone saw it and said they wanted it.  Everything has a price, right?  And since we're in the business it went.  I never posted pics of the upholstery, did I...  I'll get those up tonight or tomorrow morning. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

diesels sweet and you won't have to worry about that lousy ethonal

fragged8

my step dad took the mercruiser V8's out of his bayliner and replaced with
5cyl straight Audi turbo diesels and contra props.

they are very smooth and about half the price to run, ok it doesnt do 45mph anymore
but he still gets 30+

rich

Grebo

Quote from: bobbin on July 29, 2011, 02:00:48 pm

I prefer to used V69 polyester on interior work when I'm working from my own shop.  I find it "marries" better with the lighter, "furniture weight" acrylics.  And if UV isn't a factor I see no reason that "bigger is better". 

Like wise bobbin, the 92 just seems  to thick & heavy sometimes on the lighter materials.

Suzi

baileyuph

69 or 92 polyester on the marine upholstery.  For covers, still searching for the best stuff.  I got some tenara and so far ok for covers and repairs.  Will see how it works out.

On the boat comments, as a non boater, I can't imagine something using 20 gallons an hour.  I suppose the rellief in cost is, you don't have to run the engines as long to get there? ;)

Doyle

SteveMoke

You took the words right out'a my mouth DB ... I thought 20 gallons per hour was a typo!