Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 06:31:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Looking for advice on a possibly large furniyure quote.

Started by SHHR, June 25, 2011, 05:43:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SHHR

I'm seeking any advice I may need when going to quote what could work out to be a large or re-occuring job this next week.

I've been playing phone tag for about two weeks with the event coordinator and planning manager of a local college. After speaking to the manager last evening, I've scheduled an appointment next Thursday to look at work needing done in their campus center and various other spots around the campus.

This is a private four year college, so I don't believe they're having the financial issues state universities are having. Also, being private I know for a fact they are not required to get the necessary three quotes that most state or public institutions must get and I'm the only one they've contacted (so far). I also expect to have to "sit on" my material investment until paid at a later date, although I am going to ask for a material deposit, but I'm fine if I don't get it.

With that much said, is there any other advice you guys can give that I need to ask the manager or need to "stick to my guns on" for dealing with this college?

This college is fairly large that can also lead to further work with them not to mention their fraternity / sorority houses as well.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kyle

JuneC

You are a small businessman, they are a large college.  Why would you extend them credit?  In my experience large institutions don't pay on time.  They're really good at passing the buck when it comes time to find someone who can actually tell you where your check is and why it's not in your hands.   Maybe your college is an exception, but I'd beware until maybe a few months down the road when you have a track record with them and they've paid on time for several jobs. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Quote from: SHHR on June 25, 2011, 05:43:24 am
This college is fairly large that can also lead to further work with them not to mention their fraternity / sorority houses as well.

If it's anything like the colleges that I've done, the soroity furniture will be in pristeen condition, the frat furniture will be little more than mere kindling.  :)
The fact that they don't have to get 3 quotes could work FOR you, or AGAINST you.
Just because state schools are required to get 3 quotes, they don't necessarily have to go with the lowest bid. They have ways around that. And just because a private school doesn't have to get other bids, it doesn't mean they won't.
Make sure that they know of all the extra little frills they may get from you. This will plant a sub-conscious thought in their head. They will remember them when, and if they have to choose between you and the other guy.
If indeed they ARE only getting a bid from you, then your only competition is the new furniture store (which could be the stiffest competition of all).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

DBR1957

If you have to wait for your money don't forget to include "Cost to Carry" in
the estimate. Cost to Carry is how much money you lose, in interest for example,
by having to pay out for the materials and the lack of cash flow.

Make sure an authorized person signs the contract!

Specify payment conditions, Net 30 or discounts for early payment. Don't discount
for credit card payments. You lose twice. The discount and the percentage you
have to pay the card processing center.

Get written and signed off agreement on material choice and color.

Leave nothing to verbal authorization.

If you feel this might be a recurring gig with many of the same items, then
estimate for the first group and state subsequent groups will be priced according
to the actual time you spent on the first.