Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 04:17:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Juki 563 & cheap thread

Started by bluesky, April 28, 2011, 01:16:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesky

We teach upholstery and have a Juki 563 which is having a problem with thread wrapping around the bobbin lever.
I am trying to narrow down the culprit to thread/needle mismatch, wrong bobbin, thread tension, user error, ?
Sometimes students bring in thread which matches their fabric.
Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks

bobbin

Are you putting the bobbin in the bobbin case properly?  (check your operator's manual)

Prewound bobbins or "roll your owns"?

bluesky

Roll your own steel bobbins.
Yes, they are in correctly.

bobbin

Adjust the tension on your bobbin winder.  It's probably too loose. 

Consider the addition of an anti-spin washer. 

kodydog

If I don't hold my thread, on my singer, when I first start sewing it will do that almost every time. But that's probably to simple of a solution.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

Kody., no solution is ever "too simple".  Ever.  More information is always better.  :)

BUT: 

Nothing tops possession of an operator's manual and a mechanic's manual.  If you have those 2 you're "golden".  Anyone with an industrial (any!) machine ought to have both in their possession. 

sofadoc

Are you talking about the TOP thread wrapping the bobbin? If so, I wouldn't think that any bobbin tension problems would be the culprit.
I would lean toward your "user error" suspicion.
My grandmother sewed on a Singer 16-188 all her life. Occasionally, she would try to sew something on our Juki 562. I NEVER had any problems with thread wrap on that machine. It would take HER about a nanteenth of a second to get the thread thoroughly tangled up.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bluesky

Yes, Sofadoc, that seems to be the case here.
I can untangle and run a test seam, then walk away.  Five minutes later the student complains again.
We tell them about holding the thread off to the right when starting up.  I still think it may be thread quality.  Guess I'll have to buy a spool of every color in quality thread.
Thanks for the feedback.

gene

April 29, 2011, 05:30:26 pm #8 Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:40:17 pm by gene
Thread is left and right twisted. Make sure you are using left twisted.

If the top thread is wrapping around the bobbin lever, the part that is under the closed hatch, the only way I know how to do this is to not hold the top thread tightly while you start to sew.

Also, the manual shows the bobbin thread to come off the bobbin, through that little slit, so that when the bobbin is in the case, and you pull the bobbin thread out of the sewing machine, the bobbin will turn clockwise.

I was shown to put the bobbin in the other way. When you pull the thread out through the little slit in the bobbin case, the bobbin turns counter clockwise. This allows for a bit more tension inside the bobbin case and it keeps the thread from wrapping up inside the bobbin as often as it would otherwise.

Finally, are you using a red bobbin? Black and silver and white bobbins cause trouble all the time. It's the red, red, bobbin that goes bop-bop-bopin' along. (You can share this with your students the next time they get frustrated.)

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Pretty corny Gene. A lot of people on this sit aren't old enough to get that one. Hell I'm not old enough.

Cheryl

You don't have to be old to appreciate good music.   :)

@ Gene..  You sir, are in fine form tonight!
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

kodydog

Didn't Michael Jackson do a cover of that song?

Mojo

Yes he did................ I sure didn't like his cover either....:)

Thanks for the tip gene. I just went and threw out all my red bobbins. :)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on April 30, 2011, 06:32:16 am
Thanks for the tip gene. I just went and threw out all my red bobbins. :)

You obviously didn't listen to Gene very well. You were supposed to KEEP the red ones!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban