Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 04, 2024, 12:47:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Loose Presser Foot Problem on Juki 563

Started by Calzone, May 12, 2011, 06:16:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calzone

Hello. I'm new to the community. I have a question I hope someone can answer.

Recently I bought a used Juki 563 walking foot. The woman who sold it to me included several presser feet to go with it.

The inner toes? feet? are perpetually loose. 

They fall off the presser foot bar. It doesn't matter how hard I try tightening the screw, that inner foot slips off. It's so frustrating.  >:(

I drove to an industrial sewing machine company and bought a new foot. Told them about the problems I'd been having. The owner said it's all hit or miss with the presser feet; some stay tight/others don't. (Seems a heck of a way to make something.) Anyway, I got it home, same thing's happening.

Any ideas why? Is the foot hole too big? Is the bar too small?  Any recommendations of a reputable industrial sewing machine company that can show me/sell me a foot that stays on?

sofadoc

Quote from: Calzone on May 12, 2011, 06:16:50 pm
The owner said it's all hit or miss with the presser feet; some stay tight/others don't.

That's a load of crap! I've sewed on several machines with the same exact foot as the one on the 563 for over 30 years. Never even once had the foot fall off.
I would have guessed that the threads on the screw are stripped, but you said that you bought new feet.
Our resident expert, Gregg (Keystone Sewing) will probably see this post soon, and offer some insight as to what the problem might be.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Calzone

I thought it sounded like a load of crap, too.

So I asked the guy could I bring the foot back and get a refund if for some reason it wouldn't stay tight like the others.

This company sold the machine and feet to the woman who sold to me.

Is there more than one manufacturer of Singer/Juki presser feet? If so, I'd like to try another "brand". Is it possible the presser feet aren't machined to spec? 

hidebound

I suspect there are many different manufacturers of presser feet. Rather than a different "brand" maybe you would want to consider a knowledgeable and helpful dealer such as Gregg from Keystone. They have a web site listed under the suppliers tab above. Also several regulars here deal with Bob Kovar from Toledo machine. If mojo sees this he might post with his #.

Calzone

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

The inside foot 'C clamp' is opened too wide, you can potentially tighten the screw hand tight, and have it still not clamp onto and tighten the round presser bar shank.

A fix for this is to remove the foot, remove the screw, and put the foot into a vice and close the 'C' of the foot, so that when you put it onto the shaft it is snug, but not tight, just enough so that it does not slide off the shaft under its own weight.  Reinstall the screw, tighten, and you should be in business. 

I don't know who made or sold the foot, and as you can imagine it's quite possible we can crack the foot and break it by clamping it in a vise like that, but what the heck, it's not like it works without trying to fix it anyways. 

Good luck, hope this helps.

gene

Hey Gregg,

Thanks for the info, and all the info you deposit into our brains on this forum.

I'm wondering for future events, if need be: Would heating that foot before clamping it make a difference? I keep thinking that those things are like pot metal, you know, the stuff those old metal toy cars were made of. Probably without the lead content. I easily broke a zipper foot once trying to bend it.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Calzone

Yes! That may work. There's a slight space in the C clamp that doesn't close down upon screwing the foot onto the bar. I WILL try this fix. THANK you! :-*

Mojo

Gene the presser feet I have seen, from factory feet to after market feet all contain some pretty crappy metal.

Your suggestion of heating them first is probably a good suggestion. I broke one a month ago trying to bend it just a touch. It snapped right off.

If I have to bend one again I will surely heat it first. I wish someone would manufacture a high quality first class foot that is exact. Everything that is out there is junk it seems.

Chris

Calzone

We had success tightening one.

Different feet are made of different metals? There's definitely a different "springiness" quotient to each.

For instance, tried and tried to clamp the first one. It sprung back. Eventually it tightened, but only a hair's width.

So the next one, clamped full force and now it's too tight. Lots of trial and error. Each foot behaves differently.

Adding heat to the equation would increase possible outcomes?

BigJohn

there are a lot of feet on the market that wouldn't even qualify as good land fill! I've had some real bad experiences with "import knock offs" for my 1245 Pfaff that don't fit on or the two pieces don't fit on and work together as they interfere with each other. Both Gregg and Bob Kovar sell product that they have experience with and stand behind, that's not to say any body can't get a bad product but for the most part good products come from good honest merchants!
                                             Big John

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: BigJohn on May 14, 2011, 08:26:26 am
there are a lot of feet on the market that wouldn't even qualify as good land fill! I've had some real bad experiences with "import knock offs" for my 1245 Pfaff that don't fit on or the two pieces don't fit on and work together as they interfere with each other. Both Gregg and Bob Kovar sell product that they have experience with and stand behind, that's not to say any body can't get a bad product but for the most part good products come from good honest merchants!
                                             Big John

Big John,

Thanks for the kind words, and not to mention that we do make sure to get it right.  If parts you paid for don't work, we make sure to find ones that will.  That's the 'service' that some people leave out of the equation when buying. 

As for heating the feet, YES, in some cases, breaking out the heat torch would help prevent the parts from cracking as we bend em, but these parts are really small and hard to place the heat where it needs to be, in this case.

Mojo

Greg:

I am curious, are you selling factory feet or are you selling after market feet ?

I have both and they are both a crap shoot.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

May 18, 2011, 07:40:22 am #13 Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:45:51 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: Mojo on May 16, 2011, 08:03:52 am
Greg:

I am curious, are you selling factory feet or are you selling after market feet ?

I have both and they are both a crap shoot.

Chris

Chris,

I offer both generic and genuine presser feet.  

That said, it's more common for folks to purchase generic feet, as most customers are price based, and genuine Juki, Pfaff, Durkopp Adler feet or the such are priced high.

As far as 'presser feet being a crap shoot', I listen and pay very close attention to the concerns and perceptions people have here about generic parts of any type.  This is one of the reasons I frequent here.  I want to know what people think about products I sell.  

I can't speak for other suppliers, but I have to believe the negitive thoughts and feelings people have about generic parts stems from lack of  service and support.  I don't hit a home run with everything I sell every time, but I do make sure the customer (and myself) are not wasting time and money in the end.  

All that said, if an item I sell does not work for the the way it's intened, I exchange it for one that does.  And guess what...I don't want crappy junk that doesn't work either; It goes back to my supplier for an exchange or return for credit.  Then we find what works.

We work with reputable domestic suppliers who stand behind thier products.  When people are bringing in parts and equipment direct, what the get is what they have, and that's what they sell.  They can make a more money doing this this way, quality can be spotty and inconsistant.  If it works well or not at all, that's what they are stuck selling.

So, Chris, when I see a lot of folks on here and other MBs discussing things that work or don't, I always wonder to myself, OK, so where did they obtian the item, and what are they doing for them?  I guess I am starting to see a pattern here!

Mojo

I was just curious Greg and I appreciate your response. In the end that is all any of us ask for is for the dealer/supplier such as yourself, Bob, Miami Mike or whomever to make it right when something we buy from you doesn't work.

A couple weeks ago I placed an order with Miami Mike. We got our communications screwed up between us and he shipped the wrong stuff. He more then made up for it and took good care of me. This is why I now source all of my hardware and fabrics through Mike. I know that if I have a problem he will be there to take care of it for me. The same goes for Bob. If I have a problem I know he is a phone call away and will take care of any issues I have. Heck I broke a part on my new machine ( due to my stupidity and he sent me a replacement part for free, even knowing I broke it. :)

The vast majority of industries ( including upholstery ) in this country are filled with stiff competition and what separates the good and the bad is customer service. I can order a widget from 25 different suppliers for about the same price but I always go with the company that provides the best customer support.

If you look at my warranty thread you will see many of the stitchers work the same way - they make things right for the customer. I guess in the end many of us expect the same thing in return when dealing with our suppliers. Thankfully I have some awesome people to work with and am looked after very well .

Thanks for the post.

Chris