Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 03:49:27 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bobbin winding

Started by Mike8560, May 17, 2011, 02:56:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

I almost always use prewound bobbins unless the jog pays for tenara and u wind bobinn.  Now I have just wound a bunch up and I guide the thread with my fingers back n  forth like I levelwindin a fishing reel. O my thread holder with has 2 spots I have one black and one white
for thoose of you who wind bobbins as you sew do you just have the thread come Dow. A d wi d o. The bobbin anyole way till it clicks off? 

kodydog

Quote from: Mike8560 on May 17, 2011, 02:56:16 pm
for thoose of you who wind bobbins as you sew do you just have the thread come Dow. A d wi d o. The bobbin anyole way till it clicks off? 

That's how I've always done it on machines with bobbin winders. I assume you have the little doohicky that puts tension on the thread. The thread will move back and fourth by it self.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

fragged8

May 17, 2011, 04:27:10 pm #2 Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:32:00 pm by fragged8
same here mike , mine just does its thing on the machine..

but if anyone in the US orders one of these I'd like one too :-)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EASY-WINDER-BOBBIN-WINDER-A-Portable-Winder-/130519639923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6393a773

rich

Joys Shop

I have one of those little bobbin winders
It is very useful when I have to change thread, and I don't have any bobbins wound with that color
Normally I wind the bobbins as I sew with the bobbin winder that is part of the machine table

Mojo

I just sat down and had a bobbin party. I was bit disappointed none of you showed up. :)

But typically I will wind dozens of bobbins at one time when I am not busy doing something else and have some free time.

I hate to sound like an idiot here but I have never wound a bobbin while sewing. Do you have to have two spools of the same thread to do this or is there some other way you accomplish this ?

Since I got into upholstery I have never wound and sewed at the same time. I preferred to sit down and wind dozens of bobbins at one time. So how is this sewing and winding all done at one time ?

Chris

MinUph

Yes Chris you need two spools. One is dedicated to bobbins and one for the needle. As you sew you wind. When you need a bobbin it is ready for you. Much easier than winding parties. Unless there are other draws to these parties. How come I didn't get an invite anyway.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

I probably sound like a partial idiot. For the first two years I was sewing, I would stop my sewing and completely wind a new bobbin. I don't know why, probably that half of me that is not an idiot, I got this great idea to start the bobbin, and then let the machine wind it AS I WAS SEWING!

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Guess I will have more winding parties then Paul. I just bought a new spool of Solarfix clear.......$ 160. I sure as hell wont be buying a second spool just for bobbins....:) My Sunguard is $ 30 bucks and I doubt I will buy a second spool for that either.

Consider yourself invited to the next party Paul. Why don't we hold it at Hooters ? :)

Chris

Peppy

It always makes me cringe to hear someone run the machine 'empty' just to wind a bobbin. So rattle-y and jarring sounding. I guess it doesn't matter to the machine but it seems wrong to me to run it just to wind a bobbin. Wouldn't it age the machine faster? You're running it twice as much but getting half the sewing, no?

Quote from: Mojo on May 17, 2011, 07:03:42 pm
$ 160. I sure as hell wont be buying a second spool just for bobbins....:)

But it's $160 now or $160 later isn't it? I mean your going to use one spool up twice as fast as you would two spools. At the end of the year you'll have bought the same amount of thread if you buy 2 spools or 1. But you'll have saved all the time (and wear and tear?) you spent winding bobbins at your jamboree. Although this jamboree does sound like a rockin' good time...
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

sofadoc

Did ya hear the one about the blonde upholsterer, who brought "pre-wounds" to a bobbin winding party? :D
Quote from: Peppy on May 17, 2011, 07:24:38 pm
It always makes me cringe to hear someone run the machine 'empty' just to wind a bobbin. So rattle-y and jarring sounding. I guess it doesn't matter to the machine but it seems wrong to me to run it just to wind a bobbin. Wouldn't it age the machine faster? You're running it twice as much but getting half the sewing, no?

When I'm running the machine empty while winding bobbins, I squirt a little SM oil around the bobbin case. It quiets that clanky sound.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

Miami onky had 1lb tubes.
ManArt had 8 oz at $60   I don't think Miami has prewound "g" bobbins   

Grebo

May 18, 2011, 12:47:34 am #11 Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:49:59 am by Grebo
I sew & wind all the time, yes I have at least 2 cones of each colour,  they get used one way or the other.
Richard I have one of those winder things, bought it because I had a domestic machine that didn't like doing bobbins. I just checked & the bigger ones fit as well.
 Jaycotts have them.

Suzi

fragged8

hehe  you love that site  now :-)

i'll look at it,,

I'm the same as Peppy I hate the machine running empty just
wind bobbins, normally i wind as i sew on the machine but i've been using tenara
lately and i'm not buying 2 reels at a time of that stuff..

when i have to have a winding session i make a circle of fabric and run that through
letting it loop round and round. that way i don't have to hammer the machine
in reverse then forward then reverse etc..

ajlelectronics

I just wind a different colour whilst sewing. Then when I change colour, I put the other one back on the winder. The only issue I have is that you have to wind two layers of thread by hand, otherwise it will not grip and load the bobbin. I have the trip set so that it drops out before it is as big as the bobbin cheeks. It does give you a bit of a start when it drops out though!

fragged8

you might find that if you wind 4 turns forwards then 4 turns in reverse with the
feed end of the thread that will do the trick.

I have to do that on my singer zig zag but my juki I can just
wind on 4 turns and it holds fine. the Juki has the winder on the front of
the machine but i don't know if that makes a difference.

Rich