Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:25:45 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fun with solicitors

Started by kodydog, May 18, 2011, 09:59:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Whenever a solicitor calls me I like to end the conversation with, no thank you but do you need any reupholstery done. This is usually followed by a pause and when they say no I go for the hard sell and ask surely there's something in your house that needs to be redone, I have a beautiful line of fabrics and I have a list of outstanding references. When they say, but sir I live in Timbuktu, I say I guess I cant help you and hang up the phone.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

ajlelectronics

I had to think about that for a bit. Over here in the Mother country, a solicitor is a legal professional (apart from the scumbag ambulance chasing parasites) like your lawyers. So I was interested to see what fun you were having. :-)

wenaLIZZ

That is great! Really love the work you put in there.

scottymc

Quote from: ajlelectronics on May 18, 2011, 10:20:54 am
I had to think about that for a bit. Over here in the Mother country, a solicitor is a legal professional (apart from the scumbag ambulance chasing parasites) like your lawyers. So I was interested to see what fun you were having. :-)

Yeah it took awhile for the penny to drop for me to. In Australia and I expect Britain, it is against the law to solicit as to be charged with soliciting means  prostitution.

sofadoc

Quote from: wenaLIZZ on May 18, 2011, 04:11:06 pm
That is great! Really love the work you put in there.

C'mon Wena, just hit us with your spam and be done with it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on May 18, 2011, 06:01:52 pm
C'mon Wena, just hit us with your spam and be done with it.

That,s the second time I saw you do that. Whats going on Sofadoc. You know something I don't.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on May 18, 2011, 06:06:24 pm
That,s the second time I saw you do that. Whats going on Sofadoc. You know something I don't.

I just assume that we're being set up for a big spamification when they post a generic statement.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Peppy

Quote from: sofadoc on May 18, 2011, 07:15:29 pm
I just assume that we're being set up for a big spamification when they post a generic statement.

I think it has something to do with their email address in their profile. Maybe these guys click on the links the other guys leave and that validates both of them in Googles mind? My guess anywoo.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike8560

Quote from: ajlelectronics on May 18, 2011, 10:20:54 am
scumbag ambulance chasing parasites) like your lawyers.

I thought  they were barristers ?

ajlelectronics

No, the parasites are just solicitors with even less moral fibre than the rest of them. They are directly responsible for the nanny state we now live in, where all freedoms and traditions are being lost in the name of Elfin Safety. We are slowly turning into the USA in that regard where someone is always looking for an excuse to sue for damages. Reports today tell of a schoolchild who successfully sued their school because some custard was spilt on them. I would have spilt the little git's blood!

I believe that a barrister is a much more upmarket legal professional and possibly more worthy of respect. Except for Phoney Bliar and his witch that is. :-)

bobbin

Wow, aj., I get very hostile vibes from you on the topic of the "law".   :'(

In the USA we call representatives of the law, "lawyers"or "attorneys".  But every "lawyer" has a specialized focus under the legal umbrella.  Prosecutors bring cases and uphold/challenge the established  law, while Defense attorneys represent the accused in the court procedings.  Some attorneys specialize in contract law, or estate law, others in legal trusts and the majority of their work never sees the inside of courtroom. 

Every one seems to loathe lawyers until they need one, lol.  Everyone seems to "know better", but I know several accomplished lawyers and they have my undying respect because rather than simply talking about law they actually practice it!  I thoroughly enjoy my conversations with them and always come away with a deeper understanding of the system of laws in the United States of America.  Our system of law is based on that of England.  I agree that we live in society that wastes entirely too much of the court's time on foolishness, but the right of a victim to sue must be respected and protected.  One can only hope "good sense" will prevail.   :'(

I understand that under English law legal representatives are classified into more distinctive groups?  What, pray, is the difference between a "solicitor" and a "barrister"? if you are accused of a crime who represents you? who brings the case against you? a "solicitor" or a "barrister"?

ajlelectronics

Quote from: bobbin on May 19, 2011, 04:41:54 pm
Wow, aj., I get very hostile vibes from you on the topic of the "law".   :'(

Quite the reverse. I have utmost respect for the law and for legal professionals as a whole. I have zero respect for the new breed of solicitors who patrol the Accident and Emergency departments and make constant junk calls to see if you might have had a splinter in your finger in 2008. We are now also the "whiplash capitol" of the world for fraudulent claims after sometimes staged road accidents. We have an employee who went out on a job and totally ignored all his safety training, common sense and his safety equipment. He decided for reasons best known to himself to ascend a ladder (somebody else's ladder) without his harness, with both hands full of materials and without holding on. He also decided to go against company rules and wear soft trainer shoes. Surprisingly enough he fell off and got an injured ankle. This scumbag is now trying to sue US for HIS NEGLIGENCE.

In the USA we call representatives of the law, "lawyers"or "attorneys".  But every "lawyer" has a specialized focus under the legal umbrella.  Prosecutors bring cases and uphold/challenge the established  law, while Defense attorneys represent the accused in the court procedings.  Some attorneys specialize in contract law, or estate law, others in legal trusts and the majority of their work never sees the inside of courtroom. 

We do have solicitors that spee in different aspects in the same way. I think they need to spee due to the complexities involved.

Every one seems to loathe lawyers until they need one, lol.  Everyone seems to "know better", but I know several accomplished lawyers and they have my undying respect because rather than simply talking about law they actually practice it!  I thoroughly enjoy my conversations with them and always come away with a deeper understanding of the system of laws in the United States of America.  Our system of law is based on that of England.  I agree that we live in society that wastes entirely too much of the court's time on foolishness, but the right of a victim to sue must be respected and protected.  One can only hope "good sense" will prevail.   :'(

I too know many legal professionals. One in fact I was just chatting to yesterday is a High Court Judge, responsible for criminal cases right up to the most serious. A nicer and more well balanced chap you couldn't hope to meet.

Without exception, all the other legal professionals prior to the last couple of years have been decent, honest and full of ethics.  I think the example that started the decline was the antics of Phoney Bliar and the Wicked Witch, who really proved how it was possible to be.

I understand that under English law legal representatives are classified into more distinctive groups?  What, pray, is the difference between a "solicitor" and a "barrister"? if you are accused of a crime who represents you? who brings the case against you? a "solicitor" or a "barrister"?

I really do not know the answers to those questions with any certainty. My belief is that a solicitor is the lower range of the profession, a barrister is someone who has "been around the block" and has higher qualifications.

When charged with a criminal offence, it used to be the Police that did that. Then the "bleeding hearts brigade" decided that there were too many being charged, so the "CPS Criminal Prosecution Service" was invented. They now get a file from the Police and it is they who decide to prosecute or not. (Usually not).
Once charged, the prosecution appoints a solicitor and the defendant usually appoints one of their own. In the most serious cases, I believe that these roles would be handled by barristers.

I think my main beef is the way that the law is brought into disrepute by the low lifes described above. So many of the things we have enjoyed are no longer possible due to the fear of being unfairly sued because it is so easy and cost free to the scammer.  Many events are no longer possible. Traditional events like our Cheese Rolling have gone by the wayside, because of it. Children's playgrounds are being ripped up, hanging baskets taken down, rows of mature trees being felled, all due to this nonsense.

Insurance premiums are rocketing as a result. I have had a 50% load on my already expensive liability insurance, because of the above unjustified claim.

ajlelectronics

The word "SPEE" is correctly spelt in the text as "S P E C I A L I S E" but for some reason, it will not display that word!

Could someone else try that perhaps?

Mojo

From Wikipedia:

A barrister is a member of one of the two classes of lawyer found in many common law jurisdictions with split legal professions. Barristers spee in courtroom advocacy, drafting legal pleadings and giving expert legal opinions. They can be contrasted with solicitors -- the other class of lawyer in split professions -- who have more direct access with clients and who are in general office based. Barristers are rarely hired by clients directly but instead are retained (or instructed) by solicitors to act on behalf of clients.
The historical difference between the two professions--and the only essential difference in England and Wales today--is that a solicitor is an attorney, which means they can act in the place of their client for legal purposes (as in signing contracts) and may conduct litigation on their behalf by making applications to the court, writing letters in litigation to the client's opponent and so on. A barrister is not an attorney and is usually forbidden, either by law or professional rules or both, from "conducting" litigation. This means that while the barrister speaks on the client's behalf in court, he or she can only do so when instructed by a solicitor or certain other qualified professional clients, such as patent agents.

I agree with Bobbin. We all hate lawyers but when the crap hits the fan they are the first we threaten others with " I am going to call my lawyer ".

Like any profession, there are good ones and bad ones. I despise the ambulance chasers but respect the others who professionally uphold their profession.

Chris

bobbin

Plenty of "ambulance chasers" here, too, AJ!  But they, too, have their place in the whole scheme of things.  We can only hope that common sense and the law itself will sift out the frivolous suits, but that's not always the case.  Sadly.   

One of my best friends was a state prosecutor for several years.  I watched her prepare and present murder cases; often she would practice her opening and closing arguements at our dinner table so she had the phrasing, eye contact, and content down pat before she had to do it "for real".  She is presently a prosecutor for the United States Dep't. of Justice and specializes in environmental law.   Blows me away that she is so consummately talented, she used to crash at our home when she was a stressed out law student.  She received the letter that she'd passed the Bar exam while living in "her" room at our home.  Our "daughter" the lawyer!