Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:46:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Nail trim !!

Started by MinUph, May 10, 2011, 03:40:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

Just to blow off some pain. In the last day and a half all I have done was hammer in 3000 brass nails. I don't want to see another one for at least a week  :P
  I figured it out I can do 125 an hour. I never had that figure to work with before some something good came out of it besides the project.
  I don't think I have ever installed that many before in my 30 years of tacking things.
  My hands are killing me.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

I bet they are. I have never come even  close to that number.

They need to make a pneumatic gun that shoots those things. I rarely drive a nail anymore and use my guns for that chore. I guess we have gotten spoiled with all the pneumatic guns and staplers on the market.

I can remember using a hand stapler that you had to squeeze and that would make your hand sore after a half days use.

I know who to call now if I need help with putting in brass nails. :)

Chris

Darren Henry

QuoteThey need to make a pneumatic gun that shoots those things

They do. I got to work with one during that Lethbridge experiment of '08. Sweet piece of kit --- but you need to use a lot of deco-nails to justify the $$. The ones I looked at on line when I got back were $1500-2000.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

Quote from: Darren Henry on May 10, 2011, 04:54:05 pm
QuoteThey need to make a pneumatic gun that shoots those things

They do. I got to work with one during that Lethbridge experiment of '08. Sweet piece of kit --- but you need to use a lot of deco-nails to justify the $$. The ones I looked at on line when I got back were $1500-2000.

Good Gawd........... You have to be a Canadian to afford that. :)

I think I will stick to my original plan. f it has 3,000 nails I will hand them Paul's phone number. :)

Chris

Peppy

Yuck. I had a day like that a few years ago. 3 of us tacking away for 8 hours. I invented a pneumatic tacker in my head that day, glad to hear they exist.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

MinUph

Yea I've seen the pneumatics they must be nice. Obviously I don't have one. I wish I had a couple other guys helping on this one but it was just little ol me.
  I'm not by any means trying to solicit nail trim work Chris  ;D
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Here's one:
http://www.stapleheadquarters.com/decorative-nail-gun.html

Not only is the gun expensive, but of course, you gotta buy their nails.
But why should I buy one when all I gotta do is call Paul? :D  :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

That gun shoots collated nail strips. I'd like to see how they look in bare wood. Are there little tabs sticking out on the sides, or are the tabs small enough not to be noticed?

They work our to be about 2 1/2 cents apiece.

If I bought that gun I would certainly want to scrounge up some decorative tack business.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Dang that's a lot o nails. What was the project Paul.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

The job was 2 portable walls 3 panels each. Nail trim on one side (close nailed) panels are 20" x 96".
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

fingers

I;m not convinced any mortal man can knock that many tacks in per hour.
Simply do the math....take an hour and divide it up by however many minutes, then subtract 4 from that, divide the mileage of a hybrid car by a box of a thousand dec. tacks and it doesn't even come close to 125 miles per hour...or wait...how many hours per tack did you say? What I'm trying to say here is I think your math is a little off. Now be honest Paul, do you even drive a hybrid?

MinUph

Quote from: fingers on May 12, 2011, 02:33:36 pm
I;m not convinced any mortal man can knock that many tacks in per hour.
Simply do the math....take an hour and divide it up by however many minutes, then subtract 4 from that, divide the mileage of a hybrid car by a box of a thousand dec. tacks and it doesn't even come close to 125 miles per hour...or wait...how many hours per tack did you say? What I'm trying to say here is I think your math is a little off. Now be honest Paul, do you even drive a hybrid?

A hybrid. I don't even associate with such peoples. I did the math and I was absolutely wrong. 225 per hour or mile (I think), whatever way you want to look at it down there.

You know where you can put that finger :P
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Peppy

Well, I did the math and seems yo me you were right Paul. 125 per hr = 1 per 30secs right? I could be + or - 5 beers or so..
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

fingers

It wasn't that long ago I actually had occasion to time myself knocking in dec. tacks. Don't have that info right in front of me but I will check. I'd be willing to bet you got me beat by at least a few.

fragged8

a tube of 'No Nails' glue would have been quicker

if you didn't want to use it you could always sniff it
and then you wouldn't care how many nails there were heheh

Rich