Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 12:27:58 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A little tool I couldn't do without

Started by Mike8560, June 08, 2011, 05:27:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

June 08, 2011, 05:27:25 pm Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:32:54 pm by Mike8560
IT's just a old seamripper that broke the the ballt tip off  
Here I'm use it  to fold my chain zipper on the inside turn of a u zipper
I use it all the time to pull my bobbin thread up after the needle catches it
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/photo-127.jpg
I've had that same tool more then 10 years with velcro on it to hold it on top of my machine
here's the u zipper  and that is the plastit patter under the window I sew it in place to protect the vinyl.  And tear it off after
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/photo2-63.jpg

JuneC

I've got probably 3 of those and use them for the same things - pulling the top thread out from under the presser foot after threading.  Another great tool is my little Craftsman needle-nose pliers.  They make pulling out staples (from having stapled canvas or vinyl together, not pulling staples from wood) MUCH easier than a traditional office staple puller.  I staple a lot of pieces before sewing - especially stretchy vinyls.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

June 09, 2011, 12:49:14 am #2 Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:55:57 am by Grebo
Good thread.  ;D  Mike

My tool belt thingy.
Little snips, I just can't work if I don't know where they are  ???
Screw driver for flipping tag on bobbin case, flipping up case, catching threads & pulling out staples when sewing.
Awl / spike for the pushing prodding material under the needle & marking fittings when patterning.
Cloth marking pencils, blue, white & 1 normal pencil. Pens for marking pattern plastic.
Brilliant little 6" rule, which has inches, cm & angles marked on it. ( come out of my Dads shed when I had to clear it )
Craft knife for speed unpicking.  ;D

Cheap shears for snipping off any thing & everything. Keep decent scissors to one side so I have to choose the right ones.  ::) & not bugger them all up at the same time   :-X

Suzi

Mike8560

Oh ya suzi I also flip the bobbin case open and lift the bobbin out with it.