Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 10:19:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

appreciate input

Started by fragged8, June 19, 2011, 02:57:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Peppy

The straps are just for extra adjustability. The flaps would hold the bar in place but the straps allow for the extra bit of snugness. The tabs on the bends allow for a ton of adjustment to the fit Rich. I find most of the shape of the top comes from the tabs. I can undo the flap zippers and the top retains it's look. Mind you with a sag in the middle... I've made a few tops with flaps around the bends and you really have to be bang on with the lines on the pattern or it fits like sh...poo. More than likley it's a symptom of how we pattern and build our tops. All at once like a big bag. If the lines and the sewing are a little off it'll throw the curtains all out of whack. It's partly why I developed the push gauge dooie.

Why sculpted pockets? I'd figure yours are more sculpted? That article was from a while ago, it's on the Marine Fab website. Under how to's I think. But I don't like that Hood Canvas guys system at all. Not how he patterns or builds them. Just my opinion. Seems to work for him.

I don't think I'd trust the fabric to stretch beautifully raising 2 bars 2". That'd be a big piece of scrap!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

June 23, 2011, 08:14:56 pm #16 Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:19:10 pm by Mike8560
Pep did they say 2"? I only opened the se ondary bow to where they rested on top of a tape ran from front to back so 1" above the  main bows I would have marked for a dart. But I tried there way and it was fine seen here o. The mainsilhip top
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/Flybridge/photo-81-1.jpg
I have a question on your pockets guys I see the adjustabty. But drilling stainless for the snaps I rivit the fittings but it got to be a lain and the  cost for cobalt bit and the time drilling. 
I just mark  the bows make a pocket with zippers and zip the top on  drilling for thebsnaps has to be a pain  espiciallt in the heat with no shade from the top  yet.

fragged8

I have one of Mark Hoods binders and the way he does it
looks pretty good but i have a problem using it as the width
is imperial and i can only buy metric zippers so they just show
outside the panels.

Did you know your official measuring system approved by congress
is metric ??? it was on the radio yesterday..

Peppy

I don't know that Mr. Hood does 2"  thats what we do (1 1/2" at the least). I hate to do any less for fear of it collapsing under heavy dew. Especially with out any crown in the bars.

Drilling the bars is a chore to be sure. But worth the effort IMO. I use double ended HSS bits. About $2.50 per. One bit easily does a top, six tabs per flap, 3 flaps on a camper top. It's mostly a crayon after that although it'd still drill aluminum. I do the tabs when the top is up and just flip back the corner out of the way. I guess I've done so many I don't really think about it anymore. I call myself the Mexican drillpress.

In Canada metric is the 'official' measuring system. I'm 5'9" but I haven't the slightest clue how many cm tall I am. 700? 2000? And I'm 140lbs so thats what? 6 kilos? The only metric we use are kilometers and liters. And celsius I guess. 
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

Pep I'll never make a top with no crown and ges a top looks nice with the center bows higher but somtimes as in this case the frame was there and the bows wereev with each other.
Years back when I started k my work was patterned with the end product no plastic.
I would somtime put a snap at the end of my pocket I side to pull the top around to fit right
then I wod fit my window ect.
If you pattern you top and front window. After you fit the top if you pull it tighter with your snaps have you ever had it make the widow fit looser at this corner. You could pull the window Down to snap it but the curve might be a problem I think no?

bobbin

I "don't think" metric, but that's simply a function of lack of exposure (it's been a long time since I took Chemistry and Biochemistry).  When "metric" is introduced to school kids in the USA it's always caught up in exact conversions.  That's foolish to me, personally.  A basic comparison is all that's really necessary... a metre is about a yard, a litre is about a quart, etc..  Our number system is in "base 10"; but if you understand the meaning of "base", then base 4 or base 5 isn't that tough to master. 

Why the United States of America doesn't use the Metric system defies common sense, as does the arcane insistence that kids "get the summer off".  Our kids are such under-achievers in academics they clearly need to attend school all year long, lol.  And they need to speak/write 2 or 3 languages at a conversational level, too!!!

But enough of my thoughts on that topic. 

Mike8560

I disagree on the language   I hate that on tue phone I have to press 1 for English. Why why not press 1 for spanish. I took chineese one year I o ly remeber 2 phrases we learned k I problem don't say then correctly. Tes they probly should take them the way things  are.