Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 03:49:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hot Tub Cover

Started by Highvelocity, May 16, 2011, 12:11:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Highvelocity

Has anyone ever done a hot tub cover??  I did one over the weekend and it came out good...  A couple of things though,,,alignment marks are crucial, and remember to sew the skirt between the box and the bottom plate.  And use a single zipper on each half.  I went by pictures I saw online.

I spent about $220 on material and had a solid eight hours into it.  Retail for similiar quality and material $650.  All in all it wasn't a bad job to do if you wanted to give it a try. 

Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Mike8560

Ive had people ask to do them. I qwaly tell peoe if they can buy it made it's probly less expensive   
I hate trying to sew theb hindge flap 

Highvelocity

Mike,
     This one was for my brother and he wanted it in 2 pieces.  So I made a flap for one side to cover the break in the middle, then put a couple of snaps on each each end to hold the flap down.  I could see where a permanent joint mybe a pain though.

seamsperfect

Quote from: Highvelocity on May 16, 2011, 12:11:59 pm
Has anyone ever done a hot tub cover??  I did one over the weekend and it came out good...  A couple of things though,,,alignment marks are crucial, and remember to sew the skirt between the box and the bottom plate.  And use a single zipper on each half.  I went by pictures I saw online.

I spent about $220 on material and had a solid eight hours into it.  Retail for similiar quality and material $650.  All in all it wasn't a bad job to do if you wanted to give it a try.

Good job about 6 years ago I looked into sewing a new one for mine  and after  thinking about it I had one shipped to me to my specs for $350.00
My time was better spent on customer projects.
Kevin

Highvelocity

Yeah...$350 is a good deal.  For what he wanted he was looking at $650...Premium foam, marine vinyl and and vacuum sealed...etc.  Plus now with the price of petroleum products...forget it.

seamsperfect

Quote from: Highvelocity on May 16, 2011, 02:43:01 pm
Yeah...$350 is a good deal.  For what he wanted he was looking at $650...Premium foam, marine vinyl and and vacuum sealed...etc.  Plus now with the price of petroleum products...forget it.

Mine is pretty nice plus it was 6-7 years ago.  Still holding up and doing well.
Kevin

SHHR

I recovered one before that had decent styrofoam and braces that I could use over and the customer was happy with it. I did get asked to quote building them from scratch for a pool company I do some repairs for and after the quote we both decided it would be best for him to keep ordering them pre-made for the tubs he sell new.
Kyle

MinUph

Ive wanted to make a new one for our tub but haven't been able to find a place to get the tapered foam.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

stitcher_guy

I've repaired a bunch of them, usually the straps get  yanked out in a high wind. One of them just used folded over vinyl for the straps. I put nylon strapping back in place.
I have made a couple from scratch, but these were for older tubs that the factory covers were no longer available. They aren't economical from a standard build point. Not too hard to do, but they do require work.

Mike8560

Quote from: MinUph on May 16, 2011, 06:07:15 pm
Ive wanted to make a new one for our tub but haven't been able to find a place to get the tapered foam.

my last ond didn't have tapered foam. Just flat about 3" or 4".
I've got to get a new tib at my new pla e here.

MinUph

Mike mine does and I'd like it to more of a taper to let water run off quickly. It is outside. I'd like something like a 5" to 3" taper. Cant seem to get it. Even my foam suppliers supplier can't or won't cut the taper for me.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Paul"

I maybe wrong but it seems there is a hot tub manufacturer located in Tampa. I seem to remember someone saying they bought their foam from them already tapered then recovered it.

I could be wrong. Strange crap happens to mens brains as they get older. :)

Chris

Peppy

We repair these things all the time. Hate them hate them hate them. If I had a hot tub I'd make mine out of plywood or something. And get (or make) one of these jobbies-

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Cover-Lifts-C49.aspx
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

dmayo

Highvelocity

I have to agree with Stitcher Guy,,,these things eat some time up, not sure about profit margine... 

I would not even think about trying to make a living with it unless you specificaclly tooled for it.