Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 05:23:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

My Boat Cover - Material To Use

Started by Saddleman, June 10, 2011, 12:39:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Saddleman

I have an old runabout that I need to do some interior work on, but before I do that I want to make a new cover for the boat.  It is stored outside so I am looking for material that will last and last.  What would you marine pros use on your own boat if the material was free.

Thanks,  Loren

Miami Mike

Well now> If it was my boat I would use WeatherMax 80. Light weight, stronger than Acrylics, Breathable, can be used as a Travel cover as well.  And yes we sell it. We also have the Vista pattern, 7.4 oz poly, stronger than Acrylics, more water tight than other woven goods, also has a back coating. Makes it 99.9% water proof, non breathable. Max 80 5 year, Vista 3 year warranty. Both are priced right as well. Now if you want to go the Acrylic way, we have the Outdura or Recacril. I'm sure you have heard of them on here. As well as Top Gun or Top Notch....

How is that>>> I look forward in hearing what the rest have to say. 90% of MY WeatherMax sales are for boat covers>>

If I can help let me know.
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

Mike8560

I would make Andover with sunbrella normay but I just tried some recacrill and  k think I might try it if there was a color I wanted of course my cover would be on and off allot
I'm getting a boat and I want to redo the t top canvas it has a nice black canvas in good shape but I'd like it to be. Turquise to match the hull  needs upholstery also 

jojo

Thanks for the Weathermax advice, Mike. I will be giving you a call soon. Just curious, why do the reds cost so much more than the other colors?

Saddleman

Quote from: jojo on June 11, 2011, 05:03:36 am
Just curious, why do the reds cost so much more than the other colors?

The pigments used for red are more expensive.  Seems to be universial for paint, plastics....fabric...etc.

Mojo

I believe the red pigments run $ 2  more for Recacril. Anything made with red pigments will have a slightly higher price. You should see the price boost for red automotive paints. Yikes......

I believe that Yellow is also higher priced in automotive finishes but not sure.

Chris

fragged8

i'm always doubtful of price hikes for different pigmented materials.

when i worked in plastics our company used to hike the price
for plastic components made with no pigment at all. their pitch
to the customers was that it took more to make colourless
components as they wouldn't release from the mould as easily.

Total BS, there was no difference in moulding times and they
got a double hit of no pigment costs and extra cash for the job.

Rich

Peppy

I took a dyeing class in art school and from what I can remember red and black are hard colours to dye. This mostly applies to natural fibres not sure about acyrics. But the only natural red dyes come from a clam (clam tears?) and a little bug that grows on cactus (cocheneal sp?) It was a big deal when they found that bug. For the Brits anyway, they liked it so much they dyed thier coats with it. But for all I know nowadays it's just a cash grab based on historical precedents.

As for boat canvas, I've used sunbrella on my boats and liked it fine but I do think it's getting cheezier. Seems to me sunbrella would rather sell you a bottle of 303 than make a long term water repelent fabric. My latest tarp is Tempotest but I have no opinion of it yet. I like the sounds of recacil and weather max but have used niether. If I trailered my boat lots or parked it under trees I'd use something like topgun. 

Wait, maybe clam tears make purple?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

jsquail

I gotta say Mike has covered the Gambit.  Out of what Mike suggested I would look for a breathable cover.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Miami Mike

Thanks for the Weathermax advice, Mike. I will be giving you a call soon. Just curious, why do the reds cost so much more than the other colors?

REDS, PURPLES, YELLOWS COST MORE BECAUSE THEY (The Mill) has to add more UV and protectants , so it holds up longer. All fabric in these colors cost more. Every Mill>>>>
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

jsquail

Quote from: Miami Mike on June 13, 2011, 06:23:54 am

REDS, PURPLES, YELLOWS COST MORE BECAUSE THEY (The Mill) has to add more UV and protectants , so it holds up longer. All fabric in these colors cost more. Every Mill>>>>

Makes good sense to me. Look at cars on the road, those colored cars fade the fastest.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

regalman190

If it's a cockpit cover or bow cover, I've been using Recacril. Doesn't stretch as much as Sunbrella.
Regal Canvas

Mike8560

I've got a cocpit cover on a 30' formulA  soon and will be using recacrill