Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:39:59 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Zipper Replacement

Started by Trout Creek Canvas, June 19, 2011, 06:51:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout Creek Canvas

Having a terrible time replacing a smiley in an existing panel. I get 3/4 of the way thru, and it seems the panels are not lined up anymore. I thinking it's due to the feed dogs pushing the side I'm sewing, and I'm not able to keep the other side even. Maybe not though. I've thought about sewing a piece of binding every so often to keep the two pieces lined up, then cut out when I'm finished. Anyone know if that might work or any other tips?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Mike8560

Souds lik e tour trouble first I'd make Alin
ent marks with the window laying flat  and soomething bs it there as you suggest
if I was to sew it I'd  www the outside radius of the curved zip first the tack it at the aliment mark to hold it then sew the whole length.   I can't remeber if I e er replaced a u ziiper and waxed the vinyl.  If course I'd only use a. #10 coil 

Trout Creek Canvas

Thanks for the suggestions.....after thinking about it more, I tried exactly what you suggested. Marked the glass about every 6 " and tacked just before and right after each curve. Very tight radius which made it extra hard for me. It actually turned out decent, very little pucker. I'll tuck that away, but I will Definitely charge more for that in the future! ;D

Thanks Mike!

Mike8560

Glad you got it worked out stitcher 43

baileyuph

Glad you got it worked out Stitcher 43.

I have limited experience with window zippers (antique cars, boats, and tents included). 

Mike, question about your technique:  Is it sew the zipper on one side first (outside radius) then set the other side to reference marks and sew it?  You don't separate the zipper and sew them in individually do you?

June gave a good explanation for this about a year ago, I am still searching for that post also.

Interesting stuff because my experience with rear window jeep windows verifies these things can be a challenge.

Thanks for posting Stitcher,

Doyle

Mike8560

No doyle I sew them on zippered  starting new I'd sew bolth side first the open the zip and cut the vinyl
then I would seperate the two and bi d the edges. Put it back together and trim and Finnish the shape of the whole window

Mike8560

I just did this today stitcher 43 a d thought of this thread took thenold zip off layed the window flat o the table and made reference mark then sewed the 10 coil on the outside edge streaching it around the curve then sewned the inside  gathering it a bit on the curves and mmade sure the marks lined up