Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 10:31:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Injuries

Started by Kathy0701, May 17, 2011, 08:29:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathy0701

I sprained my knee. It really hurts!  I've got it braced, but we are just getting into our busy season and I can hardly walk without the brace. It got me to thinking - does anyone worry about being one injury away from getting knocked out of business? 

I have no one to pick up and do my work. I'm limping along, but with the pain and noise this joint is making, I'm starting to worry about surgery and rehab and stuff...

sofadoc

Quote from: Kathy0701 on May 17, 2011, 08:29:55 pm
It got me to thinking - does anyone worry about being one injury away from getting knocked out of business?

Yup! I think about it all the time. I think about it even more when I see friends (who sit behind a desk all day) having surgeries. I have a friend who has never done any physical work in her life, that wears a neck brace. What if she had to lug a sofa up a staircase?
Sure, my Doctor will write me a note excusing me from work. But who am I gonna give it to?
Take care of that knee, Kathy.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

take care 
I had a stroke

seamsperfect

I get gout flair ups from time to time, no sewing when that happens.  Always seems to hit my right ankle.  I just sit on the floor and cut out materials.
I know I need to stay away from steak and seafood but I just love it too much..........
Kevin

fragged8

i have bad knees and steel in my legs from various
things like motorbike accidents, and have bee thinking
recently about taking out some insurance against
falling i'll .

Rich

gene

I'm concerned about hurting my back with all the lifting.

I was carrying a headboard up some steps 2 weeks ago. My helper asked me later why I was taking so long on the steps. I told him my knees just weren't working. No pain. They just wouldn't work. That king sized headboard was very heavy.

gene

PS: I had some folks over for dinner awhile back. One guy was on permanent disability: he coughed and threw out his back. Another guy had knee surgery. He said he was just getting up from a chair and something popped in his knee. I said, "Hey guys, remember when we used to get hurt because the water was too shallow in that creek when we jumped off the cliff? Or we fell off our motorcycles while standing on the seat going down the road? Now we get hurt by coughing and getting up from a chair!

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

May 18, 2011, 06:25:38 am #6 Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:40:24 am by kodydog
I know the feeling Kathy. Usually you just work through the pain. There have been several times in my life where I've been out of work for several weeks but nothing so bad as to put me out of business.

I've got a friend who was in the construction business all his life. He got a disease similar to Parkensons. He gets medical disability (SS). Between that and his wife's job they do all right.

Over the years we've managed to put some money into a CD for emergency fund. We'll dip into that next week when my wife gets surgery for skin cancer.

There's nothing worse than laying on your back, sick with the flu, and thinking I promised those people their sofa would be done tomorrow.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

crammage

This is one of the reasons I buy accident insurance.  The medical insurance pays the medical bills but the accident insurance helps with extra money to cover bills and stuff while your not working.  It's not very expensive, I pay around $35 for family coverage.  My wife and daughter are also under the plan.

I agree with Kodydog that not completing by the deadlines you gave the customer are what bother you the most.  A month ago my wife was in the hospital for some unknown ailment and it put me behind on two wingback chairs.  Fortunately the customer was very understanding but I just kept feeling guilty for not completing them when I said I would.

clay

SteveMoke

I had a heart attack (5) a couple of weeks ago so I threw a cover over the machine locked the workshop when I got out of coronary care and have been chillin, catching up on a lot of reading and sleeping  :o

bobbin

I whacked my lower back out of line by overdoing the gardening last Saturday.  And then ignored the warning signs and continued to crank out the work in my own shop.  I spent Sunday and Monday hauling 96" drapery panels and heavy blackout lining around, before my back finally "spazzed out" late Monday afternoon.  Couldn't put my socks on Tuesday morning;  visited the chiropractor later that same day and am now doing back stretches and applying cold packs to it periodically.  I'm way better today, but can still feel a tender spot and have spent a lot of time thinking about how to "work smarter". 

Sucks when you hurt and the work still has to be done!

fragged8

hehehe  it's starting to feel like a doctors waiting room in here   ;D

Rich

CKKC

All I can say is that you all and KodyDogs wife are in my prayers to get well!   

gene

Do any of you do anything for your hands? I think someone said awhile back that they use hot wax treatment for their hands. I've been thinking of getting that to see if they help mine.

I hope things go well with your wife, Kodydog.

Mojo, as I was reading these posts I swear I was able to smell the BENGAY.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Thanks for your well wishes all. She has a bean size sore on her nose and had a biopsy. came back cancerous. Were hoping its a simple operation.

Gene, as for the wax therapy. Her doctor let her borrow his hot wax tub and she loved it. Really made her tired sore hands feel better. She's going to get one.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

scottymc

Quote from: SteveMoke on May 18, 2011, 12:18:24 pm
I had a heart attack (5) a couple of weeks ago so I threw a cover over the machine locked the workshop when I got out of coronary care and have been chillin, catching up on a lot of reading and sleeping  :o

Steve , I had 4 heart attacks 10 years ago , your doing the right thing, baby steps mate and you should be all good.