Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 10:57:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What would you charge for a morring cover restitch???

Started by Therapy, April 02, 2011, 08:57:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Therapy

ok what should i charge its my 1st one
  its off of a 03 27ft. sea ray
  remove all the old vinyl binding
  install new 3/4" Sunbrella binding 45' long
  re stitching all the seams
  washing the cover
I just love the new binding folder but the snaps hang on it
sometimes and the presser foot would hit or run over the snaps
so i had to hand wheel over them
         Thanks  Mike H
Juki 563

SHHR

Assuming the cover is intact and just needing re-stitched I would probably allow at least 6 hrs labor. It's tedious work setting there with a razor blade cutting the old binding off without damaging the canvas. If you're washing it too I'm guessing it is canvas so I'd sell them a treatment too like with Aquatite or something comparable. There's guys on here who I know without a doubt can stitch through it very fast and good, again I think you'll find he little things will take up most of your time on it. So I believe at least 6hrs plus material is a fair quote. If it takes less time pass that on to the customer and they'll be thrilled at the savings.
Kyle

DBR1957

Standard cover to top of windshield or over windshield?

I'd really have to see it but for what you're doing $500 comes to mind. I'm considering many of the snaps have to be removed if they will interfere with the sewing. You don't want to hang up and shatter a needle. Bad for your eyes!

If it's seven years old you definitely want to test the integrity of the fabric. A re-stitch is worthless if the material rips shortly after the job. I've yet to have it happen on a Sunbrella cover but I've done re-stitch jobs on those out-of-the-box storage covers and polyester covers where the customer brought the cover back with a rip. The re-stitch makes those areas strong and the next weak link shows up shortly afterwards.

Sunbrella softens with age so you have to maintain tension before and after the needle to inhibit the stitch line from gathering the seam. This will result in the cover not fitting properly.

Did you take the cover off the boat? If this is a customer drop off do not warrant the fit. Don't know how many times I've had the customer tell me it fit fine then hear about problems afterwards. Look for the tell-tale signs where the cover may have stretched at the snaps or areas like corners where it's obvious the material was too tight and pulled back up the edge of the boat.

If it has vinyl binding I doubt it's a factory cover.

Mike8560

Sounds like it's a snap o. Cockpit cover
I couldn't get that much from my custer base I'd vet about 2 hours labor and extra 65 for the binding I ask $ 225 And I'll also sneak past the snaps rebinding  ot to break a needle

Grebo

Quote from: Mike8560 on April 02, 2011, 02:33:36 pm
Sounds like it's a snap o. Cockpit cover
I couldn't get that much from my custer base I'd vet about 2 hours labor and extra 65 for the binding I ask $ 225 And I'll also sneak past the snaps rebinding  ot to break a needle

Similar price,  I would tell them it's a rough estimate & that I charge xx per hour + bits  & it depends on how long it takes, but I don't do cleaning so don't know what to charge on that. If you are replacing the binding because the stitches are gone there is a good chance the whole lot has & it will just pull off by hand.
but of course quote for the unpicking.
If they are just snaps & a bit wobbly chop them off & charge for replacements.

Quote from: DBR1957 on April 02, 2011, 09:56:44 am
If it's seven years old you definitely want to test the integrity of the fabric. A re-stitch is worthless if the material rips shortly after the job. I've yet to have it happen on a Sunbrella cover but I've done re-stitch jobs on those out-of-the-box storage covers and polyester covers where the customer brought the cover back with a rip. The re-stitch makes those areas strong and the next weak link shows up shortly afterwards.

Did you take the cover off the boat? If this is a customer drop off do not warrant the fit. Don't know how many times I've had the customer tell me it fit fine then hear about problems afterwards. Look for the tell-tale signs where the cover may have stretched at the snaps or areas like corners where it's obvious the material was too tight and pulled back up the edge of the boat.

Good advise take note
:D

Suzi

baileyuph

On this one, the customer should be briefed on what the magnitude of work is involved and further analysis is necessary to determine if the old cover justifies this level of effort.

There is considerable risk in what is about to be done and it not working out to be a servicable cover.  

Further analysis to determine quality of the canvas, is it worth it in other words, and has it shrunk to much over time.  

In short, avoid leading the customer to understand that the cover is worth the investment or isn't.  Sewing seams and replacing binding would be a lot of work to end up with fit and integrity problems with the old cover.

Then, with this understanding, and work proceeds with the given cost and risk, at least the customer was briefed on all circumstances.

Curious, what would be the difference in fabricating a new cover compared to the comprehensive task of unsewing, removing snaps where necessary, washing, and completely resewing the existing cover?  Then, with this knowledge, if one decided to save the cover how long would it last, compared to a new fabrication?

It certainly seems a spot repair here and there would be a lot more feasible than undoing and remanufacturing the old cover.

Let the customer know up front!

Doyle

Mike8560

I didn't see washing myself the most i doo is lay it out hose it off and scrub it with a soft brush. Waterproofifneeded. As far as picking the stitches out of binding that dosent pull off I use a utility blade a d running aLong the edge cerry quick. I ca. Usually sneak past the exisiting snaps while binding so unless they have to go they stay side cutter or sykes will take the snaps off easy.
And first I'll note if the csn as is rottonplank or  not just tearing with my fingers.
I'll tell them that the can as may tear at the new stitches I. The future due to the quality of the canvas

Therapy

April 03, 2011, 06:43:23 am #7 Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:46:55 am by Therapy
   Thanks for the info everyone  
 it is over windshield cover Sunbrella mat.
 and it was  bunching up or gathering on me a little in between the snaps
 Im thinking $300 no snap replacement
 ill take some pic and report back.

thanks  Mike H

Juki 563

DBR1957

We get many requests for re-stitch jobs and I always give my honest assessment to the customer. The customer doesn't always like what I tell them and at times I've refused to perform the service because I knew they would be wasting money. More than once they found someone else to do it only to come back and ask me to make a new cover. This is often accompanied with an apology for not listening to me and a thank you for being honest.

Guess who gets a long term customer? Guess what that customer is going to tell his marina neighbors?

fragged8

when i'm doing a restitch i tell the customer I will only do it
on an hourly rate because the time can be an unknown.
especially when you have to take seams apart to get to another piece
that needs repairing or removing fitting etc.

Rich

Grebo

Quote from: DBR1957 on April 03, 2011, 08:25:44 am
We get many requests for re-stitch jobs and I always give my honest assessment to the customer. The customer doesn't always like what I tell them and at times I've refused to perform the service because I knew they would be wasting money. More than once they found someone else to do it only to come back and ask me to make a new cover. This is often accompanied with an apology for not listening to me and a thank you for being honest.

Guess who gets a long term customer? Guess what that customer is going to tell his marina neighbors?

Ditto   ;D     & Guess who's still in business when the other stitcher has disappeared  :P
Quote from: fragged8 on April 03, 2011, 12:40:08 pm

when i'm doing a restitch i tell the customer I will only do it
on an hourly rate because the time can be an unknown.
especially when you have to take seams apart to get to another piece
that needs repairing or removing fitting etc.

Rich

:o I never do that Rich, taking it apart, no way man. Over stitch only.
& if it's been done before I just plain refuse saying it's company policy no double restitching.

Mike8560

I think Rich meant take apart  like when a sem on a top is inder a pocket and the pocket has to go in order to sew the full seam.

Grebo

fragged8