Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 15, 2024, 12:53:44 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

gemini products - folding frame

Started by stitchm, May 02, 2011, 06:02:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stitchm

Does anyone have thoughts on using the gemini 1" hinge in bimini/dodger tops with upwards of a 10' width?

I'm looking at how the added cost of shipping full 20' lengths of 1" ss could be avoided by assembling 10' pieces via the gemini hinge. Likely a full piece crown sectioned joined to leg pieces would have greater strength integrity than locating a hinge in the middle of the crown..(prob. a bad idea?)

http://www.geminicanvas.com/gemlock.htm

Mike8560

My tubing only come in 20 foot or 24 foot lengths  10' that would need to be trucked also wouldn't it ?  I would t think it a good idea  and why would you say it there for if not on a spreder bar or somthing. 
My bayliner 32 had a custom top as all the motoryachts came from the factory without canvas.  It was 1" stainless welded in the center

JuneC

I'd never put a hinge in a frame except in a spreader bar.  If shipping 10' lengths really saves you that much money, you could have a local welder join the pieces with a plug inside the tube for a few bucks.  I had a welder in the shipyard where our shop is just the other weld a broken bimini frame for a customer and he did a beautiful job for just $10.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields