Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 02:17:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bow Sizes

Started by Allan, April 10, 2011, 03:15:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Somewhere I have seen a web site or a file on making bows for bimini covers etc. outlining the diameter tube sizes for a particular span etc.

Does anyone know where to find this??

I have a friend building a 30 ft sailing catamaran
I have done all the covers for the boat and about to do the tramps but now he wants a bimini to cover the cockpit and it is pretty wide.

Allan

Mike8560

I'd say 8 1/2' wide is pushing it for 7/8" tubing.
Over that I'd go 1"

Altought my bayliner 2318 ha a skonney bridge  with 1"
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/BLue%20Dolphin%201/100_1866.jpg

fragged8

I mostly use 1" and dont bother with 7/8" as it's just more steel
to stock, the smallest i do is 3/4 but only for boats up to 22-23ft

Peppy

This is what your looking for?

http://marinefabricatormag.com/articles/0909_f1_frame.html

I'm not sure I agree with every thing he says though. I forget. I read it a while ago.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Allan

Thanks Peppy

Getting closer but not the one
The one i am thinking of had diagrams etc.

The bows on my one will be in stainless steel not alloy so that has to be taken into consideration also

Allan

JuneC

I saw a wide-beam bimini lately where the fabricator had put in supports at an angle between the upright part of the leg and horizontal, only on the inside bows.  It was a very large top, but still done in 7/8".  In spite of the angular braces underneath, there was no impact to headroom.  Rather clever design.  I should have taken pictures.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Formula used to have a vertical
support at the rear bow June to prevent  side to side shake

Allan

This bimini is to be 3.1 meters wide and 2 meters deep
I am trying to talk him into a hard top with clears around the sides and front rather than a soft top

Allan

regalman190

I agree....anything over 8-1/2 or 9 foot should be 1". However, if I'm adding a camper back to an already existing enclosure, I'll usually match what is already there and add supports. And, I've seen a lot of wide beam boats with 7/8 tubing, usually stainless, not aluminum. Don't know if I agree, but they are out there.
Regal Canvas

Mike8560

Seems photobucket is having maintanance.
Funny thing on bows when I first started canvas I did t bend tubing. I just used thoose kits with the 7/8" aluminum 3 piece per bow kits you  rivited together  probley have used them.
Anyway a guy with a 36 or 38 carver aft cabimhad a bridge Bimini but wanted to have a top on the adtdeck that attached to the bridge with an enclosure   New. CAnvas on the bridge also.
So I built a aft deckk frame with theese kit I think I had 2 of the crown sections to make it wide enough
and upright supports at the stern rail to add suport.
It tuned ok ok a d the customer loved it.  It was my first larger boat  and I did t want to turn down good money at the time  after that I got a bender  lol.   

RandyOnR3

around here, Marine Canvas is our speciality..   I uasally use 7/8s up to about 8 feet max, and then switch to 1 inch up to about 9 to 10 feet.. anything over 10 feet I use 1&1/4...... and if the boat is a sailboat and used Offshore, 1 inch stainless for smaller boats and 1&1/4 for anything 32 feet and above..
   The 1&1/4 is a bear to bend but sure comes out pretty when finished and allows the use of the Bimini to be used as a rack for solar panels if desired.. done a few of the bimini / solar installs.....