Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 10:25:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What would you charge?

Started by Upholstery Clinic, June 13, 2011, 08:22:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

Quote from: mike802 on June 15, 2011, 07:41:46 am

My 5 year goal is to get the business out of my home, but with the economy the way it is that might have to be extended to a 10 year goal. >:(

you must be a youg man my 10 year goal is to semi retire  and just to what I feel like and make some boat gas  I'm working at slowing down and taking it easy latly

JuneC

I wish there was some easy method with boats, but unfortunately there isn't.  For some cushions - forward of console, for instance, you probably can.  But most are a mystery till you've done at least one of that make/model/year.  I bet you car guys run into this all the time as well.  Until you get "under the covers", you don't have a clue what to bid. 

Did a Formula 280SS recently - the helm seat alone, a single seat, took me 2 solid days to take apart and pattern.  A full week was spent on a single seat.  There were probably 40 pattern pieces.  It took 8 yards of vinyl.  Looking at it, you'd say - ah....  4 yards tops, 2 days.  NOT!!!.  I have a pic around somewhere.  I'll post it.  Ya just never know.  Sure wish customers would agree to time and materials contracts...

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

I'd lime to see that seat June it wasn't tours was it ?
You need to startet sewing more I e noticed you've need off a bit

Sounds like tour getting worked behind the deck again ;)

bobbin

I use the "notebook method" which is similar to Mike 802's.  I use a smallish spiral bound notebook and in it I make notes on the jobs I do.  I list the customer's name and phone number, the date of the app't. and directions for the project to be done.  I make my own notes as I do the work, noting the start time and the finish time.  I have been using this method for many years now and have several of those notebooks in my shop's book case.  I put the date I start the notebook on the front cover and when I've used all the pages I put the finish date on the front, too.   Several of those notebooks include specs. for jobs I've done "at work". 

It's not too difficult to go back and find good information on projects; and it's also fun to take a stroll down "Memory Lane" every so often.  It's really amazing to see the variety of work I've done over the years.  I would like to begin doing the same thing using the computer, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. 

I find my own personal notes on work to be an invaluable resource.  Even my co-workers have adopted the technique.  I have saved myself some major hassles by simply taking the time to go back and look up a job because I also note what worked well and what proved to be a time waster. 

mike802

My 5 year goal is to get the business out of my home, but with the economy the way it is that might have to be extended to a 10 year goal. Angry
you must be a youg man my 10 year goal is to semi retire  and just to what I feel like and make some boat gas  I'm working at slowing down and taking it easy latly

LOL not quit as young as I used to be Mike.  But I figure I still have a good 20 years left in me.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com