Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 12:28:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The Beast.

Started by Grebo, October 28, 2011, 02:03:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

October 28, 2011, 02:03:59 am Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 02:07:17 am by Grebo

One of the sail repair / making machines at the Volvo Ocean Race Village.
Driven by compressed air, portable as well, fits nicely into it's little 40 foot shipping container.  :P

I will not be getting my pinkies any where near it   :o

May be this little one would be better.

Suzi

JuneC

:o  Holy Cow!  I could stitch up my ripped jeans on that thing - without taking them off. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

We come across these quite a bit.  Seiko/Consew SKZ-6 head, cut, lengthened, and on one machine raised arm.  Only a few companies in the world who would do this kind of work on sail making machines.  One seems to have an older Jentchman (sp.) puller.  Not as exotic as it may look, to me anyways around these parts.  Certainly not something a canvas or upholstery guy would be able to use.  Sail making machines of this type get very expensive very quickly. 

Grebo

The Sanya team have one even bigger  :o but I haven't sneaked a piccy yet  ;D

Suzi

fragged8

y thanks Grebo, makes me feel a whole lot better about
getting rid of my long arm  :'(

bobbin

What sorts of operations are they performing with that set up, Grebo?  It's not a zig-zag or a triple throw machine is it?  I was thinking it might be used to along the leech, luff (up toward the head of the sail) or esp. the foot where multiple thickness (reinforcements) add a lot of bulk to any stitching chore?

A good friend of mine runs the canvas dep't. in a very nice sail loft and when I went up to check out his new digs I was blown away by some of the specialized machinery in the place.  VERY cool, indeed. 

Grebo

I am not sure bobbin, I will try & get another nosy about before they get it all packed up.
They have one machine which is soley for sewing through the sail headboards.  :o Needles like 6" nails.

Suzi