Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 04, 2024, 02:21:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

juki lu-563

Started by GRUMPYONE, April 18, 2011, 04:03:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GRUMPYONE

Hello i am looking a juki lu-563 for upholstery work. I worked part time at a shop and we used a artisan 797 8001 for our work. I have been lurkinig for some time and it is a hard decision to make on a machine.  The market is slammed with all kinds of machines.  It has taken me some time to save enough coins to get a machine and i want to make my purchase a good one. 

My name is ben and live in chattanooga tn.   I am getting into upholstery work for fun and will be doing alot for some friends i have. I am working on a 31 brookville roadster rpu that is mine and going with imutation leather and gator inserts.  I know i will be sewing through some small cardboard for stitching.  I just wanted to know if the juki lu-563 is as good as a new consew 206rb-5. 

Please help i know that newbies can be a pain.  I have been to the web sites and i think i have serched so much that no i got myself confused  ;D .  I have also looked at nks206.  I know i want a servo motor and a smaller pulley to slow it down.  I am not looking for a bonniville speed record setter.  I will be using a 22 needle and probably 69-92 thread.  I know the juki 563 is top bobbin and others are side load.
recomend me the machine all wize sewers.

thanks Ben

Grebo

Welcome Ben, I know what you mean about getting confused with all the choice  ???
Can't help with that but the machine men will be along soon.  ;D

The only pains we get here are the one's that don't bother to come back & say thanks  ;)

Suzi

gene

April 18, 2011, 05:08:56 am #2 Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:12:45 am by gene
Hey Ben,

If you do a SEARCH on this forum for both machines. You will find an incredible amount of info.

This past December a colleague needed the money more than a second sewing machine. I paid her asking price for a Juki lu-562. This is the same as a lu-563 but has a smaller bobbin. This lu-562 still has 99.999% of the original paint on it. This means it was rarely used. I'm the 3rd owner. Even with the cost of a full physical, I'm still close to the cost of a new Chandler or Highlead.

I got lucky in that my machine is in excellent condition.

There's also a lot of info on this forum about servo motors. I've learned that most so called 'servo' motors are simply variable speed motors. Sewing automotive and cardboard you may was to make sure you get a motor that has top power when it starts, and that it does not need to 'pick up speed' in order to get to full power.

There are great finds out there in used machines, but if you want to make sure you do not go wrong, you may want to consider buying a new Chandler or Highlead from Bob or Gregg on this board. I have read only positive things about both of these guys.

Good luck,

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

GRUMPYONE

Yea i know about the whole jump in and not say thank you. I am on alot of sites but for traditional rods.  I promise i always thank and this is a pre- thank you to all the members who have taken the time to read this post.  The point about the speed of the servo has been over looked by me.  Thanks for pointing this out i now have something to add for my wish list.  I have serched out sewrite, all the way to adler.  I dont have alot of coins so would like my buy and good investment.  

Thanks guys for the info.

sofadoc

Hi Grump.
It really depends on the asking price of the 563. If it is in good running condition, and you can get it for $500-$600, it's a good deal. If they want more than that, you're getting close to the cost of the new ones that Gene mentioned.
If it needs some work, I don't think I'd give more than $200 for it.
I have a 30+ year old 562. It sews just as well as my 10 year old LU-1508.
Again, if the price and the condition of the machine are right, you'll be happy with the 563.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

GRUMPYONE

Thanks for the replys. I just went ahead and bought it.  I gave a little more than what you sugested, but not alot.  I think it will work for me. It is on new stand reconditioned, and came some extras.  Ill post some pics of it up when i get it. Also will post a pic or two of brookville when it comes back from paint.  Thank you for all the help, this has got to be one of the hardest disissions i have ever made.   :D

I

bobbin

I am right in line with Gene and Sofa. on their assessment of a used 563.  I have two brand new machines now, but have several very nice machines that came to me (well!) used.  I can't fault any of the used equipment I've owned. 

In fact, I passed a Juki 562 along to a new owner last year.  I got $600 for it and frankly, couldn't believe my good luck.  It had a new clutch motor and a new bench top, over a dozen bobbins, a decent needle assortment, and a couple of feet.  I had also put a new hook in it.  It was a very serviceable machine, but if I were you I'd look for a 563, the small bobbins are a real pain, esp. if you want to use heavy thread (92 or 138). 

seamsperfect

Grumpy did you like your Artisan 797.  I bought one 8 years ago and still use it. I recently bought a Highlead 618sc which is the same machine as the Artisan 618.  If you liked the Artisan you will like the Highlead.  They are priced right as well.
Kevin