Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 09:28:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

how to staple hidem?

Started by timtheboatguy, April 01, 2011, 03:18:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timtheboatguy

Are there any tricks or a special tool to hold the hidem open so you can staple it down? My hands feel like they have been ran over by truck from fighting with this stuff!
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

DBR1957

Narrow nose staple gun like a BEA. Duofast tip is pretty thick.

Don't pull on the hidem, let it be relaxed while stapling.

Spray the tip of the gun with some silicone so it will slide through
the hidem.

On straight runs tack one end then the other, then tack at center and
fill in between.

I'm sure others will offer their tricks.

Mike8560

why do you dsay not to pull it ill staple one end then the other but it seems it pulls and ive not had a problem?

JuneC

Interesting you should bring this up.  I took apart a seat last week - first one I've ever seen with the staples running across the hydem, rather than in line with the channel.  It made for a really nice, flat installation, especially on the corners.  The staples were standard 3/8" crown and while I can get my stapler to reproduce what this upholsterer had done, it wasn't easy.  I might do it that way on curved corners, but on straight runs, it's going to be staples in line like always. 

Oh, and silicone on the stapler nose works great. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

DBR1957

Quote from: Mike8560 on April 01, 2011, 04:39:15 pm
why do you dsay not to pull it ill staple one end then the other but it seems it pulls and ive not had a problem?

Depending on the hidem used I've found that the added tension of pulling it wants to make the gap close and the staple gun tip pop out. If using the hidem with the gimp sewn on either side of the gap then this isn't an issue. It really depends on how much it's being pulled though. A little tension isn't a bad thing.

Seems like the OP was using hidem for the first time and my suggestions were geared with that in mind. Those of us with more experience may have developed techniques that help us overcome the hidem gremlims (hopefully, I still have my off days).

MinUph

Seems like this might be over simplified but once the gun in in the grove slide it through don't take it out for each staple.
  Also stated was some guns have a thick nose. I normally grind these to a narrower profile. Use lots of water while grinding to keep it cool so you don't soften the metal.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

timtheboatguy

Thanks for the tips! I will look at modifing my staple gun and try the silicone too. I have fought with hidem in the past but this perticular roll hates me. The stuff is very soft and pliable so I thought it would be easier to work with but not so, and how much Ibuprofen can you take in a day!  :)
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

DBR1957

Quote from: timtheboatguy on April 01, 2011, 09:46:03 pm
how much Ibuprofen can you take in a day!  :)

Enough to get the job done? Check with your doctor first.

At one time I had what my GP said was tendonitis of the flexor tendons in my hands. After explaining what I did with my hands all day he told me to find a new career. Prescribed 800mg Ibuprofen as needed. A neurologist said it was overworked carpal tunnel and also told me to change jobs.

Since I take so much Ibuprofen I just bought stock in the manufacturer. Figured what I buy will increase the stock value a lot! Gonna sell the day before I retire. ;)

Lynn

Also try a little heat (I use steam) to soften the hydem. Makes it easier to manipulate around curves too.
Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!

jsquail

I just did a seat job with hidem. I got the seaquest matching hidem from Manart and had no issues with it. The stuff stapled nicely and went around corners/bends with ease. It felt very supple to me, held its sahpe and form wonderfully and went back to its shape immediately after being stapled.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas