Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:36:38 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Grommets again

Started by MinUph, May 27, 2011, 06:25:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

OK I did a search for grommets and found a wealth of information. Now I need a simple bit of the same.
 I use a Press and Snap tool that originally came with a grommet die set. I only have a few grommets left and need to buy some. The brass grommets I have are a #2 with a 3/8" hole and a 1/4" long shaft. I have found these to work in anything I have used prior. Vinyl 1,2 or 3 layers, canvas 1,2 or 3 layers. These have a regular ring not the piercing type. In reading all the information I am confused in which to get. And which ones will be like the ones I have so they work in my tool and die set.
I have to set 60 or so of these so I don't want to do it more than needed. Or worse yet spoil the top I'm making for a customer. Heavy weight Sunbrella.
 I also gather from reading here there is no way to punch and set in one fell swoop :-) I have the cutter so I guess I will punch and then set :( how barbaric
 Thanks guys and gals.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

I have a be ch press I used to be able to get selfpiercing grometts tha t cut the hole at the same ime but last I tried them the really didn't cut the hole and therefore didn't crimp properly probly cheap metal like some lousesnap o had that kept comming apart

scarab29

I bought some self piercing grommets from Manart and he recommended I buy their die for my press n snap. I use their die set and their grommets through 3 layers of sunbrella and also through 1 layer of sunbrella and webbong on some tops. I have just had to get the hang of making sure the grommet is centered before setting and It works very well. Every few when going through webbing it may not cut the webbbing out perfectly so i hit it with my hot knife and that cleans it all up. Love to find a better way but this works for me.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Can-Vas

Yeah well you've hit on one of my pet-peeves too.  Different grommets don't work with different tools - have to make sure that if you're using Osborne grommets your toolk works with it, etc....... 
and then there is the self-piercing thing...   hardly ever works cleanly over several layers.
I use a bench press tool but still have to punch holes first to make sure of a clean installation.
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

jsquail

Quote from: scarab29 on May 31, 2011, 06:40:19 am
I bought some self piercing grommets from Manart and he recommended I buy their die for my press n snap. I use their die set and their grommets through 3 layers of sunbrella and also through 1 layer of sunbrella and webbong on some tops. I have just had to get the hang of making sure the grommet is centered before setting and It works very well. Every few when going through webbing it may not cut the webbbing out perfectly so i hit it with my hot knife and that cleans it all up. Love to find a better way but this works for me.

I have done the same, except it was one layer of Seamark and one layer of seaquest. Those self piercers on the pres n snap worked like a champ. I am also looking at getting a bench top for future top jobs.

Stimpson bechtop located here:

http://www.buygrommets.com/buygrommets/stimpson_grommet_machine-pagename-Stimpson%20Grommet%20Machine.html

Manart sells the stimpson too, so i would think the self peircing they sell will also work with it.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

trimmerkenny

I have a bench setter from Fasnap. If I can afford it I'll get the #2 self piercing stainless steel ones. Really strong. Goes through my t tops no problem. Regular nickel ones are a little hit and miss though.

MinUph

Well i ordered standard #2 Brass grommets for this job. It will be 3 layers of sunbrella. I will do the old punch and set routine that I'm use to. For the amount of grommets I do I don't want to change tooling. My punch and the press and snap set these very well.
  Thanks for the options though.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website