Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 06:34:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

housewife machine on auto seats

Started by Hell Bat, July 03, 2011, 09:14:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hell Bat

July 03, 2011, 09:14:45 am Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:28:50 am by Hell Bat
Ok it's wrong machine but it's what I have and here's how to make it work anyway if your in the same fix;
I'm not going 4  pro work,just hobbie.
The info maybe handy for low$ car guys.
I'm bad at photos here so I'm linking you to were I did a full run down of how to, with  old KENMORE;

Enjoy the photos,I get good info from you guys,so feel free to jump in,I'll A to Q's or I'll just learn from your input.
I'd love to have a real walking foot to make things EZer but we go with what we got at the time in hot rods. 8)
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604077

Dana
Miami fl.

bobbin

You can use a rock to drive a railroad spike, for Pete's sake. 

I don't know how to reply to your question, Hell Bat.  You are using a "house wife machine" and you know it's not the proper tool for the job you want to do.  What sort of pearls are you waiting for me/others to cast forth?  I can't remember the last time I jackassed around with a "housewife machine" that didn't involve buttonholes!

There comes a time when we all have to "figure it out" or send it out to someone who can get the job done. 

Hell Bat

July 03, 2011, 10:11:39 am #2 Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:01:42 pm by Hell Bat
Hi Bobbin ;D
I know Pete, he get's the job done when others would not of tryed.
I made the post for the low$ guys,like my self that can't pay some one or buy the right machine. ;)
So no $ getting away from any pro there,you lost nothing.
Input here is great on the how too's and love that 8)
I started out with the fact"wrong machine" and why.
There are real limits to what can be done with a housewife machine for sure and I'm showing what they are hopfully.
This should keep super low$ guy from screwing up stuff,cut wast and misstakes.

bobbin

You'll figure out or you won't. 

All sewing machines work the same basic way. 

Hell Bat

July 03, 2011, 12:00:26 pm #4 Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:01:47 pm by Hell Bat
From that I take it you did not get a look  at or read the link I put in to my info.
It's OK understand that from anyone with all the right machines who thinks I'm wasting my time right off, yet didn't see what is being done with in limits.
Any way thank you for input,it all helps.

bobbin

Or maybe I did and had nothing salient to offer.  ;)

kodydog

Quote from: Hell Bat on July 03, 2011, 12:00:26 pm
From that I take it you did not get a look  at or read the link I put in to my info.
It's OK understand that from anyone with all the right machines who thinks I'm wasting my time right off, yet didn't see what is being done with in limits.
Any way thank you for input,it all helps.

We all do what we can with what we have. I always cuss myself every time I use my jig saw when what I really need is a floor mounted band saw. My very first reupholstery job was a recliner I did for my dad. My wife sewed it on a Singer Feather Light. We muddled through it and it looked pretty good when we were done. But my wife said never again and soon after we bought our first industrial machine.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Hell Bat

A small update,got the seats done too. 8) ;D
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/jal_attachments/1/5/3/7/5/1371629.thumb?d=1310438261
I had help from my son feeding the parts through this old machine,only way to get it nice.
My son loves them.
We'll be doing rugs next.

kodydog

Don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't get your link to open. the first thread you posted opens fine. A screen comes up wanting to know how I want to open the thumb but when I click on OK nothing happens. Guess I'm just a computer idiot. Sure would like to see those pics.

needles eye

Hi, back from the spammed. Lonely out there.  :-X
Both the links open up for me.
Photo looks fab, better than your origonal line drawing earlier posted.
Like your style. Really like it.
You certainly got great results with that Kenmore on the drawing table!!
Inspirational.
A vuestra salud! (Sp.), to your health!  ;D

Hell Bat

July 12, 2011, 09:37:21 am #10 Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:38:55 am by Hell Bat
Thanks gang. ;D
Just open the first link then and go to last page bottom were photo is of compeated seats,you can then click on photo for a bigger view even. 8)

kodydog

needles eye

July 12, 2011, 09:22:06 pm #12 Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:24:42 pm by needles eye
Superb site you've shared there Hellbat, hoping to spend more time on there. Been reading lots of car upholstery books lately, and, the best one found so far is Automotive Upholstery Handbook by Don Taylor, got it from the library. Gotta go, have some taxi seats to recover. 'Later.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168060

Hell Bat

Thanks,
It's seats are set up so the back of seat leans forword for storage behind it,like FixAFlat, some tools,jumpers and a trap. The bottom lifts up to get to Bat box and brake cly,plus the radio is under it[remoto controled] with two speekers under dash.
There is little to no room ,if ya don't plan ahead on this stuff to make stuff open up to use every in. of space! ;D

Shown

Thanks dude. Its really strange.  ;)