Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 12, 2024, 06:31:26 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

marking pencils

Started by RandyOnR3, April 20, 2011, 08:12:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyOnR3

April 20, 2011, 08:12:14 am Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:07:03 pm by fragged8
   awhile back I picked up some different colored  marking pencels for vinyl and sunbrella from an art store that worked fantastic and would wipe off with 409 cleaner ...
  problem is, when I used them up and went back to the store, it had closed.. (a sign of the times)
dont remember what kind they were or where to get more....
  does anyone have as sorce for quality marking pencels that will clean off the vinyl????????????

Saddleman

I really like these and have been using for a couple of years now.  Marking will come off with water.  I do keep an electric pencil sharpener on the cutting table because the "lead" is soft and the point goes away quickly.

http://www.rexart.com/mar_omnichrom.html

fragged8

I use fabric wash out pencils from Northcoast marine.

http://www.canvastraining.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=367

and have just discovered vanishing ink pens which are brilliant
on white PVC. just a tiny bit of moisture and the ink vanishes
like magic. Might not work in areas with high humidity though.

been using mine today, highly recommended

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLUE-DISAPPEARING-VANISHING-INK-PENS-MARKERS-6-Pack-/400196745956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2d95bae4

Mike8560

April 20, 2011, 04:51:50 pm #3 Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:54:53 pm by Mike8560
I have  wash out white like rich.
mIne are kinda soft and it's hard to get or keep a point maybe it's just being in Florida
dint do it up north.
On vinyl seating I mark and cut from the backside I use a taylor crayon.  

Jim101

I'm cheap and use the good ole' Rose Art or Crayola colored pencils for marking on most type of fabrics.

The color usually wipes off easily with just plain water. 

My wife likes to visit the yard sales on weekends and often comes back with gallon sized baggies filled with the colored pencils for a $1.00 or so including a sharpener!

Jim

seamsperfect

I use white china markers for everything I trace, except white leather I use black.
Kevin

Mojo

I use a carpenters finish pencil in areas that will not show. In areas that could bleed through I use tailors chalk.

Like Mike, I mark and cut from the backside.

Chris

seamsperfect

Quote from: Mojo on April 21, 2011, 02:37:25 am
Like Mike, I mark and cut from the backside.
Chris

For vinyl I just us a good ole #2 pencil on back as well.
Kevin

jsquail

I bought some marking pencils from Manart-Hirsch. They only come in white, but wipe off clears and rub off fabrics easily.

Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Can-Vas

I use these in white or yellow:
  http://www.staedtler.com/Lumocolor_non_permanent_omnichrom_gb.Staedtler

but they seem to be getting hard to find....

I used to use the ones Rich and Mike use but they didn't seem to sharpen very well for me (white 'lead' would break all the time)

H
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

fragged8

the white markers can't be sharpened with a pencil sharpener
Howard, I use a knife and leave a little sliver of wood on one side
for support.

Rich

Mike8560

My white one used to be good and last till the  nub a pecil sharper was fi e electric better.  Now the brat al the time as Howard said. I have found a cheap hand one like I had as a kid In school a wall mih t or eletric they generly break before I get it out and a knice rich it breaks as I take the blade  to it